Camp Randall is the most overrated place

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
for a football game I have been to yet. The tailgating is horrible. Nobody even showed up until 10:00 for and 11:00 football game. Hawk fans and me were out at 7:30 a.m. ready to go. THe don't start selling beer until 8:00 a.m. across the state.
THen when we get to the game the student section apparently got caught off guard to this 11:00 a.m. thing because they finally finished funnelling into the stadium around the second quarter.
I would have to admitt they are the second best student section I have ever seen. They really have the cheers down. There only problem is it seemed like hardly any of them were into the game and more into having fun.
The rest of the stadium was dead. Just Wisconsin people yelling at the coach and generally being mad. Nobody stood for most of the game. Jack Trice was way louder and even the Hawkeye fans next to me admitted that.
Just a horrible day in Madison.
Good for me we left and went to Green Bay Saturday night and had a freakin blast.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I liked it when I went some years back. Having a nice surrounding city helps.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
for a football game I have been to yet. The tailgating is horrible. Nobody even showed up until 10:00 for and 11:00 football game. Hawk fans and me were out at 7:30 a.m. ready to go. THe don't start selling beer until 8:00 a.m. across the state.
THen when we get to the game the student section apparently got caught off guard to this 11:00 a.m. thing because they finally finished funnelling into the stadium around the second quarter.
I would have to admitt they are the second best student section I have ever seen. They really have the cheers down. There only problem is it seemed like hardly any of them were into the game and more into having fun.
The rest of the stadium was dead. Just Wisconsin people yelling at the coach and generally being mad. Nobody stood for most of the game. Jack Trice was way louder and even the Hawkeye fans next to me admitted that.
Good for me we left and went to Green Bay Saturday night and had a freakin blast.

My boss went to the game on Saturday and said the same things. It wasn't busy until about an hour before kickoff. That's bad.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Believe it or not, there is better tailgating and fans united for the Wisconsin-Whitewater team. Those people go nuts.

Of course, they are winners though.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago

It's been a while since I've been there... but tailgating scene is more of a neighborhood party scene around the stadium and you can't really compare JTS to Camp Randall. Both are unique and both are a blast.

Also, in every student section (including JTS) a majority of the fans are there to have fun and don't really care about the game. Every group has their die hard sports fans, but with them are another couple people there to have fun and be entertained. That's what sports is, entertainment.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I agree, it was a very subdued crowd on Saturday. Quite surprising actually, considering they came out and dominated the first half too. The students not showing up fully until halftime is embarrasing no doubt, but when the whole crowd is there it's a cool atmosphere.

As for the pre-game, it's just a different style but that's what is fun about it. You're exactly right in that there are no tailgates and nobody is out there 5 hours before the game, but what is fun is all the bars w/in walking distance of the stadium packed full. The difference is after the games the bars are packed as well and long into the day, but that's just Wisconsin in general.:wink:

The real problem is these silly 11:00 am Big Ten showdowns.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
As for the pre-game, it's just a different style but that's what is fun about it. You're exactly right in that there are no tailgates and nobody is out there 5 hours before the game, but what is fun is all the bars w/in walking distance of the stadium packed full. The difference is after the games the bars are packed as well and long into the day, but that's just Wisconsin in general.:wink:

The problem I have with Bar tailgating is that I can go to a bar anytime I want to and have fun. Tailgating is reserved for about 6 times out of the year. That is the fun part. Setting up shop with your friends and tailgating next to total strangers that for some reason 6 hours later are your best friends and hope to park next to them the next time. A bar is a bar. Nothing new and nothing exciting or different. It sucked.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
The tailgating outside of JTS was anemic on Saturday. Perhaps it was weather related? A cloud of tailgating malaise was draping the midwest?

Perhaps, but I was too busy enjoying a perfectly smoked brisket sandwich slathered in Gates BBQ sauce to notice much of anything else. :yes:

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
How about the band? There is only 2-3 bands in the country that can tie the UW Band's shoes.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
3956727552_ac1595ed33.jpg

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Guys, I have been to a few places besides ISU. I have been to Iowa CIty, Ann Arbor, Camp Randall, Lawrence a few years ago, Champagne. Out of all those, nothing compared to ISU. Was there more people? Maybe, but they weren't as fun. I went to a South Dakota State game last year and it was an absolute blast. It held it's own against most of the places I had been. I think it goes to show that except in the South, it doesn't matter how good the football program is.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Guys, I have been to a few places besides ISU. I have been to Iowa CIty, Ann Arbor, Camp Randall, Lawrence a few years ago, Champagne. Out of all those, nothing compared to ISU. Was there more people? Maybe, but they weren't as fun. I went to a South Dakota State game last year and it was an absolute blast. It held it's own against most of the places I had been. I think it goes to show that except in the South, it doesn't matter how good the football program is.

um its champaign and the students there go to the bars while the donors tg... dont know why but thats how it works at illinois, I have been to many games there and only donors really tg

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
A little disappointed to hear that. I've always wanted to go to Camp Randall.

I've been to games at Iowa, Minnesota, Mizzou, Nebraska, K-State, and Baylor. None of them are on par w/JTS. K-State was close, and I've always had fun at Iowa, but that's because I know people that have a good, set spot. If I was just going to a game there, I can't imagine it would be as fun. Out of what I've seen it goes...
1) ISU
Drop-off
2) Iowa (but would be below K-State if I was there "randomly")
3) K-State (would be ahead of Iowa in a vaccum)
SEVERE DROP OFF
4) Mizzou (was fun when we there, but the only tailgate lot has since been shut down)
5) Nebraska (not really tailgating like we know, but people were friendly)
6) Minnesota (like Nebraska, but cold)
ANOTHER SEVERE DROP OFF
7) Baylor (aka Tailgate Hell)

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Al I would say nebbys and iowa's are the worst followed by minnys, (havent been up since new stadium). but obvisouly baylor has to suck... why make that trip :skeptical: