Column: Are Iowa State & West Virginia rivals?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
That was odd... I agree, but it is more than a stretch, it is a plain and simple no. As we all know we have one real rival and that is it. Just leave it at that, nobody needs a weak fabrication it doesn't even make for interesting discussion. I'm even bored typing this. :)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
[video=youtube;L30BRQxeHfs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L30BRQxeHfs[/video]

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I'd say the events leading up to it and the emotion wrapped up in it between our teams seems to be heading towards the route of a rivalry. It seems like genuine "bad-blood" to me. If you were looking for a fabricated example of a rivalry then look at Neb and Iowa.. Didn't they have a "rivalry" trophy for their very first match-up in football two years ago?

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
The only time I've seen Hilton like it was tonight is against Kansas and Iowa.

I though the exact same thing as well. If you were there tonight, Hilton was on a whole other level. The crowd was out for blood and just relentless. What may have started out as a manufactured rivalry, is starting to take on a life of it's own. I'm cool with that. WVU, for some reason that I can't explain, is starting to remind me of Nebraska.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I view them as rivals in both basketball and football because I hold grudges forever. Football is that punk Gino Smith with Wally, and bball is that punk Harris with Morris.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I hope so.

When Nebraska joined the B1G, we all got told about how big of a rivalry they'd always been, and everyone sort of just scratched their head and said "really?"

But when WV joined, the Big XII said "so, we know there's nothing there, really, but if you wouldn't mind terribly much, would you two mind being rivals for us?"

And we all shrugged, looked at each other, and said "yeah, we can probably do that..."

And so far we've both been doing our level best to hate each other. I kinda feel like this is the best type of new rivalry.

We aren't trying to pretend the rivalry is old or deep. We know we aren't going to fool anyone. We aren't putting a silly name on the game (like, for example, something random like... the Heroes game or something lame that no one would ever do for real....), or trying to hype it at all. We're just learning to hate each other.

And if finding new people to hate, who also hate you, isn't what college sports are all about, well, I don't think I like what college sports has become.

Plus, I'm really really going to hate seeing Staten for 2 more years. I mean, seriously. That kid.

Last edited:

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yes. One of my good buddies from High School goes to WVU and plays on the football team. We love each other until days like today

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
I haven't been so ready for a game as I was tonight. I was seriously ****** after we played them in morgantown. It felt good stomping them tonight just like it feels good stomping Iowa (of course I'd rather stomp Iowa) but its not a full blown rivalry yet but feeling more like it all the time.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Yes. West Virginia and Kansas are both becoming rivals. I'd love for Nebraska to make the tournament and face us too, even though I'd much rather beat them in a bowl game.

Iowa is our only "true" rival with history... But there's a few new ones forming thanks to Hoiberg and CPR.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
even manufactured, we need a school as a rival. I truly doubt KU counts us as a rival the same way evidence probably does now. and it's good for both schools

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
West Virginia sports programs seem to embrace the bad boy persona. As a result, they create the type of experiences that lead to rivalries. Throwing a haymaker at your opponent is a perfect example.

It is fun to have games that create their own energy. I don't care what you call them. I was amped for last nights game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Wasn't it 102-77, not 107-77? Just being picky here.

I think it takes more sustained intensity and probably some closer and even more heated games to make a rivalry. This one just might be on the way.
Right now, the hillbillies just seem like an irritant, but not someone to obsess over like we would a rival.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
This is basically us and West Virginia over the last two years.

[video=youtube;QzBmQMyYDBk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzBmQMyYDBk[/video]​

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Id rather we start contending for Big 12 titles and become Kansas' conference rival.