Are we recruiting a Juco Quarterback

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Look I like Arnaud but I am really starting to wonder if this offense doesn't suite his skills. On the ground and on the scramble he's pretty good and he's not scared to take a hit but in the pocket he's been a little inacurate. And for those wanting to see more of Tiller, I think he's pretty similar to Arnaud as well so I don't think he's the answer either. We need to recruit a freshman that can develop into a solid pocket passer, redshirt him next year to learn the offense and after Arnaud graduates after next season let him and Tiller go at it in camp and see who is the best man for the job.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Threads like this are completely idiotic. Aside from the Iowa game, Arnaud has played just fine as our starting QB and will continue to improve as the season goes on. Is he passing for 300 yards a game??? No, but our ground game is the best its been in over a decade and he has only been sacked twice in 5 games. I consider Arnaud's "struggles" this year to be something similar to a sophomore slump (I know he is a junior) because it is his second season starting. Similar to what Darks and SJ are going through.

Last edited:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Threads like this are completely idiotic. Aside from the Iowa game, Arnaud has played just fine as our starting QB and will continue to improve as the season goes on. Is he passing for 300 yards a game??? No, but our ground game is the best its been in over a decade and he has only been sacked twice in two games. I consider Arnaud's "struggles" this year to be something similar to a sophomore slump (I know he is a junior) because it is his second season starting. Similar to what Darks and SJ are going through.

What games have you been watching? Arnaud has not looked good throwing the ball once all year. He can run, but that's what RB's are for. QB's throw the ball and if they can run it is just an added dimension. As for our ground game being solid...yes it is, but what does that have to do with Arnaud?

Imagine how good it would be if we could pass? The holes for the RB would be huge.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Threads like this are completely idiotic. Aside from the Iowa game, Arnaud has played just fine as our starting QB and will continue to improve as the season goes on. Is he passing for 300 yards a game??? No, but our ground game is the best its been in over a decade and he has only been sacked twice in two games. I consider Arnaud's "struggles" this year to be something similar to a sophomore slump (I know he is a junior) because it is his second season starting. Similar to what Darks and SJ are going through.

I think the problem might be is he isn't even passing for 200 yards a game.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Remember that Rosenfels guy??? Had more interceptions than touchdowns in his career at ISU

Ohhh and that Wallace character that completed 55% of his passes as a senior and had 14 touchdowns to 18 INT's

Those guys both looked bad throwing the football at times but they did alright. I agree that Arnaud has looked bad throwing the football but he has made up for it with his feet (2 sacks, 65 yards/game rushing). I'm not worried about it at all

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Remember that Rosenfels guy??? Had more interceptions than touchdowns in his career at ISU

Ohhh and that Wallace character that completed 55% of his passes as a senior and had 14 touchdowns to 18 INT's

Those guys both looked bad throwing the football at times but they did alright. I agree that Arnaud has looked bad throwing the football but he has made up for it with his feet (2 sacks, 65 yards/game rushing). I'm not worried about it at all

You are really really reaching arganbright. Are you really comparing those two to Arnaud? Can't you see a difference in how those guys threw the ball to Arnaud?

Seneca Wallace was an extremely accurate QB who had a poor WR core. He made Jack Whitver look like a stud.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
It's not the interceptions. It's the not even close on most of his passes. That is the problem. He is bouncing the ball off the ground on 5 yard outs. None of his passes this year seem clean. They all seem like they are making the receivers make good catches to get them.
He has no faith in his ability to throw the ball.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
You are really really reaching arganbright. Are you really comparing those two to Arnaud? Can't you see a difference in how those guys threw the ball to Arnaud?

Seneca Wallace was an extremely accurate QB who had a poor WR core. He made Jack Whitver look like a stud.

Seneca had sure handed receivers. JW and Lane both had great hands and lane was fast

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Seneca had sure handed receivers. JW and Lane both had great hands and lane was fast

It's amazing how sure those hands where when the ball hit them between the #'s. Catch some balls like that and your confidence will be a lot higher than it is when you are having to catch the ball a foot off the ground all the time

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
This is true but we can't hang our hats on it happening just because it did at Rice. We got into trouble thinking the same thing about Greg McDermott and his magical 3rd year

Excuse me, I forgot, nothing positive at ISU can ever be accomplished in short order and Rice certainly has many advantages over ISU with respect to FB.:jimlad:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Excuse me, I forgot, nothing positive at ISU can ever be accomplished in short order and Rice certainly has many advantages over ISU with respect to FB.:jimlad:

Not sure how you got that out of what I said.

All I said is just because it happened elsewhere doesn't mean it will happen at ISU

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
How are we even comparing Arnaud to Sage and Seneca? Those 2 guys made big plays when it mattered and won games. I'm a big Arnaud supporter but he is a distant 3rd if you wanted to rank him with those 2 guys. He still has this season and next to change that but right now he's really struggling to find consistency in the passing game.

I still think we need to emphasize on recruiting a promising pocket passer in this recruiting class, redshirt him a year and develop him in this offense then let him and Tiller compete for the starting job in 2011. I don't think Tiller is going to be any better than Arnaud this season from what we have seen of him. Both of them are better running the ball than throwing it. I'm still hoping that Arnaud breaks out of this and by the end of the season we are more comfortable with the QB situation than some of us are right now.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Great Spread QB's have been in the offense all through high school. It is a very hard offense to just pick up. All the QB's that excel at it have been doing it for about half their lives by the time they start on the big stage. For Austin to just pick it up in 6 months isn't going to happen. However, we all thought he would be farther along than he is now. We weren't going to be world beaters this year anyway, give the kid some more time, let him get famaliar with the timing routes and lets if he isn't any better this time next year, than we start calling for his job. It is worthless and irresponsible to do it now.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Great Spread QB's have been in the offense all through high school. It is a very hard offense to just pick up. All the QB's that excel at it have been doing it for about half their lives by the time they start on the big stage. For Austin to just pick it up in 6 months isn't going to happen. However, we all thought he would be farther along than he is now. We weren't going to be world beaters this year anyway, give the kid some more time, let him get famaliar with the timing routes and lets if he isn't any better this time next year, than we start calling for his job. It is worthless and irresponsible to do it now.

This is his 3rd year in a spread offense. Yes, it is a tad different but nobody can really argue that the offensive playcalling has looked much different than last year

andynel88

Mar 20, 2007
How are we even comparing Arnaud to Sage and Seneca? Those 2 guys made big plays when it mattered and won games. I'm a big Arnaud supporter but he is a distant 3rd if you wanted to rank him with those 2 guys. He still has this season and next to change that but right now he's really struggling to find consistency in the passing game.

I'm not saying you're wrong in ranking AA behind those guys, but to say AA doesn't make plays to win the game is ludicrous. He lead ISU on a long drive down the field, completing a 4th and 5, and a long TD pass to tie the game before the PAT was blocked. I don't care if that TD pass was "lucky", he made it. He also was responsible for every TD in that game.
Also, do you remember the 90 yard drive in 90 seconds he lead ISU on the road at UNLV before the D blew it in OT? To say he doesn't make plays to win games is ignoring the facts. His accuracy may not be where you want it but don't make up stuff.

Where would this team be without AA at the helm? I would say a LOT worse off.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I doubt it, what would you gain. He would have to learn the system. AA would be worlds ahead of him.

Worlds ahead? The guy skips the ball to our receivers on a 5 yard out pattern. :biglaugh:

He may know what he is supposed to do with the ball but knowing what to do and actually doing it are two completely different things.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I think a lot of you need to go back to last year's posts and read about AA. He has never been a terrific passer. He had some good games but he had the same problems. Maybe he is a good leader on the field and instills confidence in his team.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006

Completed 55% of his passes---aside from the Mizzou game where he completed the 18 passes in a row or whatever it was, Wallace was not the accurate passer that everybody else makes him out to be.

What I was saying was that Rosenfels and Wallace both looked bad at times just like Arnaud is right now but that I'm not worried about it. You don't throw for close to 3,000 yards in the Big 12 and forget how to be a QB

Help Support Us

Become a patron