Another Player Only Meeting...

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Naz isn't 100% Naz, but don't think he will be next season either. Coming back at this point is probably not worth the risk and/or necessarily going to help a ton after being out this 'Long'. I suppose if he was a 6'10" rebounder, I might feel differently, tho. lol

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
My only question is.....can't players have a player's only meeting without the media and social media broadcasting it already? They literally have nothing that can stay only within the team, can it. Every article, line of questioning, tweet,etc. telling them what they did wrong and what they should have done....boy, that would get old.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I didn't mean it like it was a priority for ISU to list it. Just saying it's basically the same thing as the injury report for football.

I personally think the injury report is ridiculous from a sporting standpoint. It's nobody's business who will and won't be playing for each game. It's just that the mob happens to differ from my opinion.

And if you don't think the NCAA and Vegas lines don't exist to co-exist, then I wonder if there is any room under that rock you are under.

I understand what you are saying. But this isn't the NFL or NBA where injury reports are mandatory, there is nothing in the NCAA rules that state injuries must be disclosed. If Naz were to come back and it was kept hush hush no outside parties would know until the pre-game participation roster was filled out and submitted to the refs.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
That's yet to be seen. If we finish the regular season 3-2, lose in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament, and lose early in the NCAA Tournament, it will definitely be seen as a train wreck season after starting the season ranked in the Top 10.

Not to me. I've watched too many bad teams to not enjoy this season, regardless of how it ends.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Wouldn't Naz have to be listed on the active roster before the game starts if he were to come back. I don't think Vegas would be too happy without proper warning.

There's no active roster for college like there is for pro sports. Ernst and Naz could are both eligible to play any game this year. It would ruin their chance for a medical redshirt but other than that there's nothing preventing them from playing.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I've never been in a players only meeting, but I imagine it goes something like this:

"Hey, lets play better."

"I agree."

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My only question is.....can't players have a player's only meeting without the media and social media broadcasting it already? They literally have nothing that can stay only within the team, can it. Every article, line of questioning, tweet,etc. telling them what they did wrong and what they should have done....boy, that would get old.

That is on the team, though. If they agreed to keep it quiet and actually did, no one would know. Who knows, maybe they have had player only meetings that never saw the light of day.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
I've never been in a players only meeting, but I imagine it goes something like this:

"Hey, lets play better."

"I agree."

Being that they celebrate everything I imagine they have a special dap for player only meetings.

CyFan03

Jun 5, 2010
Ames
Lose in the first round of NCAA Tourney = Trainwreck for me. Don't really care about Big 12 tourney finish. We should be at least a 4 seed, so this would be a Big upset.

Win 1 game in NCAA Tourney, lose the 2nd = No trainwreck, but definitely disappointing.

Survive 1st weekend of NCAA Tourney, lose Sweet 16 = respectable, as long as it's not to a 10 seed or higher.

Win Sweet 16 game = It's all gravy from here and so happy for Georges and the gang! They totally have the talent to pull this off, but we have yet to win 3 games in a row against teams that are playing at a high level.

Regardless, I have appreciated watching Georges and Co all year, even though they make me want to pull my hair out from time to time. He truly is one of the greatest Cyclones ever and am glad I was a season ticket holder the years he was here.

Last edited:

CyFan03

Jun 5, 2010
Ames
I understand what you are saying. But this isn't the NFL or NBA where injury reports are mandatory, there is nothing in the NCAA rules that state injuries must be disclosed. If Naz were to come back and it was kept hush hush no outside parties would know until the pre-game participation roster was filled out and submitted to the refs.

There's no active roster for college like there is for pro sports. Ernst and Naz could are both eligible to play any game this year. It would ruin their chance for a medical redshirt but other than that there's nothing preventing them from playing.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize this and am a bit surprised.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

"Hey, lets play better."

"I agree."

Here's a summary of most of the one's I've been in:
Lots of "Blah Blah Blah" from the guys who are the problem trying to make everyone else look like the problem, while everyone else just tunes the aforementioned guys out because they know where the problems lie.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Lots of "Blah Blah Blah" from the guys who are the problem trying to make everyone else look like the problem, while everyone else just tunes the aforementioned guys out because they know where the problems lie.

Let's hope McKay wasn't doing much talking.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Also that sounds like every work meeting ever.

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
Glad to know the team cares. Not that I never thought the didnt.

Win or lose these guys just need to have fun out there. Its a once in a lifetime opprotunity and to be playing in Hilton in front of ESPN every game and sell out crowds.....just have fun, play as a team, and enjoy it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You can call plays all you want but you can only take what the defense is willing to give you. If a team is denying an entry pass you either have to give the player the ball 25 feet from the basket or force the entry and risk a turnover. The whole beauty of having more than one go to player is that the other team has difficulty denying all of your options and they have to generally play more straight up opening up things for all of your players. I strongly disagree with a team having to declare only one player their crunch time go to guy. Mixing it up between viable options makes it difficult for the opposition to know what is coming and scheme to defend it. Players also have to have the leeway to improvise if the primary option is unavailable or the play breaks down.
The game was tied. We had the last shot. We needed one point. We go to Georges and he will find a way.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Tommy Birch ‏@TommyBirch 32m32 minutes ago Monte Morris said they had a team meeting today. Players only. All positives he said. #Cyclones

Tommy Birch ‏@TommyBirch 24m24 minutes ago
Iowa State's Georges Niang: "We've just got to out-tough teams at this point." #Cyclones

[URL="https://twitter.com/TommyBirch"]Tommy Birch ‏@TommyBirch
13m13 minutes ago [/URL] Jameel McKay said it was a pretty emotional team meeting. Even some tears shed. #Cyclones

Tommy Birch ‏@TommyBirch 2m2 minutes ago
McKay than clarified that some guys just teared up. So, ya. #Cyclones

So then just McKay cried.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Naz called this meeting because he is planning on coming back this season. That's why tears were shed. Look for him back on the floor come Saturday.

This post will define you unless you are just being silly.

Reading further...never mind.

Last edited:

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I have no problem with Monte taking game wining shots but when they are fade away 3pters when he could drive to hoop is what upsets me. Monte is great at fade away 15 footers or tear drops but last second threes..no. Given we lost Naz and to a certain extent McKay I'd say this season has been successful to this point. We've lost 7 of 8 games by total of 24 pts? 3 in overtime? I mean come on do you know just how close this team is to bring top 10 right now? It's ridiculous really. This team when all parties are focused and want to play D and rebound can beat anyone