Bad officiating calls against ISU

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
There have been plenty of bad/weird calls against ISU over the years (namely Seneca's TD against FSU and the "missed" FG against Alabama), but I'm trying to remember one in particular. Didn't ISU's defense get called for trying to confuse or deceive an offense in a game about 5ish years ago? Was it because people were subbing in and out, or what was the situation?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I really only care about bad officiating when it comes down to the wire neck and neck. When they are added to a bad day of play anyway, it doesnt seem to matter as much. Just icing.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
When you have a team that turns the ball over like we do (and can't cash in on the turnovers we get), pointing fingers elsewhere seems kinda lame.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Oh boy, here we go....

I remember a couple years ago when we had a fumble return negated by an "inadvertant whistle." I have watched football all weekend all fall for years and years and never seen that happen. And honestly, I don't think I will ever see it again.

How about the onside kick against aTm last year. It didn't make the 10 yards but it clearly hit an aTm player, I could see it from the upper deck. They gave it like 2 replay reviews and still screwed it up. The crowd proceded to boo for the entire 4th quarter, the best booing I have heard in my life. I watched that again on DVR and I have no idea how they screwed up the call. Even the TV announcers agreed.

And I'd also have to look back at the KU game to win the North a few years back when we had a Blythe TD catch ruled a score on the field and overturned by replay. Then they also had a KU TD on a QB sneak that was ruled down on the field but a TD by replay. Watching the game on TV, there wasn't anything close to indisputable evidence on either one of those plays, let alone both.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The worst call against ISU I've ever seen was in the '05 Missouri game. Up 7, w/one minute left, Steve Paris gets a pick 6 on Chase Daniels. Refs rule it "down by contact" when the Mizzou player never had possession of the ball. Most bizzare, and ultimately crucial call I've seen, as they went on to tie the game and win in OT.

Flynn's clear TD against NU in 2006 was brutal.

Blythe's TD against KU.

Big 12 apologizing to Gary Pinkel for the hold in 2006, when there was clear photographic evidence that Tyrone McKenzie was being held.

Last edited:

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Oh boy, here we go....

I remember a couple years ago when we had a fumble return negated by an "inadvertant whistle." I have watched football all weekend all fall for years and years and never seen that happen. And honestly, I don't think I will ever see it again.

How about the onside kick against aTm last year. It didn't make the 10 yards but it clearly hit an aTm player, I could see it from the upper deck. They gave it like 2 replay reviews and still screwed it up. The crowd proceded to boo for the entire 4th quarter, the best booing I have heard in my life. I watched that again on DVR and I have no idea how they screwed up the call. Even the TV announcers agreed.

And I'd also have to look back at the KU game to win the North a few years back when we had a Blythe TD catch ruled a score on the field and overturned by replay. Then they also had a KU TD on a QB sneak that was ruled down on the field but a TD by replay. Watching the game on TV, there wasn't anything close to indisputable evidence on either one of those plays, let alone both.
This doesn't relate to football, but... The best booing by our fans I have heard was when Iowa and Adam Huluska came to Hilton a few years ago and we booed him everytime he touched the ball. :biglaugh:

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
When you have a team that turns the ball over like we do (and can't cash in on the turnovers we get), pointing fingers elsewhere seems kinda lame.
I'm not trying to start an "Officials Suck" thread. I'm just trying to remember that one call and the situation.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
That's an easy one - no contest. The worst call EVER against an ISU team occurred several years ago in Lawrence KS when we lost an overtime basketball game against KU.

Homan is at the line for a two-shot foul. He misses the first free throw and KU grabs the rebound (while our guys are wondering WTF), races down court, and hits a 3-pointer before the refs remember it was a deadball situation because it was a two-shot foul. The refs decide they cannot take the points off the board, even though KU scored during dead ball situation when they should not have even been allowed possession of the ball.

Something like that can only happen to the Cyclones.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Well this thread got derailed in a hurry.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It is a fast game and a big field, so I can see were a ref can sometimes miss a call. The ones that really bother me are the ones were you can see the ref watching the play and he still just lets it go. IE; Iowa WR pushes off with both hands on the facemask and the ref just lets it go.

BTW; I thought the KSU game was called very fairly. I know the interference call was a little weak, but the ISU LBer really shoved the receiver pretty hard in the back, and that never looks good.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006

Seems like the OP pretty clearly didn't point fingers. Just asking if people remember bad calls. Seems lame to not read a post and then jump in assuming every ref thread is about looking for an excuse.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Well this thread got derailed in a hurry.

Some people have some serious reading comprehension issues, and just feel like they need to get their 2 cents in, even when it doesn't apply in this thread...

1. When trying to recall a random, minor call like the one noted, good luck finding someone that can.
2. When mentioning "have been plenty of bad/weird calls against ISU over the years" and then giving a specific example, expect to jar some memories over other memorable calls.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Seems like the OP pretty clearly didn't point fingers. Just asking if people remember bad calls. Seems lame to not read a post and then jump in assuming every ref thread is about looking for an excuse.
Jumped the gun on that, I'll give ya that.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'd have to throw out another one, the helmet to helmet hit on Moeaki at Iowa last season. That was a pretty bogus call. Moeaki lowered his head before contact, and on replay it looks like even then the contact was helmet to shoulder pad. That kept the drive alive for an Iowa score in a game that was pretty close. And I really felt like ISU had some momentum at that point.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
The Blarge.

Ding. Ding.

Cost us a trip to the Final Four. They don't come much worse than that travesty.

Sam Hill called for traveling by one ref in Big 8 championship game was probably the maddest I have ever been (in person).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron