Baylor or UNI? Which team is less important to ISU?

Which school is more irrelevant to ISU?

• Baylor

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Northern Iowa

Votes: 90 68.2%

• Total voters

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I think this discussion is kind of funny and ironic, because a lot of these arguments are the same ones Iowa fans use when playing us. "It's much more important for us to beat School X from the Big 11 than it is to beat ISU".

Now, obviously UNI is FCS in football, so my point has a hole in it, but it still has merit.

Give me the option of winning the B12 North, while suffering a loss to Iowa or UNI, compared to struggling through conference season, yet getting wins against Iowa & UNI and I'll take the division championship any day. However, despite UNI having a powerhouse of a program at the FCS level, it's still an embarrassing loss if we lose to them. That being said, I think conference games do hold more weight, but losing to in-state rivals is never an easy thing to deal with.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
From a football standpoint (or really any sport for that matter) I would say Baylor is more important. From a general college standpoint I would say UNI.
For me, probably because of my lifelong hatred of the Hawkeyes, I have always been more neutral towards UNI and have found myself rooting for them when they are progressing their way through the FCS championships.

The original post didn't necessarily say which would be a more important football game, but as listed in the "General Discussion" forum. I would much rather hear about news coming out of CF than Waco anyday from any aspect because an invested interest in local news.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
To buy into that D-1AA went away means you buy into the FCS vs. FBS ********. I for one still use the D1 and D1-AA monikers because I don't want to be know as the "bowl system".

More on point, Baylor is in the conference. Baylor > UNI

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
i hope coach paul rhoads smacks the hell out of baylor and puts them and robert griffin in their place-bottom of the big 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
But who are we kidding right now in terms of conference finishes - if we can't get by UNI, we aren't making much of a splash in conference anyway.
Exactly- the reason why a loss to UNI means anything is because it suggests ISU will do poorly in the Big 12. Hence, the priority on the Big 12.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I don't know which is more embarassing: the fact that this is a poll question on CF or the fact that 27 doorknobs think UNI is a relevant opponent for ISU. UNI is not in our league, literally and figuratively. End of discussion.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I don't know which is more embarassing: the fact that this is a poll question on CF or the fact that 27 doorknobs think UNI is a relevant opponent for ISU. UNI is not in our league, literally and figuratively. End of discussion.
Monty, I am going to contest this poll's result. One misread term/word would change a poster's response.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Wow - alot of arrogance on the side of the Baylor voters/posters.

"Embarrassing", "Doorknobs", "Dumb"

Of course, looking at the names dropping those quotes......

Last edited:

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
UNI means absolutely nothing to ISU. Winning the game only actually counts every 4 years even if we do win.

How you can say that UNI is more important than Baylor I have NO idea. I'd gladly lose to UNI and beat Baylor every single year and wouldn't even think twice about it if you gave me a choice.

I don't even care that they are an in-state "rival". So is Drake.

Isn't this the same thing Iowa says about ISU? :eek:

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Monty, I am going to contest this poll's result. One misread term/word would change a poster's response.

Exactly... the assumption by most people is that this is football related when it is merely in GENERAL DISCUSSION

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I can understand not liking the delivery, but how do you contest the message?

I'm not sure I said I did.

Simple fact is, the adament posturing that one of the two is somehow more critical to ISU comes off as very "hawk-fan" of some people. Judging from the last time we played both schools (since this is obviously football centric) - I'm not sure we should be dismissing either - or anyone for that matter.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I'm not sure I said I did.

Simple fact is, the adament posturing that one of the two is somehow more critical to ISU comes off as very "hawk-fan" of some people. Judging from the last time we played both schools (since this is obviously football centric) - I'm not sure we should be dismissing either - or anyone for that matter.
Well, I guess we will agree to disagree, as I think it is sound logic to place more relevance on certain opponents than others.

"I'm not sure we should be dismissing either - or anyone for that matter."
Are you talking about on the field? Obviously "you play to win he game", and you do what you have to, but that does not mean one game is not more relevant to a fan base than another game. In basketball, is Houston UC-Davis as relevant as UNI? ...We struggled with both.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa

Come on, I understand the premise of not liking it when people get that passionate or defensive about a position. But the mere nature of labeling it as "hawk-fan" is itself that very type of reply.

Every fan base has them...it's just life.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Come on, I understand the premise of not liking it when people get that passionate or defensive about a position. But the mere nature of labeling it as "hawk-fan" is itself that very type of reply.

Every fan base has them...it's just life.

What I'm saying, is that I think many people are wanting to dismiss UNI simply because they aren't BCS (or whatever) in football. Should we lose to them again this year, I fully expect to see a few remarks along the "it was their superbowl". And there is a quite obvious "little brother" mentality to them as well. That I'm afraid, is plain as day.

And that feeling towards them (the BCS thing), some how and for some reason, carries over to the other sports that we play them in - perhaps play them more often in - where they are D1.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
What I'm saying, is that I think many people are wanting to dismiss UNI simply because they aren't BCS (or whatever) in football. Should we lose to them again this year, I fully expect to see a few remarks along the "it was their superbowl".

And that feeling towards them (the BCS thing), some how and for some reason, carries over to the other sports that we play them in - perhaps play them more often in - where they are D1.

Yeah, I know what you are saying...you're not using it in a derogatory type of association, but I am just saying when you in turn label it like that it kind of looks pot and kettle-ish and can be taken that way. I would just challenge the premise and skip the association to avoid someone trying to discredit you on that front.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
What I'm saying, is that I think many people are wanting to dismiss UNI simply because they aren't BCS (or whatever) in football. Should we lose to them again this year, I fully expect to see a few remarks along the "it was their superbowl". And there is a quite obvious "little brother" mentality to them as well. That I'm afraid, is plain as day.

I think it is fair to discredit UNI's relevance to ISU "simply" because they are not even in the same division, let alone conference. Take out the names and generalize the situation. Which of team Y, Z, and n is more relevant to Team X?

Team X: plays DI, in BCS conference A, has a history of poor seasons, and splits games with Y, and Z. Once every decade they may lose to Team n. Competes for recruits with Team Y and Z.

Team Y: plays DI, in BCS conference A, has a history of poor seasons, and splits games with Team X. Competes for recruits with Team X, maybe Team Z once and a while.

Team Z: plays DI, in BCS conference B, has a recent history of average to good seasons, and splits games with Team X, never loses to team n. Competes for recruits with Team X, maybe Team Y once and a while.

Team n: plays DI-AA, has a horrible record against Team X and Y. Does not compete for recruits with Team X, Y, Z.