Are we recruiting a Juco Quarterback

Spence91

Dec 27, 2008
West Des Moines
It's not all on the receivers either there were numerous times that we had guys wide open and AA locks into one receiver as soon as he gets the ball at least he could look off the d-back and go back to the guy he wants to throw to? In the 2nd quarter we had a TE wide open (broken coverage) down the right hash mark and instead AA throws into double coverage on a short out route that he was lucky wasn't picked. We were lucky to even get the last touchdown by Williams which again was thrown into double coverage and should have been picked off while we had other receivers in man to man? Maybe the play calls for him to throw only to who he's throwing to but it doesn't make sense when we have 4 receivers on the field to have you mind made up who your throwing to before the balls even snapped? It just doesnt seem like we survey the field at all. Terrible throws on the out routes skipping them off the ground not even a 20 yard pass, AA had pretty good protection and doesn't get his feet set before throwing very often. Hopefully in some future games when were getting blown like at Kansas, Nebraska that Tiller will actually get a decent look at QB to see what he can actually do.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I see your signature is "Honor before Victory"...unfortunately, for many Cyclone fans that really means "Excuses before Victory".

That mantra has absolutely nothing to do with Iowa State fans. It is something that a former coach wanted to instill in his team. Respect your teammates, respect your opponents, and lay yourself on the line for 60 minutes every game. Leave everything on the field.

Trust me I know there are plenty of sunshine pumpers on this board, I'm amazed playing Devil's Advocate never gets old for you though

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I hate comments like this.

So he is the "chosen one" no matter what his performance is on the field?

So we are not going to attempt to recruit upgraded talent at the QB position?

So no one currently on the roster could improve and pass him by?

I certainly hope our coaches don't think like this. All of this "he is the team leader" talk is BS as well. If that was so damned important, why don't we let the players just vote amongst themselves for starting spots.

Agree here.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
BS.

Rice broke school records for points and touchdowns in a season both years he was at Rice.

All of this "it takes time" excuse talk really irritates me. It sure doesn't look like it "taking time" at Auburn for Malzahn...they have a totally new system and have already scored nearly as many points as they did all last year.

You're right Chase Clement only threw 16 interceptions in year 1 and 29 TDs - he also completed 59.1%. In year 2 he threw 7 interceptions and 44 TDs and completed 66.5% - he also ran for more yardage in year 2. Obviously Clement improved and there is no reason to believe AA won't.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think the opionions of this team on this board are quite comical. Last week we were thinking what bowl game are we going to and how Arnaud is really about to turn this ship around... now this week, after a one point loss to a team we new would be a close game anyhow, everyone says "we will be lucky to win another game- and arnaud stinks."

This same bs was said after the iowa game, and it will be said after next weeks loss at KU. But if we win the baylor game, arnaud will be the hero again... just wait

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I think the opionions of this team on this board are quite comical. Last week we were thinking what bowl game are we going to and how Arnaud is really about to turn this ship around... now this week, after a one point loss to a team we new would be a close game anyhow, everyone says "we will be lucky to win another game- and arnaud stinks."

This same bs was said after the iowa game, and it will be said after next weeks loss at KU. But if we win the baylor game, arnaud will be the hero again... just wait

I don't think anyone thinks we have a shot at KU so I don't see much complaining. Baylor is true - if we win - if not than everyone should just reference this thread.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I was not trying to Bag on Austin. It's not that he is not picking the offense up. It's that he is not throwing the ball with authority. He is also misisng wide open receivers. Hell the play he threw a long T.D. pass on to the wide open receiver in the 3rd quarter I beleive was the same play from 2 or 3 plays earlier and the receiver was wide open running down the middle of the field and he did not see him.
There is nothing wrong with getting a Juco QB that can come in and maybe win the job.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
You're right Chase Clement only threw 16 interceptions in year 1 and 29 TDs - he also completed 59.1%. In year 2 he threw 7 interceptions and 44 TDs and completed 66.5% - he also ran for more yardage in year 2. Obviously Clement improved and there is no reason to believe AA won't.

This is true but we can't hang our hats on it happening just because it did at Rice. We got into trouble thinking the same thing about Greg McDermott and his magical 3rd year

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

Who in their right mind thought Arnaud had turned the ship around? His passing was just as horrid in that Army game in the first half.

You are acting like we lost to Kansas or something. Kansas State will be the worst team we play the rest of the year and we lost. Now does that mean we won't win another game? No. But you can see how people might think that

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was not trying to Bag on Austin. It's not that he is not picking the offense up.
Of course he's not picking the offense up. It's the fourth game under a new OC. The third in his career. He's still thinking about things rather than doing. And on that last drive when he had to "do" rather than "think", you saw what happened. When he gets more familiar with the offense, he'll be the same old Austen of 440 yard games.

One last note--I can't believe that some people are ragging on him for that last touchdown pass. He made it, didn't he? And that kind of a drive in the last minute (after some people had already given up) doesn't leave a whole lot of options for being picky about who to throw to...

i have to say that I'm pretty sure that CPR's motto is "Hit the other team coming off the bus", not "Throw our quarterback under the bus..."

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
rice went 3-9 in 2007 then 10-3 in 2008... so uh yea.. 2010 is our year- right?

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Of course he's not picking the offense up. It's the fourth game under a new OC. The third in his career. He's still thinking about things rather than doing. And on that last drive when he had to "do" rather than "think", you saw what happened. When he gets more familiar with the offense, he'll be the same old Austen of 440 yard games.

One last note--I can't believe that some people are ragging on him for that last touchdown pass. He made it, didn't he? And that kind of a drive in the last minute (after some people had already given up) doesn't leave a whole lot of options for being picky about who to throw to...

i have to say that I'm pretty sure that CPR's motto is "Hit the other team coming off the bus", not "Throw our quarterback under the bus..."

You are simply out of your mind. I know you are the biggest kool-aid drinking fan on this board, but the offense has nothing to do with Arnaud throwing 2 yards behind a guy on a slant pass. It has nothing to do with him skipping the ball into the ground on a 5 yard out. Throwing picks against Iowa? Sure that may have to do with the offense but just poor, wobbly throws doesn't.

And it is hard to give Arnaud any credit on that last drive when both of his last 2 throws should have been easy picks. The first one went right through the guys hands and the second was tipped when the safety jumped to early

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
This is true but we can't hang our hats on it happening just because it did at Rice. We got into trouble thinking the same thing about Greg McDermott and his magical 3rd year

Sorry, I forgot, we are Iowa State and nothing positive can happen quickly at ISU. :jimlad:

Memo to all of you poo pooing this loss to K-State. K-State's program is in shambles right now...they are not a very good FB team.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Memo to all of you poo pooing this loss to K-State. K-State's program is in shambles right now...they are not a very good FB team.

1. We suck equally.

2. We should never lose to KSU, ever. Not even if they have the second coming of P.Manning and E.Smith on their team and we're fielding guys from Revenge of the Nerds.

I wish for God to swallow up that program and crap it out as a parasite.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I hate to say it but I agree with clones85 here. If it were just a timing problem I would blow it off as a system thing. But he's just not making routine throws. That concerns me a lot and I have no idea why it wouldn't concern somebody else too.

clone51

Oct 4, 2009
Western Iowa
rice went 3-9 in 2007 then 10-3 in 2008... so uh yea.. 2010 is our year- right?
No, this year, 2009 can be our year. For gosh sakes, there is a lot of football left to be played this year.

We are very close to turning the corner. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a major upset isn't in our immediate future. Please let it be the Huskers!

The Tigers might be tough, but the rest are winnable. Keep the faith!
8 and 4, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I hate to say it but I agree with clones85 here. If it were just a timing problem I would blow it off as a system thing. But he's just not making routine throws. That concerns me a lot and I have no idea why it wouldn't concern somebody else too.

Why do you hate to say it? Do you think that low of me?!?! :biggrin:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Sorry, I forgot, we are Iowa State and nothing positive can happen quickly at ISU. :jimlad:

I don't know how you could have gotten that out of what I typed. I just said that because it happened elsewhere doesn't mean it is going to happen here.