Assuming for a minute that we beat NDSU.....

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I picked 7-3 since the defense is the strength of NDSU and would be their first game for sure. Giving up 48 points would basically mean that this team wouldn't be able to stop paper from coming at them. This offense wont be Baylor Bears good, so that would probably be a lot of games we would get outscored this year. Seems like 7-3 would be a better sign and it would only be the first game for this new offense.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We must show on both sides.

We can't win 6 or 7 games, if both sides of the ball don't play well. If we are below average on either side of the ball, we will be a 3-4 win team or worse.

IMO NDSU, KSU and Toledo are pretty much must win games. If I am looking at a score that will show me progress against NDSU, the offense will score more than 30 and the defense will give up less than 17.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Re: We must show on both sides.

We can't win 6 or 7 games, if both sides of the ball don't play well. If we are below average on either side of the ball, we will be a 3-4 win team or worse.

IMO NDSU, KSU and Toledo are pretty much must win games. If I am looking at a score that will show me progress against NDSU, the offense will score more than 30 and the defense will give up less than 17.

I think to have a successful year, NDSU, Toledo, and KU are MUST wins, and then we need to surprise another 2-3 teams on the schedule.... most likely coming from TCU, KSU, TT, WV, or Iowa.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
51-48. We're screwed if our offense isn't good

I agree. It needs to be a pin ball game. High risk, even if it means falling behind early, or coming up on the short end of the turnover battle. This will maximize the number of snaps, and more importantly, the maximum number of special teams plays. Make NDSU play some Big 12 football, make them reach into their bench, and lets see who has the will to win in the 4th quarter on a hot August night.

I say all this, having seen what they did at Bill Snyder stadium in the 4th quarter of last years opener. IMO, the Old Man made the mistake of trying to beat NDSU at their own game. Obviously, their game is very close to *his* own game. But what I am saying is, Bill assumed he could win the game, as they say, playing it "straight up".

The next mistake, regarding a "7 to 3" scenario, is to try to keep your vulnerable defense off the field. With the many playoff wins in recent years, a classic, ball control game plan only plays to the opponent's strength. These have been the NDSU "upset" formulas in these early season FBS games.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron