***2024 NFL Draft***

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Poor Chad.....

I think what holds Iowa players back from being 1st round picks is that they spend their entire college career playing zone coverage. Also, over the last 10 years Iowa hasn't exactly been battle tested by good offenses. It's not a knock on the players, it's a knock on the system IMO.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
he had been cleared to workout for like 2 weeks before he put up those numbers
That doesn't change size measurables. Also not like he was sitting on a couch for 5 months before that. Could his other numbers be better, sure but not by some significant margin. My point is that they are the same size and DeJean is maybe a marginally better athlete.

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
And...........you don't think it's a little strange actively rooting for 21 year olds who are from our own state to fail miserably?

I dont want yo derail this thread, but like I said in the CC thread, it's really bizarre and disturbing behavior for grown men/women to actively trashing players like that.
And again I say, "is this your first time seeing a rivalry?"
Pretty sure Cooper and Caitlyn are going to survive the "torture" that some folks are putting them through. I'm sure they appreciate your fealty, tho.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Im not a Vikings fan but I honestly think JJ is in the right situation to be very good. He goes from being coached by Harbaugh, to O'Connell. Hes 27-1 and a national champion with great ball placement and is mobile with a very strong arm. IMO he may turn out to be the 2nd best QB in this draft all said and done.

I'm a Vikes fan and don't love the pick TBH. JJ played behind the best line in college with a run game that completely opened up the field.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
That doesn't change size measurables. Also not like he was sitting on a couch for 5 months before that. Could his other numbers be better, sure but not by some significant margin. My point is that they are the same size and DeJean is maybe a marginally better athlete.

he broke his leg, do you think he was running windsprints over the winter?

My point is, being a marginally better athlete than Riley Moss (who is an exceptional athlete) is a very big deal. In that league, those small differences are extremely important.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Anyway, I thought the Bears had the best first round. Not totally fair given they had the #1 and #9 picks but even though I have a healthy dose of skepticism about Williams, getting Odunze at 9 was absolutely fantastic luck.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I'm a Vikes fan and don't love the pick TBH. JJ played behind the best line in college with a run game that completely opened up the field.
No doubt, but that doesnt mean he cant adjust and continue to grow and get better. Maybe it takes a a couple years but as long as there is growth year 1 which I think O'Connell can do

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
No doubt, but that doesnt mean he cant adjust and continue to grow and get better. Maybe it takes a a couple years but as long as there is growth year 1 which I think O'Connell can do

Yeah I don't disagree, just saying that's my concern. He could also be a total bust too.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Yeah I don't disagree, just saying that's my concern. He could also be a total bust too.

Well of course he can, all of them can. He's young, pretty athletic and it cost you one first round pick (plus a day 3 pick). If it doesn't work out, it won't hold the franchise back much. That's a pretty good deal considering had they traded both first round picks and a future second to pick him at 5 nobody would have killed them.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I'm still scratching my head on the Penix selection. I like him a lot as a QB, but he will only have a year or two on his rookie deal before he plays regularly if Cousins stays healthy. It seemed like Atlanta was just desparate for a QB.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I do, 90% of people here were actively trashing the best women's basketball player in the country who also happens to be from Des Moines. Why would this be any different?

It's a hint of jealousy combined with obsession. It's pretty obvious from comments on here alot of Iowa State people watch more Iowa sporting events than their actual fans.

Meh... Iowa fans did the same thing with Purdy. Actively mocked us when Lazard (from Urbandale!) went undrafted. Its a rivalry.

I don't get a Cooper DeJean and Caitlin Clark check from the State of Iowa every month so why do I really care where they are from? Them being good doesn't get Iowa State closer to winning titles just like neither of them gets the Bears closer to winning the super bowl. Which are the 2 things that I care about in this situation.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I'm always concerned for QBs who played only on teams who were so good at every single position that QB alone wasn't really that big of a challenge.
This 100%. The only guys in recent history who fits this bill and has succeeded (so far) are Joe Burrow and CJ Stroud. Jaylin Hurts too I suppose

Jury is out: Trevor Lawerence, Tua

Busts (so far): Bryce Young, Mac Jones, Justin Fields, Stetson Bennet, Jake Fromm, etc.

The best QBs in the game right now went to: Texas Tech, Louisville, Wyoming, LSU, Mississippi State, Cal, Iowa State ;)

Reactions: cyfanatic

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
he broke his leg, do you think he was running windsprints over the winter?

My point is, being a marginally better athlete than Riley Moss (who is an exceptional athlete) is a very big deal. In that league, those small differences are extremely important.
Okay, tell me how much faster you think he would have run and how much higher he would have jumped. Because its going to be <5%, unless you think he was going to break 40 time records, etc.

Again, the point I'm making is that he's not this insane, once in a lifetime, type of athlete that he get's made out to be. He's a great athlete and a very good player. He's also very comparable to lots of other players, including his former teammate who was a 3rd rounder one year ago. Therefore it's not some remarkable thing that he wasn't a first rounder.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I'm still scratching my head on the Penix selection. I like him a lot as a QB, but he will only have a year or two on his rookie deal before he plays regularly if Cousins stays healthy. It seemed like Atlanta was just desparate for a QB.
As a Vikings fan, I found this selection quite hilarious.