Beverly: I will commit to ISU

Stereotype

Apr 23, 2017
Hopefully, he showed some flashes of confidence and what he can do when he nailed a three in one of those games last season, I can't remember which game it was, but that was good and encouraging to see.
It was the big 12 tourney final vs WVU, our starters were on the bench and they were making a run and he just ran past their bigs and took it to the hoop.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Hopefully, he showed some flashes of confidence and what he can do when he nailed a three in one of those games last season, I can't remember which game it was, but that was good and encouraging to see.

He hit two pull up deep ones against TCU. It was garbage time, but I think that showed that it's there when he is just playing without worrying. That's going to be the key with him. Just get him to play and I think he'll be fine. Like maybe Chris Babb fine. He just has to be willing to go out and play.

Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007
You are absolutely correct; and no one will be asking DJ or Wigginton to post up. But not that long ago we had Royce White bringing the ball up the court and Deandre Kane occasionally posting up. Cyclone basketball: embrace ingenuity, baby! :cool:

FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wigginton post up on occasion. The dude is strong.

• Agree
Reactions: Stereotype

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It was the big 12 tourney final vs WVU, our starters were on the bench and they were making a run and he just ran past their bigs and took it to the hoop.

He hit two pull up deep ones against TCU. It was garbage time, but I think that showed that it's there when he is just playing without worrying. That's going to be the key with him. Just get him to play and I think he'll be fine. Like maybe Chris Babb fine. He just has to be willing to go out and play.

The Big 12 championship game last year. Notice the big plays that Jackson and Weiler-Babb were making during our comeback in the early part of the first half.

Nick makes three huge plays in a row -- that run was his. Pretty sweet hookup that he and Jackson had going there. Jackson will unleash hell on people if NWB/Wiggi drive and kick like that. And all that with Monté on the bench as the biggest cheerleader on the team.

upload_2017-5-3_16-0-50.png

Points per minute...

MM = 0.45
DB = 0.47
NML = 0.25 (not his best night, obviously)
MT = 0.40
SY = 0.20

DB = 0.71
NWB = 0.38
DJ = 0.60

If they (Nick and Donovan) can keep up similar efficiency/productivity over longer periods, we will be fine. I would imagine Wiggi will be right there from the start.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah, with all due credit to the starters, there were several times last year where Babb and Jackson came in and helped to kick start a run.

I have many takes on the guards next year but the one I like is DJ being a dark horse B12 POY candidate depending on the surrounding cast. I think he has that scoring ability and I think he can do some facilitating but he needs shooters, I think, to be prolific enough.

The other is Darius McNeil being the non-post off the bench by conference play.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I have many takes on the guards next year but the one I like is DJ being a dark horse B12 POY candidate depending on the surrounding cast. I think he has that scoring ability and I think he can do some facilitating but he needs shooters, I think, to be prolific enough.

The other is Darius McNeil being the non-post off the bench by conference play.

Whoa

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, with all due credit to the starters, there were several times last year where Babb and Jackson came in and helped to kick start a run.

Babb did a a lot of really good things this year that didn't show up on the stat sheet. He knew his role and I expect to see him look like a completely different player next year.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I've been wanting to post something similar but was afraid to get blasted. Kudos.
I agree, and don't think that should be someting that should get blasted. That is what you want/need out of your starters. Basketball is a game of momentum, and your starters aren't always going to bring the momentum to start the game, for one reason or another. Having guys who're itching to get off the benc hand show they can help the team, are the type of guys you need on your team. It is actually One of the reasons I like Beverly so much.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I agree, and don't think that should be someting that should get blasted. That is what you want/need out of your starters. Basketball is a game of momentum, and your starters aren't always going to bring the momentum to start the game, for one reason or another. Having guys who're itching to get off the benc hand show they can help the team, are the type of guys you need on your team. It is actually One of the reasons I like Beverly so much.

Tyrus McGee anyone? I'm pretty sure he was the 6th man who LOVED being the 6th man. When we really needed a run and the starters were a little bogged down...bring him in off the bench. Hit a couple big shots and boom...a rally is born.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Tyrus McGee anyone? I'm pretty sure he was the 6th man who LOVED being the 6th man. When we really needed a run and the starters were a little bogged down...bring him in off the bench. Hit a couple big shots and boom...a rally is born.

My memory is a little foggy but I'm pretty sure it was McGee that I remember all the conversations/interviews around him working his way into a starter roll but he actually loved coming in as the spark off the bench. I could be wrong tho...
Tyrus is my prototypical 6 man. I will always associate that role with Tyrus McGee. At any level.

And I think you are correct, that he played his way into a starting role, but was kept at the 6-man spot because he was the spark we needed/he liked being off the bench.

Reactions: kurimski

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Any reported sightings?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Tyrus is my prototypical 6 man. I will always associate that role with Tyrus McGee. At any level.

And I think you are correct, that he played his way into a starting role, but was kept at the 6-man spot because he was the spark we needed/he liked being off the bench.

I loved when Tyrus would hunt a shot. You just knew one was going up

Reactions: kurimski