Amazon is buying Whole Foods

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Absolutely genius. When I lived in San Fran, there was WebVan trying to do this. But their mistake was trying to 'start' a grocery delivery service and failed to realize their gold nugget was the delivery mechanism. Amazon, on the other hand, already has that down. Always trying to stay ahead of forward thinkers, I'm wondering what their next play is.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I guess I'm not against this for things like boxed, frozen or canned goods, but I've tried other grocery delivery services and, imo, their produce sucks. Since fresh produce is about 75% of my weekly diet, I'm quite particular on it and even my wife can't pick out what I consider "Good" produce. I have to be in the store and have the stuff in my hand to inspect before I would buy it.

I agree on the produce front. I have used Hello Fresh and Blue Apron and I have had issues with some of their produce. Not happy with it.

I don't think the idea of the grocery store is going to go away, especially with the mind set of todays food consumer on freshness, being able to touch and fee it before buying, farmers markets, local, etc. The supply chain is going to have to get better in order to provide the level of produce found in grocery stores if they want to ship directly to my house. I think Amazon's move is to provide more technology in to the store until it can better improve the supply chain enough where something like product is of equal quality as picking up in the store vs shipping it to my house.

Reactions: Clonefan94

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I assume they would just attach this to it.

giphy.gif

I find the quick camera zoom funny for some reason.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think Amazon's move is to provide more technology in to the store until it can better improve the supply chain enough where something like product is of equal quality as picking up in the store vs shipping it to my house.

I think genetic engineering will have more to do with that in the future. Create product that appear fresher for longer periods of time, firmness, coloration, etc. They already do it for a lot of veggies.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It's different here in the midwest, but in more urban areas grocery delivery is not really a novel concept. It's been around for years. And in some of those markets, Amazon already has same day delivery on Prime stuff. This just feels like a logical expansion of something they've already been successful with.

It's not really a novel concept in the midwest cities either. If it wasn't popular in Des Moines I don't think Hy-Vee would buy a building just to handle the volume. I'd also like to know what % of Whole foods stores are in suburbs compared to large city centers.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
This is interesting, but I'm waiting for Amazon to take on the pharmaceutical industry. With their distribution system, they could kill the large mail order places. I've read a couple articles that Amazon is considering it.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
It's not really a novel concept in the midwest cities either. If it wasn't popular in Des Moines I don't think Hy-Vee would buy a building just to handle the volume. I'd also like to know what % of Whole foods stores are in suburbs compared to large city centers.
I think a lot of that comes from old people who aren't able to go grocery shopping. I mean they are definitely busy but I think it was more an issue that it greatly interfered with the main grocery store.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Am I the only one that thinks all of these conglomerates are bad for the future? What happens when Google, Amazon, WalMart, own everything.
I said years ago that Armageddon was going to be Walmart & Disney fighting it out for supremacy. I'm not sure Amazon really existed when I made that prediction

• Funny
Reactions: cyclonedave25

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I think a lot of that comes from old people who aren't able to go grocery shopping. I mean they are definitely busy but I think it was more an issue that it greatly interfered with the main grocery store.

The customer who uses the system the most are young families who either both work and have small children and this saves them time and the hassle of taking kids to the store. The fresh produce and meat selection will always be an issue because everyone has their own standard.

Reactions: dmclone

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Am I the only one that thinks all of these conglomerates are bad for the future? What happens when Google, Amazon, WalMart, own everything.

Well, as long as the stock keeps going up, I wont complain. :D

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
There was a short sighted company in Ames for a while that delivered items to your door. When I realized they didn't have an order minimum, I had this sent to multiple friends of mine.

81%2Bn8Y7OZ6L._SY679_.jpg

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
There was a short sighted company in Ames for a while that delivered items to your door. When I realized they didn't have an order minimum, I had this sent to multiple friends of mine.

81%2Bn8Y7OZ6L._SY679_.jpg

MonkeyThis? I was going to post about them earlier too. Ahead of their time. We toured their stock "store" for a class. They delivered booze too!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron