Anyone else's Mediacom Cable Tv out in Ames?

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
My wife has been calling in all night since her job is online - apparently a major fiber optic cable got cut somewhere and TV/interwebz is down all over the place (specifically mentioned Ames, Fort Dodge, Ankeny, DSM). Estimated fix time is 2AM.

I just remembered my internet is ISU's, and not mediacom, which would explain my lack of TV while still having internet.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Per @MediacomSupport on twitter, major outage in Iowa, working on fix, no ETA. They've been having all sorts of trouble recently, not sure what's going on.
They will get hot on it when their worker reports in at nine in the morning.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I'm in Nevada and it went out. We have ll 3 three mediacom option phone, cable and internet and all 3 were out. UGH. Nothing like having to pay through the *** only to have interruptions like this on a biweekly basis.

Ames

Sep 5, 2006
Since we're complaining about mediacom in here, i hate that they can't seem to get the cablecard thing right. They updated their channel mapping at some point and i found out the other day i've lost some of my local channels. No problem at all getting them through QAM tuning, but through the cablecard they don't work.
On my Tivo Elite I called them a few weeks ago and they sent a hit. About 30 mins later I was good to go. I did a reboot of the Tivo just to be safe.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Since we're complaining about mediacom in here, i hate that they can't seem to get the cablecard thing right. They updated their channel mapping at some point and i found out the other day i've lost some of my local channels. No problem at all getting them through QAM tuning, but through the cablecard they don't work.
Had a conversation with a Meidacom installer a few years ago that went something like this.

MC: "Sometimes cablecards work, sometimes they don't."

Me: "Aren't you required by law to make them work?"

MC: "Yeah, I guess so. (chuckles)."

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Fiber cuts happen a lot. Very easy to cut through...

What is scary is there was not redundant paths. A single cut should never take out service. That is just very poor planning.

Yeah, mediacom's redundancy blows. It seems once a month or two a fiber gets cut and the whole city goes down.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
On my Tivo Elite I called them a few weeks ago and they sent a hit. About 30 mins later I was good to go. I did a reboot of the Tivo just to be safe.

Theyve tried that already.. hits never seem to help me. Im guessing whatever is preventing the updated channel map from hitting my cable card is also preventing the hit from reaching. Something in their system that they'll never admit to, though it happens every time they change up the mappings.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Mediacom is a very poor service. If I could switch to DirectTv I would. Unfortunately, my landlords won't let me

Technically, they can't forbid it. The FCC requires landlords to allow this. Though, they don't have to allow you to mount the dish on the roof or drill holes to run wires.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My Mediacom got all farked up last week. Lost a lot of my local channels. Did a rescan and my HD STB is back working and one of my QAM TV's. The other (older and better) TV can't get 13-1 or 8-1. Can get 17-1 and 5-1 ok.

Need to see if I can change anything with my splitter situation :realmad: