Baylor or UNI? Which team is less important to ISU?

Which school is more irrelevant to ISU?

• Baylor

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Northern Iowa

Votes: 90 68.2%

• Total voters

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Northern Iowa is obviously less important to ISU. At least Baylor is in-conference. While state rivalries are fun, in football they're not even in the same division (making the game completely irrelevant unless we lose), and in basketball the game has virtually zero impact on whether we would make the NCAA Tournament or not.

Baylor, on the other hand, is a conference foe that we play every year at least once in basketball (depending on how conference tourneys shake out) and twice every four years in football. Ws and Ls mean much more towards conference championships in all sports playing Baylor.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
What I'm saying, is that I think many people are wanting to dismiss UNI simply because they aren't BCS (or whatever) in football. Should we lose to them again this year, I fully expect to see a few remarks along the "it was their superbowl". And there is a quite obvious "little brother" mentality to them as well. That I'm afraid, is plain as day.

And that feeling towards them (the BCS thing), some how and for some reason, carries over to the other sports that we play them in - perhaps play them more often in - where they are D1.

I am dismissing UNI because they simply do not matter at all to our success in the Big XII Conference, which should be our priority.

Take the 2005 football team for example. I know we did not play UNI, but we did play Illinois State, who is also in the Gateway Conference. That year, we beat Illinois State but lost to Baylor. We finished 7-4 (4-4 in the Big XII) and lost out on a chance to play in the Big XII championship. If you swap those results--let's say we lose to Illinois State but beat Baylor--then we are still 7-4, but 5-3 in the Big XII and we win the North.

As long as Baylor is in our conference, beating them will always be more important.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
I think it is fair to discredit UNI's relevance to ISU "simply" because they are not even in the same division, let alone conference. Take out the names and generalize the situation. Which of team Y, Z, and n is more relevant to Team X?

Team X: plays DI, in BCS conference A, has a history of poor seasons, and splits games with Y, and Z. Once every decade they may lose to Team n. Competes for recruits with Team Y and Z.

Team Y: plays DI, in BCS conference A, has a history of poor seasons, and splits games with Team X. Competes for recruits with Team X, maybe Team Z once and a while.

Team Z: plays DI, in BCS conference B, has a recent history of average to good seasons, and splits games with Team X, never loses to team n. Competes for recruits with Team X, maybe Team Y once and a while.

Team n: plays DI-AA, has a horrible record against Team X and Y. Does not compete for recruits with Team X, Y, Z.

Thanks for the math problem, swarthmore. I came up with 54. Is that correct?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I could really care less about Baylor. I think its funny that Cyclone fans act like they don't care about UNI. You are just feeding in to the same theory Hawkeye fans use to downplay our rivalry with them.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I could really care less about Baylor. I think its funny that Cyclone fans act like they don't care about UNI. You are just feeding in to the same theory Hawkeye fans use to downplay our rivalry with them.
So how Iowa fans think about you dictates how you perceive things? Who cares how Iowa views the rivalry, we are both in BCS conferences, recruit the same players, etc, same as with Baylor. Not the case with UNI.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I could care less about each. But, since we play Baylor more often then UNI, I would have to say UNI is less important.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
So how Iowa fans think about you dictates how you perceive things? Who cares how Iowa views the rivalry, we are both in BCS conferences, recruit the same players, etc, same as with Baylor. Not the case with UNI.

Thats not exactly what I said. I meant thats how the Iowa fans justify losing to us they have a "we only care about big 10 games", I think its a cop out, and hate to see Cyclone fans display the arrogance of Hawkeye fans. In fact this whole thread reaks of that.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Thats not exactly what I said. I meant thats how the Iowa fans justify losing to us they have a "we only care about big 10 games", I think its a cop out, and hate to see Cyclone fans display the arrogance of Hawkeye fans. In fact this whole thread reaks of that.

Yup. When UNI wins those games, we get ticked off, and show that exact arrogance you're talking about.

And then, for some reason, Panther fans like to poke at us, almost like we've been arrogant and condescending towards them for a pretty long while. Wonder why that happens?

They both matter. UNI fans are people you have to deal with, the Baylor game is important in conference. I think they're both important, and we need every win we can get.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I could care less about each. But, since we play Baylor more often then UNI, I would have to say UNI is less important.

I'd say we play them both nearly an equal amount of times, we play both 1 time each year in Bball and we only play Baylor 2 out of 4 years in football which isnt too much more often than we play UNI. I looked it up and since Big 12 play started we've played Baylor 7 times and UNI 6. So its basically even.

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
It is not about ISU, Iowa, or UNI, but logic. Ask any fan base which opponent is more irrelevant: the non-conference DI-AA team or a conference opponent in fertile recruiting grounds, and they will tell you former. It shows how big of job JP has before him if part of the fan base has such an emotional attachment to the beating UNI.

06Panther

Sep 1, 2008
It is not about ISU, Iowa, or UNI, but logic. Ask any fan base which opponent is more irrelevant: the non-conference DI-AA team or a conference opponent in fertile recruiting grounds, and they will tell you former. It shows how big of job JP has before him if part of the fan base has such an emotional attachment to the beating UNI.

But its not just a "DI-AA team". Its an in state school that competes with ISU in almost every sport. Technically beating Baylor is more important to ISU, but its not abnormal for fans to value wins over UNI more than wins over baylor. If its ISU vs the Citadel, sure nobody would give a crap, but with UNI you get the whole in-state rivalry thing going with the fans and players.

Also, do you really think ISU has more of a recruiting battle with Baylor than UNI? I don't think so.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
ugggh. which outlandishly relevant junior high did you beg to graduate from?

In light of a few posters from UNI and Baylor making outlandish statements about their superior athletic departments at their respective schools, I beg to ask the question which of these schools is less important than the other. To be honest I could usually care less about either school except for the one time a year we play them but they seem to think they are the most important thing we talk about. Which school is more irrelevant to Iowa State? UNI? or Baylor?

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
The only reason I can think of to vote for UNI being important to the ISU AD is they do buy a large amount of tickets to the football game and we do need the 50,000+ crowds if we ever want to bowl in the South zone. Thank you UNI fans for buying our tickets and helping toward our dream. I did however vote for Baylor for many of the reasons already stated.