Another Player Only Meeting...

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
This team has more wake-up calls than Gateway Center Holiday Inn after a Tri Delt graduate bachelorette partye

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Here's a summary of most of the one's I've been in:
Lots of "Blah Blah Blah" from the guys who are the problem trying to make everyone else look like the problem, while everyone else just tunes the aforementioned guys out because they know where the problems lie.

Also that sounds like every work meeting ever.

meetingsdemotivator.jpeg

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I have no problem with Monte taking game wining shots but when they are fade away 3pters when he could drive to hoop is what upsets me. Monte is great at fade away 15 footers or tear drops but last second threes..no. Given we lost Naz and to a certain extent McKay I'd say this season has been successful to this point. We've lost 7 of 8 games by total of 24 pts? 3 in overtime? I mean come on do you know just how close this team is to bring top 10 right now? It's ridiculous really. This team when all parties are focused and want to play D and rebound can beat anyone
Nobody hits three pointers when fading away except Buddy.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It can't hurt to hold a players meeting, but it likely won't help either when it's like the 4th one this year already and the previous ones didn't do any good.

But like I said, it's worth a shot. Heck, doing rain dances is worth a shot if it would work at this point.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
After losing Naz, anyone who understood basketball could see that this team wasn't deep enough to win the big 12. Close losses are tough but let's be honest.

32Cyclone Fan

Jan 31, 2008
That's yet to be seen. If we finish the regular season 3-2, lose in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament, and lose early in the NCAA Tournament, it will definitely be seen as a train wreck season after starting the season ranked in the Top 10.

Early in the season the experts as well as the fans were expecting to have Naz Long. I think the Cyclones have done remarkably well considering the loss of Naz for the season. They are only one game down from where they were with the games they played last year and this year to date. If the Cyclones would win their last 5 they could meet last years record of 12-6 but that's a tall order since we have to play at Kansas and W. Virginia yet but the Cyclones did sweep W. Virginia last year so maybe they can get a win there yet this year.

Four of the Cyclones losses have been by 5 points or less so with Naz Mitrou-Long out I'm sure those could easily have been wins. I feel bad for him, the team and even the fans that we aren't able to see what all of the seniors could have done playing together this year.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Here we go again.

Looking back on this season you'll either remember it as a) one hell of an awesome roller coaster ride or b) the biggest train wreck ever.

Biggest train wreck ever it's not going to be. No season where we make the NCAA Tourney is a trainwreck.

Go rewatch our McDermott years then tell me again that this season where we have been top 15 the entire year may be remembered as biggest train wreck ever

With the onslaught of likes on these posts, obviously I didn't clearly state what I meant.

For starters, by trainwreck I don't mean a failure of a season. So I'm not comparing it to times when we knew we were gonna suck, unranked, just fell flat, or didn't make the tournament (or McDermott).

I think it's fairly obvious that there has been a lot of off the court occurrences and conversations had about this team, moreso than other years. The season begins really where the last one ends. Everyone had huge expectation for this season, every analyst calling us a potential final four team easy. Then we have a legendary beloved by the players coach leave late in the off season leaving little room for recruiting. We get a new coach in and speculation starts if he can control this senior heavy team who is used to playing their way and pretty freely, or if they will accept a new coach. It starts out with them doing this until it's proven it's not working. He then tries to take the reigns back, which he did very successfully it seems. Then throughout the season there's rumblings of issues between teammates or with coaches, the McKay all over the place starting with the Italy trip, and 3 different player meetings. Plus some rumblings of people out to get theirs rather than playing team ball and finding the open guy.

All I'm saying is before Fred left everything and everyone seemed 100% great and it was Final Four or bust. You can't lie that off the court it's been a bit of a bumpy road. All I was commenting on is that it could end with two extremes (which I gave), or somewhere in middle. Sorry I didn't add an option c in there for all of you. I'm optimistic as can be about this team, just saying what my worst fear was as a Clone fan.

No it's not a bad season by any means, but if a few things went differently (not just scores, talking buy-in, defensive fundamentals, team work) we could EASILY be in cruise control for a regular season Big 12 title. We haven't had a lot of chances to do that lately and we screwed it up this year.

I think the season will end up somewhere in the middle, but I could also see those two extremes, the team imploding (hopefully not), or them banding together, buying in, and giving us one of the greatest seasons to ever remember.

I think we will peak at the right time and still make something magical happen.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Naz called this meeting because he is planning on coming back this season. That's why tears were shed. Look for him back on the floor come Saturday.

This is making me all hot and bothered.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
ya I mean, why not come back for 8 games this year when you could play 30 next year. Right?

I would do it. We are for sure making the NCAAs with two of the best players in the country and can make a serious run. Nothing is guaranteed next year including Morris being back. Is it an easy decision, no. But I also don't think it's abnormal to think it might have gone through his head.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I would do it. We are for sure making the NCAAs with two of the best players in the country and can make a serious run. Nothing is guaranteed next year including Morris being back. Is it an easy decision, no. But I also don't think it's abnormal to think it might have gone through his head.

Ok, not to be rude, but this line of thought is just ridiculous. You honestly think Naz would give up an entire season of basketball just to play a few games this year? That's just stupid. Nobody, and I mean nobody, that knows anything would agree with this line of thinking. It's his last year of basketball. Ever.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Ok, not to be rude, but this line of thought is just ridiculous. You honestly think Naz would give up an entire season of basketball just to play a few games this year? That's just stupid. Nobody, and I mean nobody, that knows anything would agree with this line of thinking. It's his last year of basketball. Ever.

Pretty much what I was thinking, BUT I will say Naz has looked pretty consumed on the sidelines the last few games.

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
Having read almost the whole thread I have the following two questions:

Will Naz be starting or coming off the bench?
Were refreshments served at the meeting?

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Wouldn't Vegas just take the game off the board if Naz played? I don't bet on sports and know this.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron