BLOG: The evolution of Rodney Coe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I hope people don't get their hopes up too high for Coe this season. He has played one year of JC at DE. He'd never played on the line before that. Now he is moving inside where he has also never played. You can have the athletic ability in the world but if you don't have the correct technique you won't be very good. I think people should look at this year as a development year for Coe and expect big things next year.

That is true, however technique is something that can be taught, unlike athletic ability. Also, there are times where athletic ability can make up for what lacks in skill. I'm hoping this is the case with Rodney.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I hope people don't get their hopes up too high for Coe this season. He has played one year of JC at DE. He'd never played on the line before that. Now he is moving inside where he has also never played. You can have the athletic ability in the world but if you don't have the correct technique you won't be very good. I think people should look at this year as a development year for Coe and expect big things next year.

I have zero doubt that the Burnhams can teach him at least the basics of DT technique before Aug 31st. We're not talking about someone learning how to play QB for the first time.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I will be surprised if he doesn't start alongside Jensen.

This. I think that it was crucial for him to get into Ames over the summer and he did. At the very least, he's going to be a nice pass rush threat inside this year, but it would be nice to see him start and move Jensen over to NG.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
We need Coe and Irving to explode and live up to their potential.

More of this would be nice :smile: :

[video=youtube;CpaHc8BqPP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpaHc8BqPP4[/video]

As someone who played QB and a little DE I was VERY impressed with that play. Very tough thing to block a ball into the air and catch it all while trying to be engaged by an O-Lineman - not to mention outrun their O for a defensive TD in a pressure situation in the game.

More realistically, I don't expect him to make plays like that all the time (although it would be nice.) I would just like to see more QB pressure/sacks/FF's.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I have zero doubt that the Burnhams can teach him at least the basics of DT technique before Aug 31st. We're not talking about someone learning how to play QB for the first time.
This...I know someone else was saying that as far as learning the position, DT was one of the easiest positions on the team. You don't need to make a lot of decisions like a linebacker or safety.

Apr 19, 2006

I think Coe is going to be more athletic then Ahtyba Rubin and he turned out alright for us. We need a couple of people to step up this year and I'm hoping Coe is one of them. I agree, I think he will have a chip on his shoulder with all the doubters out there.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
This is where all that early season down time should benefit ISU. Fall camp, play UNI, then have the coaches work on what he did wrong for 2 weeks before Iowa comes to town.

Then another bye(?) before the Thursday nighter vs Tulsa. ISU should beat UNI, no matter who lines up. Coe has about 7 weeks to get ready for legit D1 competition this season.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This...I know someone else was saying that as far as learning the position, DT was one of the easiest positions on the team. You don't need to make a lot of decisions like a linebacker or safety.

There's a lot of technique in footwork and what you do with your hands, but yeah, if he's playing NT or DT and is as talented as we hope, he should be okay. I do expect to see him get owned at times early on though. While it may be one of the more "talent based" positions, it's not like you just go out and have it figured out. The problem, for me, is that I think we will need these guys to play smart because you don't have AJ and Jake back there anymore. You can't just go leaving gaps. I could see him starting off as a situation guy and working into the starting lineup mid year or so. I'm sure he's been working and learning from other players to get a head start too. I doubt he's waiting until camp to start his learning.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
There is a lot of talent there, however most of the talent is young and inexperienced. It sure would be nice for a couple of those young guys like Aka or Cousin to step up this year, but I feel in a year or 2, our interior Dline is going to be very strong.

The staff has specifically targeted athletes hoping they can turn them into productive linemen. Converted RBs, TEs, DE's bulking up to play inside. It's very tough to recruit Big12 caliber linemen at ISU so they are trying to get creative. I hope it works!

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
This is where all that early season down time should benefit ISU. Fall camp, play UNI, then have the coaches work on what he did wrong for 2 weeks before Iowa comes to town.

Then another bye(?) before the Thursday nighter vs Tulsa. ISU should beat UNI, no matter who lines up. Coe has about 7 weeks to get ready for legit D1 competition this season.

I see what you did there...and I like it. :biglaugh:

I all reality, Iowa usually has a very good O-line so that will be a true test for Coe and Co.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
To be honest, I'm figuring that with his inexperience, this season he's a spot player, and makes an occasional big play,out of sheer athleticism.

Anything more is just icing on the cake. :wink:

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Not necessarily referring to this post in particular, but I'm guessing you're a glass half empty kinda guy, huh?

Seems like a lot of your posts point out what could go wrong. Guess I just don't see the point in constantly spreading a negative attitude about damn near everything?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Totally agree here, if he is better than that I'll be tickled, I will have patience with him if he cont to work to improve.

To be honest, I'm figuring that with his inexperience, this season he's a spot player, and makes an occasional big play,out of sheer athleticism.

Anything more is just icing on the cake. :wink:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Not necessarily referring to this post in particular, but I'm guessing you're a glass half empty kinda guy, huh?

Seems like a lot of your posts point out what could go wrong. Guess I just don't see the point in constantly spreading a negative attitude about damn near everything?

Don't get him started on how great Peter Jok is.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It isn't going to really matter all that much if Coe starts or not. Rhoads himself said that it is going to be a DL by committee again this year. We will have guys running in and out a lot. In fact, the 2's might just play as many downs as the 1's.

So who starts really isn't all that significant. Coe is going to play, and he's going to play a lot, whether he starts or not. We don't really have much choice. I hope at the very least he can just plug up the middle and allow the LBs to make plays. That would be sufficient for year one IMO.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
In the video, I like that he is really quick to the ball once he gets off the block. I also think his quickness will allow him to get up the field through the gaps. He seems to play pretty low to the ground. He may struggle a little when he isn't shooting a gap, but at 305 he has the size to hold his ground.