Bad officiating calls against ISU

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
1. When trying to recall a random, minor call like the one noted, good luck finding someone that can.
2. When mentioning "have been plenty of bad/weird calls against ISU over the years" and then giving a specific example, expect to jar some memories over other memorable calls.

And your post implied that the OP was saying their were bad calls on Saturday. And clearly that was not the point. Furthermore, if you don't remember said memorable calls, why even pipe in at all?

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
That's an easy one - no contest. The worst call EVER against an ISU team occurred several years ago in Lawrence KS when we lost an overtime basketball game against KU.

Homan is at the line for a two-shot foul. He misses the first free throw and KU grabs the rebound (while our guys are wondering WTF), races down court, and hits a 3-pointer before the refs remember it was a deadball situation because it was a two-shot foul. The refs decide they cannot take the points off the board, even though KU scored during dead ball situation when they should not have even been allowed possession of the ball.

Something like that can only happen to the Cyclones.

Believe it or not, the officials are correct in that they can't take points off the board in that situation. This call seems to be brought up all the time, and that part is rarely pointed out.

That said, they did err in not stopping play in-between free throws. Because of this mistake and others like it, the outside official is now instructed to stand at half-court in the middle of the floor between two-shot fouls to prevent such occurrences from happening again.

But, it's not as if Iowa State is the only team this has happened to. Same goes for the block/charge in the Mich. St. game. That wasn't an invented call just to hose Iowa State, it's happened before in other games, just not in a high-profile game like that one.

Same goes for inadvertent whistles, TD's at the pylon, fumbles/non-fumbles, etc.

Officials make mistakes just like the players do. You remember the calls that go against you a lot more than you do the calls in your favor.

I will now get off my high horse, but I think officials get a bad rap the majority of the time. :smile: End rant.

Reactions: Tornado man

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I just watched the relay of the KSU game the guy that blocked kick used his left hand to push off the sholder pad of one of the other players. The anouncers even made a comment about how it is illegal to use another player to elevate yourself.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Officials make mistakes just like the players do. You remember the calls that go against you a lot more than you do the calls in your favor.

I will now get off my high horse, but I think officials get a bad rap the majority of the time. :smile: End rant.

This. And...the camera angles in today's world are far better than they were even just 5 years ago. So every call gets scrutinized because we can see it from at minimum 3 different angles (if not more) most of the time.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
Who was that guy who about 5 years ago was running with the football, and they whistled his elbow touched the ground. Then after further review they still said it did, and it wasn't even close (to touching the ground!) Against KSU I think, also got screwed on a few calls in that game.

But the worst, was the elight eight against Mich. St.
And to this day still ponder what the selection commitee was thinking when they placed the Spartans in their hometown bracket.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
The worst call against ISU I've ever seen was in the '05 Missouri game. Up 7, w/one minute left, Steve Paris gets a pick 6 on Chase Daniels. Refs rule it "down by contact" when the Mizzou player never had possession of the ball. Most bizzare, and ultimately crucial call I've seen, as they went on to tie the game and win in OT.

Flynn's clear TD against NU in 2006 was brutal.

Blythe's TD against KU.

Big 12 apologizing to Gary Pinkel for the hold in 2006, when there was clear photographic evidence that Tyrone McKenzie was being held.

The one where he caught the ball and took two long strides getting both feet solidly on the ground without juggling the ball at all... but was still incomplete?

My god that was a bad call- unbelievable

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Believe it or not, the officials are correct in that they can't take points off the board in that situation. This call seems to be brought up all the time, and that part is rarely pointed out.

That said, they did err in not stopping play in-between free throws. Because of this mistake and others like it, the outside official is now instructed to stand at half-court in the middle of the floor between two-shot fouls to prevent such occurrences from happening again.

But, it's not as if Iowa State is the only team this has happened to. Same goes for the block/charge in the Mich. St. game. That wasn't an invented call just to hose Iowa State, it's happened before in other games, just not in a high-profile game like that one.

Same goes for inadvertent whistles, TD's at the pylon, fumbles/non-fumbles, etc.

Yeah, but you're from a whole family of basketball officials, correct?

The other forgotten item from that KU basketball game is that Keith Langford made a 3 with time winding down to send it to overtime. Problem being his foot was clearly on the line and they never took a moment to check the monitor, which they could've done. That is one of my bigger pet peeves with officials...not that they make mistakes, but when they don't even bother to bring all the officials together to discuss and just let it go. Similar to the pass interference call from this past weekend, the referre could've at least brought up the fact with the linesman about it being catchable, but, they didn't.

clone51

Oct 4, 2009
Western Iowa
Yes, we have been brutally victimized time and again by very bad calls. Assuming, as I do, that these bad calls were not part of a deliberate conspiracy against us [ my gosh, they weren't, were they?], but were honest errors in judgment, given the law of averages, we are in for a very good streak of beneficial calls. Think of the possibilities!

Optimism is contagious. Pass it on!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The one where he caught the ball and took two long strides getting both feet solidly on the ground without juggling the ball at all... but was still incomplete?

My god that was a bad call- unbelievable

That's the one. And to make matters worse, the Big 12 stood by the call the next week. Then they apologized to cry baby Pinkel when there clearly was a hold. ****** me off.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
That's the one. And to make matters worse, the Big 12 stood by the call the next week. Then they apologized to cry baby Pinkel when there clearly was a hold. ****** me off.

That is also what chapped my *** the most about both situationis and how the Big 12 handled each of them differently.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That is also what chapped my *** the most about both situationis and how the Big 12 handled each of them differently.

My brother was laid up w/a blown knee during that 2006 NU game, and he said the ABC announcers were just besides themselves over how bad of a call it was and how clearly the replay indicated that it was a TD by NFL rules, let alone college.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
It is a fast game and a big field, so I can see were a ref can sometimes miss a call. The ones that really bother me are the ones were you can see the ref watching the play and he still just lets it go. IE; Iowa WR pushes off with both hands on the facemask and the ref just lets it go.

BTW; I thought the KSU game was called very fairly. I know the interference call was a little weak, but the ISU LBer really shoved the receiver pretty hard in the back, and that never looks good.

Except that didn't happen, and you left out 1/2 of what actually did happen. The Iowa WR was Clinton Solomon, and the game was the 2005 Outback against Florida. He was doing the exact same thing to the guy defending him as was being done to him. The defender had ahold of Clinton's facemask, and was pulling on it pretty hard. Clinton was flagged for a personal foul. Iowa was also penalized for something called "disconcerting signals" in that game, which is something I'd never heard of up to that point, and haven't heard of since.

clonecard

Oct 21, 2006
Bad calls

As the doormat of fb in b-8/b-12 for decades i have seen plenty of bad calls against us. i wonder if the same is true for other doormats such as duke, vandy, northwestern,etc. why is it i dont see the really awful calls against tx, oh st, ok, fla? Maybe i am paranoid but thats my take.
The pi call and the no call on the block are but 2 of many, many examples over the yrs. And please put a lid on 'they didnt affect the outcome' nonsense. If you have ever played, you know they negatively affect the momentum and and the mood of the players.

CJDelmonico

Aug 23, 2009
My brother was laid up w/a blown knee during that 2006 NU game, and he said the ABC announcers were just besides themselves over how bad of a call it was and how clearly the replay indicated that it was a TD by NFL rules, let alone college.

Iowa State was dominated in that game. I agree it was a bad call, but it would have made no difference whatsoever in the outcome.

Every team has had horrible calls or no calls go against them. Two that come to mind for me are Florida State's William Floyd clearly fumbling at the 1 yard line and being awarded a touchdown in the 1994 Orange Bowl that cost NU a national title, and Eric Crouch getting his head ripped off on 3rd and 10 on the final drive at midfield by Kansas State's Travis Ochs and no call baing made.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Iowa State was dominated in that game. I agree it was a bad call, but it would have made no difference whatsoever in the outcome.

Every team has had horrible calls or no calls go against them. Two that come to mind for me are Florida State's William Floyd clearly fumbling at the 1 yard line and being awarded a touchdown in the 1994 Orange Bowl that cost NU a national title, and Eric Crouch getting his head ripped off on 3rd and 10 on the final drive at midfield by Kansas State's Travis Ochs and no call baing made.

When you consider that Nebraska won that game 28-14, with ISU's second touchdown coming with just under a minute left, that adds up to the first logical thing you've posted on this site.

Well done.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

The final score was 28-14, and 7 points would not have made a difference? Flynn's non-TD TD would have made the score 21-14 in the third quarter. ISU had 18 first downs, Nebraska 17, and Nebraska only outgained the Cyclones 382-315.

But you're right. Iowa State was dominated.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Agreed. It was a very poor call but had no bearing on the result. Nebraska toyed with us that entire game, they never really gave us all they had and it was obvious. It was as if they were deliberately trying to not run up the score.

Help Support Us

Become a patron