Banks,Laing, Hamlin (REAL Thread)

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Sorry but this thread will turn into the last one because we still have people on here who think we should boot these guys for a minor first time offense. Until these people learn we all need to live in the real world and not some tough guy internet world matters like these will turn into fiasco's.

Minor first time offense+drug task force=koolaid talk

Spam

May 21, 2008
Laing may face immigration trouble. Drug crimes are taken seriously by Canadian and US authorities when it comes to allowing the other country's citizens in.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I don't remember calling it breaking news and what's wrong with posting links to news on other sites?

That NEVER happens here, that's what is wrong with it! The way to spread breaking news to other boards is by making it up on your own!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The real question is why was there a warrant in the first place?

Straight from the updated DMR story:

"Central Iowa Drug Task Force officials said they received information Sept. 9 about possible drug activity around Building 41 at Frederickson Court in Ames.

On Sept. 11, a search warrant was executed and a small amount of marijuana was found in an apartment, according to the task force. The specific apartment was not listed and it was not immediately clear if the Iowa State players lived together."

Spam

May 21, 2008
It could just be one guy, and the others get screwed because of him.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Rhoads needs to send a strong message. I do not want out program to start looking like the circus in Iowa City. Wins do not excuse bad behavior.

Maybe not for you. For me, they DO excuse bad behavior. I'm tired of losing and clinging to moral high ground. I mean, we all looked the other way when Kenny Pratt was thugging it up. But now that FB and MBB have been losing a lot in these past few years, all Clone fans can say is "Well, at least we don't have a bunch of thugs on our teams". Screw that, bring on the thugs.

Misdemeanor + first offense = 1 game suspension. Good enough.

Reactions: CloneIce

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
And from the Ames Tribune:

"Investigators from the task force were called in to investigate. According to officials, the witness told investigators they thought they recognized one of the two men and that he was an ISU football player.

Acting on information received in the initial investigation, task force members served a search warrant on an apartment at 4115 Frederickson Court and recovered residual amounts of marijuana.

When investigators searched the residence, they found a small glass jar containing marijuana residue in Banks’ bedroom. Banks admitted to owning the jar. Marijuana residue was also found in Laing’s bedroom and task force officers found several marijuana seeds in Hamlin’s bedroom. Hamlin reportedly admitted responsibility for the seeds, according to court documents."

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Why wasn't it clear to Randy Peterson if these guys all live together? It takes 20 seconds to search all three on the ISU directory.

Yes, they all live together.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Straight from the updated DMR story:

"Central Iowa Drug Task Force officials said they received information Sept. 9 about possible drug activity around Building 41 at Frederickson Court in Ames.

On Sept. 11, a search warrant was executed and a small amount of marijuana was found in an apartment, according to the task force. The specific apartment was not listed and it was not immediately clear if the Iowa State players lived together."

This confuses me. It seems as though they were taken into custody then, rather than turning themselves in...

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Why wasn't it clear to Randy Peterson if these guys all live together? It takes 20 seconds to search all three on the ISU directory.

Yes, they all live together.

Because at the school to our east in a certain rape incident, players weren't living in the apartments/dorms they were assigned to. ISU directory may or may not be 100% accurate.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Maybe not for you. For me, they DO excuse bad behavior. I'm tired of losing and clinging to moral high ground. I mean, we all looked the other way when Kenny Pratt was thugging it up.

Yes, but maybe that was not a good thing for MBB...

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Because at the school to our east in a certain rape incident, players weren't living in the apartments/dorms they were assigned to. ISU directory may or may not be 100% accurate.

Then you can say, "According to the Iowa State directory..." That's no excuse.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

And that is exactly why you cite the ISU Directory if you mention they live together.

Fact is Petersen and Logue are just bad beat reporters.

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
When considering punishment for possession of a small amount of dope in their apartment, you need to keep it in perspective with what our friends from Lincoln recently experienced. Everyone was quick to praise Pellini for kicking a player off the team only to later find out he had failed 5 drug tests. So by my simple math the player failed 4 test without any public punishment - ie missed game time.

As far as we know this is a first incident. I am not advocating letting it slide like other programs and some form of punishment needs to occur. But kicking them off the team is a bit extreme.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron