Baylor or UNI? Which team is less important to ISU?

Which school is more irrelevant to ISU?

• Baylor

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Northern Iowa

Votes: 90 68.2%

• Total voters

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Why exactly?

If we're limiting this to football - I can kinda see it. Although it seems to me that we play UNI more often than we play Baylor, or maybe it just seems like it. Furthermore, IMO if we lose to UNI the season is OVER for all intesive purposes. Fan support is tanked, it's almost unrecoverable from a post season standpoint (again - this is FB).

We play them as often as Baylor in BBall, and probably more often in things like volleyball and wrestling and a number of other sports.

True - UNI has zero effect on conference issues. But they have every bit the impact, maybe more, than Baylor on post season for most sports. But who are we kidding right now in terms of conference finishes - if we can't get by UNI, we aren't making much of a splash in conference anyway.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Losing to UNI is worse than losing to Baylor.

Beating Baylor is more important than beating UNI.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding....

....we have a winner.

But, we shouldn't be in a situation where we should have to worry about losing to UNI, so I would still say Baylor.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Why exactly?

If we're limiting this to football - I can kinda see it. Although it seems to me that we play UNI more often than we play Baylor, or maybe it just seems like it. Furthermore, IMO if we lose to UNI the season is OVER for all intesive purposes. Fan support is tanked, it's almost unrecoverable from a post season standpoint (again - this is FB).

We play them as often as Baylor in BBall, and probably more often in things like volleyball and wrestling and a number of other sports.

True - UNI has zero effect on conference issues. But they have every bit the impact, maybe more, than Baylor on post season for most sports. But who are we kidding right now in terms of conference finishes - if we can't get by UNI, we aren't making much of a splash in conference anyway.

Our fan support was just fine when we got killed by them a few years ago on the football field. Of course we followed that up with the Iowa win and IMO that has a much larger fan support factor than the UNI game.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
you mean FBS? UNI is a D1 school as well.

They are D1-AA which is a different subdivision. He asked which division I was referring to and I specified D1 as opposed to B12. I wasn't saying they weren't a D1 school.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Dumb question. Baylor is a conference game.

I figured that mostly everyone thought that, but there are surprisingly more UNI people on here who think differently. For instance, Creighton should be a more important game in bball to them than Iowa State, and that doesnt bother me one bit.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
In light of a few posters from UNI and Baylor making outlandish statements about their superior athletic departments at their respective schools, I beg to ask the question which of these schools is less important than the other. To be honest I could usually care less about either school except for the one time a year we play them but they seem to think they are the most important thing we talk about. Which school is more irrelevant to Iowa State? UNI? or Baylor?

well, lets see. Baylor may be a sorry *** school but at least for now they are BigXII. UNI is not only not in our conference they aren't even D1, which makes them irrelevant except when we play them. Add to that the fact that most of them are hawkeye fans and I have to say UNI without a doubt.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Our fan support was just fine when we got killed by them a few years ago on the football field. Of course we followed that up with the Iowa win and IMO that has a much larger fan support factor than the UNI game.

Ok - I'll try again (Jeremy, there's problems. I've had lots of DB errors popping up and my reply just vanished, weird font in typing it as well).

The last UNI loss was during Chiz's first season and the fans were optimistic as much as anything. They got a bye with that. If that were year 4 it would've been a meltdown of epic proportions.

I misinterpreted the question. I was looking at from who do I care more about, and not which team is more important to the athletic programs. It doesn't change my perspective much. I'm all for conference titles being a priority. But in the end - if Baylor is the roadblock to true conference success ..... :no:

In the end, it's pretty close to a wash IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron