A Faster David Montgomery?

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
if form improvement can give him an added boost when he's in the open field that's about his only weakness. didn't break many at ISU either. hard to have a critique of the guy, but that's one area that Breece does seem to have the advantage.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
if form improvement can give him an added boost when he's in the open field that's about his only weakness. didn't break many at ISU either. hard to have a critique of the guy, but that's one area that Breece does seem to have the advantage.
Breece is more efficient and has a longer stride and seemingly stronger lower body. He does seem to have that little bit extra though in open field. David is just an angry runner with amazing vision and balance. If he can smooth out his stride and make smaller cuts (like Breece) he will get 'faster'.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Breece is more efficient and has a longer stride and seemingly stronger lower body. He does seem to have that little bit extra though in open field. David is just an angry runner with amazing vision and balance. If he can smooth out his stride and make smaller cuts (like Breece) he will get 'faster'.

I'm taking the side of the athlete and the coordinator he's working with. They described it like running with a loose axel. David explains as "never knowing how to run." Don't think it's an issue of agility drills or cuts as you mention unless I'm misreading the article.

DM gets caught from behind in open field. Breece is able to break away or not be caught in the open field nearly as frequently. That's the 'faster' that I'm talking about. And it would appear becoming a better runner (track and field at that point) will help him.

Reactions: khardbored

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm taking the side of the athlete and the coordinator he's working with. They described it like running with a loose axel. David explains as "never knowing how to run." Don't think it's an issue of agility drills or cuts as you mention unless I'm misreading the article.

DM gets caught from behind in open field. Breece is able to break away or not be caught in the open field nearly as frequently. That's the 'faster' that I'm talking about. And it would appear becoming a better runner (track and field at that point) will help him.
If you could make yourself faster in that way more people would. Much of that is natural ability.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Skeptical of real life results from this. Would be good to be faster but how many times a season is he going to be so open that you are running a sprint and not cutting of doing a quick burst. You'd have to work really hard on form to have it set into your muscle memory so that in the heat of the moment that's the form that prevails when you hit open field. With that said, if anyone could do this for real it might be a committed guy like him.

Sidebar: This thread reminded me of all of my recent walkabouts when I get to observe runners. Throw out the slow joggers and I am amazed at the godawful form of so many of them. I can usually hear them coming from distance behind me and they slap and clop their way forward In contrast to the heavy footed cloppers the weirdest form was some dude running by all on the balls of his foot, like prancing. Think I've seen one this spring with good form and she looked elite. Wanted to yell out "Great form!" but, of course, did not.
LOL. Good holding back!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He "estimates" his 40 time? The guy is a speed guru for the pros and doesn't have the ability to have him run a legit timed 40? That is some odd phrasing.

It's kind of like what I do for my weight. Sure, I could hop on a scale. But I'd rather not and just make up a number that works for me.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It's kind of like what I do for my weight. Sure, I could hop on a scale. But I'd rather not and just make up a number that works for me.

I know this is a joke, but scale weight is often not nearly as import as how you feel. I've lost some weight and I'm not at my goal yet, but holy crap I feel better now than I did just a few months ago.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Dude's been running with piles in the backfield for the last six years. Can we please get him a serviceable OL?
Yeah no kidding. I think I saw that currently the Bears have like 6 or 7 OL's injured right now.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I know this is a joke, but scale weight is often not nearly as import as how you feel. I've lost some weight and I'm not at my goal yet, but holy crap I feel better now than I did just a few months ago.

I get it, but once I started working out I gained weight. I lost my beer belly and gained more of a 4 pack than a 6 pack, but still went from 150 to 170 and it was losing fat and gaining muscle.