Beverly: I will commit to ISU

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
It seems all people look at is offensive skill set when deciding if these tweener guys can play on the wing or the post, thats useless, I haven't seen enough of Beverly to know but for those who have, can he guard the 3 position? That's all that is relevant. The other team has to worry about his offense, it has zero bearing on what position he plays.

I agree. Right now I fell ISU is set at PG/SG with (Lindell, Donovan, Daraious, Jakolby, and Nick) and at PF/C with (Cameron, Ray, Salamon). Currently the minutes available at the 3 that can be can be filled by Babb/Lewis). If Beverly could show enough quickness to defend even 10 minutes at the 3 in addition to his best position at the 4 it would make the pick up better. The other option is recruit another grad transfer guard and play a 3 guard lineup. BTW right now I see Babb/Lewis getting most the 3.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Has he committed yet?

Yes; just waiting on a formal offer. :D

cart-before-the-horse.jpg

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The only problem I have is people trying to say this guy will play the 3 and that guy will play the 5. Like it's 1990. Nobody has real positions in this offense other than the guards. Sometimes we won't even have a real point guard. Just someone who brings it up and get's us into our offense. Ala Royce White and Georges. So there really should be no argument about who can play the 3 and who can play the 5 and that type of thing.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
The only problem I have is people trying to say this guy will play the 3 and that guy will play the 5. Like it's 1990. Nobody has real positions in this offense other than the guards. Sometimes we won't even have a real point guard. Just someone who brings it up and get's us into our offense. Ala Royce White and Georges. So there really should be no argument about who can play the 3 and who can play the 5 and that type of thing.

I can safely say that Kasongo, Lard, and Young will not play the 1 or 2

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I hope Ray doesn't read CF. Not sure any other sit out guy comes close to how negatively discussed he has been before eligible.

Fans who view him negatively must be assuming he's expected to carry the scoring duties in the frontcourt. If that was the true expectation, scrutiny might be warranted. But RK is a "niche-rim-guy" on both ends. That's who he is. And he's the only player on ISU's roster who fits that precise role.

Exhibit A (it may be the only exhibit necessary).

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I can safely say that Kasongo, Lard, and Young will not play the 1 or 2

You are absolutely correct; and no one will be asking DJ or Wigginton to post up. But not that long ago we had Royce White bringing the ball up the court and Deandre Kane occasionally posting up. Cyclone basketball: embrace ingenuity, baby! :cool:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Well, it matters when you aren't going to be a very high level offensive player. Georges could play the "3" because whoever was going to guard him at that spot was doomed but if he was a 10 and 6 kind of guy, that doesn't work because he's getting torched. This guy isn't going to give you that offensive production so he has to be able to guard a position and that isn't likely the "5." It depends on matchups, of course, but the athletes that play the "3" in this league would be a nightmare for Beverly IMO. Just like it would have been for Bowie.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
It seems all people look at is offensive skill set when deciding if these tweener guys can play on the wing or the post, thats useless, I haven't seen enough of Beverly to know but for those who have, can he guard the 3 position? That's all that is relevant. The other team has to worry about his offense, it has zero bearing on what position he plays.

He is definitely a much more comfortable post defender than on the perimeter against a competent ball handler. Lateral quickness seems lacking. As for the Burton comparison, Beverly is a better post defender, but not as good on-ball defender. I actually think for an ISU comparison, Niang is close. I believe Beverly won't be as versatile of defender as Nader or Burton.

p.s. Beverly reminds me of Kris Jenkins- similar defender, better rebounder, but not as willing and proficient of a 3 shooter.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Fans who view him negatively must be assuming he's expected to carry the scoring duties in the frontcourt. If that was the true expectation, scrutiny might be warranted. But RK is a "niche-rim-guy" on both ends. That's who he is. And he's the only player on ISU's roster who fits that precise role.

Exhibit A (it may be the only exhibit necessary).

Agree, which brings me to my biggest concern for next year...who IS expected to carry the scoring duties in the front-court? Or more importantly, just "paint scoring" in general?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Agree, which brings me to my biggest concern for next year...who IS expected to carry the scoring duties in the front-court? Or more importantly, just "paint scoring" in general?

Nobody knows. It is going to be a season that requires a really good team and not so much great individual play.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
For paint scoring I think Wigginton and Jackson with a healthy dose of the bigs finishing at the rim after the guards penetrate and break down the defense.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I agree. Right now I fell ISU is set at PG/SG with (Lindell, Donovan, Daraious, Jakolby, and Nick) and at PF/C with (Cameron, Ray, Salamon). Currently the minutes available at the 3 that can be can be filled by Babb/Lewis). If Beverly could show enough quickness to defend even 10 minutes at the 3 in addition to his best position at the 4 it would make the pick up better. The other option is recruit another grad transfer guard and play a 3 guard lineup. BTW right now I see Babb/Lewis getting most the 3.

Daraious...Salamon...cmon man :)

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You are absolutely correct; and no one will be asking DJ or Wigginton to post up. But not that long ago we had Royce White bringing the ball up the court and Deandre Kane occasionally posting up. Cyclone basketball: embrace ingenuity, baby! :cool:

Slow down, Wiggy gonna get Wiggy in the paint.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I agree. Amazing how many posters already know Kasongo will be no good without ever having seen him play under Prohm. There have been rumors about his attitude but I don't recall anyone who has seen him play in practice post. (Can't recall if he played in last year's summer league.) If anyone has seen him practice, I'd love to hear their impressions of him.

Based just on the few videos of him, he looks to be our most athletic big, with a body at least equal to Young's. If Prohm can harness that natural talent, there's no telling how good he and the team can be. The fact that he's still on the team indicates to me that at a minimum, he's seen as someone who can help the team, at a minimum as a practice player. He must have been recruited by Arizona, UCLA, and Oregon out of high school for a reason, at a minimum his ceiling.

I saw Ray in a couple of early season practices and was really impressed with how he moved for his size. He struck me as a guy that could guard multiple positions and would be a long and athletic rebounder/defender. I had forgotten that we had him at that point and thought (until I looked up that he was a sit-out) that he could have potentially helped us this past season.

Full disclosure: I also had Holden penciled in as a lock to start after the first practice. In fairness though, they didn't call any fouls in that practice :)

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
Daraious...Salamon...cmon man :)

Sometimes I feel like I'm missing some running joke on people having really good grammar and spelling, but then just getting our player's and recruit's names wrong. It's more than one person, too.

Kasango. Beverley. Nadar.