BLOG: The evolution of Rodney Coe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
It isn't going to really matter all that much if Coe starts or not. Rhoads himself said that it is going to be a DL by committee again this year. We will have guys running in and out a lot. In fact, the 2's might just play as many downs as the 1's.

So who starts really isn't all that significant. Coe is going to play, and he's going to play a lot, whether he starts or not. We don't really have much choice. I hope at the very least he can just plug up the middle and allow the LBs to make plays. That would be sufficient for year one IMO.

In terms of how much an individual produces that's true, but like in years past the best four guys will start. If Coe is starting it means he's beat somebody else out and is being very productive for the first year player at the position. So if nothing else it at least means he's playing good enough to start, which is something he could be proud of and something that will surely excite Cyclone Nation.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Not necessarily referring to this post in particular, but I'm guessing you're a glass half empty kinda guy, huh?

Seems like a lot of your posts point out what could go wrong. Guess I just don't see the point in constantly spreading a negative attitude about damn near everything?

It's just being a realist. It's not negative. Did I not say expect big things from him next year? I guess differing opinions are a bad thing on here.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
It's just being a realist. It's not negative. Did I not say expect big things from him next year? I guess differing opinions are a bad thing on here.

Kind of why I prefaced my post with, "not necessarily referring to this post"...

I think your opinion on Coe is very fair. It's just when almost every opinion you post has a negative feeling to it, it becomes a fairly irritating thing to read. I understand they're your opinions & you're entitled to them, I was just posting my opinion about your opinions.

Carry on.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
If I recall 'Tuba Rubin was in a late-ending summer Juco class, arrived in Ames on a Tuesday for practice and started on Saturday.

NoJustice

Jul 20, 2013
Here is my biggest fear with Coe. Recruited as a RB. Ate his way to DL. Inconsistent effort. Both signs of lack of discipline. Great plays made followed by where the hell was Rodney on that play?

reminds me of a true fresh who started on the DL at Oklahoma and won a national championship. Big Mo Dampeer. He finally was told by the great coach Mel T he could not play because he could not stop gaining weight. See link.

Big Moe (Lawerence Dampeer) Tackle NWMSU vs UNA - YouTube

NoJustice

Jul 20, 2013
Here is my biggest fear with Coe. Recruited as a RB. Ate his way to DL. Inconsistent effort. Grade issue required a stint at a JuCo. All signs of lack of discipline. Great plays made followed by where the hell was Rodney on that play?

The staff has a challenge here. Especially pressing the issue is lack of depth.

Reminds me of a true fresh who started on the DL at Oklahoma and won a national championship. Big Mo Dampeer. He finally was told by the great coach Mel T he could not play because he could not stop gaining weight. See link.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Here is my biggest fear with Coe. Recruited as a RB. Ate his way to DL. Inconsistent effort. Both signs of lack of discipline. Great plays made followed by where the hell was Rodney on that play?

reminds me of a true fresh who started on the DL at Oklahoma and won a national championship. Big Mo Dampeer. He finally was told by the great coach Mel T he could not play because he could not stop gaining weight. See link.

Maybe the difference is that Rodney doesn't have a big, fat gut--and you're comparing apples to oranges?

I know of someone else who converted from being a big running back in high school to defensive line in college. Michael Carter did okay at SMU.

NoJustice

Jul 20, 2013
Maybe the difference is that Rodney doesn't have a big, fat gut--and you're comparing apples to oranges?

I know of someone else who converted from being a big running back in high school to defensive line in college. Michael Carter did okay at SMU.

Lets hope so. Rod still has to prove the track record of academic issues, inconsistent play, and trouble gaining weight. To date he has ridden talent. That works at a JuCo against 18 and 19 year olds. He will be playing against men. Talented ones when talking Big XII.

Big Moe grew to that big gut. That's the point.

Rooting for him. I just believe his past history that smacks of lack of discipline needs corrected. This isn't IWCC. Nor their competition.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Lets hope so. Rod still has to prove the track record of academic issues, inconsistent play, and trouble gaining weight. To date he has ridden talent. That works at a JuCo against 18 and 19 year olds. He will be playing against men. Talented ones when talking Big XII.

Big Moe grew to that big gut. That's the point.

Rooting for him. I just believe his past history that smacks of lack of discipline needs corrected. This isn't IWCC. Nor their competition.
Academic issues? If he graduated from JC (as he must have), doesn't that break that "track record" of academic issues back in HS?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I have not see RC in person or a picture of him lately either, but Wally was quote as saying he is 305 and looks like 275, so he is probably not the giant tub of goo some of you are picturing. Will this make him a great DL? I sure do not know, but even though his weight gain has been amazing, at least it doesn't sound like it is all flab.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I have not see RC in person or a picture of him lately either, but Wally was quote as saying he is 305 and looks like 275, so he is probably not the giant tub of goo some of you are picturing. Will this make him a great DL? I sure do not know, but even though his weight gain has been amazing, at least it doesn't sound like it is all flab.
That was Shane...and what would he know about it?

After all, when I can make inferences from some vague "facts", what does that compare to the word of a coach who has actually met and worked with the kid? Hello???

:jimlad:

NoJustice

Jul 20, 2013
Academic issues? If he graduated from JC (as he must have), doesn't that break that "track record" of academic issues back in HS?

Why do you think he had to go to IWCC in the first place? I get how some want to defend any prospect blindly. I am more a realist. Lets hope he has matured.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Why do you think he had to go to IWCC in the first place? I get how some want to defend any prospect blindly. I am more a realist. Lets hope he has matured.
I'm realistic enough to know that if a kid STILL had "academic issues", he wouldn't have graduated from a JC in two years.

Is that clear enough?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

He had a problem. He took the measures to fix it. Evidence right seems to say that he grew up a little.

Coe still has to prove himself on the field. I've got no problem with that. Making problems from things that he worked out is redundant to me.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I don't know why he had to go to IWCC in the first place, other than that he didn't qualify academically. I don't know the reason for that, which could be a great many things. Apparently, neither do you, and yet you are making suppositions beyond that fact.

Two years at a JC is plenty of time to establish a new trend. Some players struggle to get their degrees even after three years, plus a summer term. Rodney didn't. I'll give him credit for that.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
There'a a guy who scored TD's as a running back at Texas that now starts at DT for the Bears.

I'm not saying this is the same but jeez, cool it on the "I fear" stuff.