A Faster David Montgomery?

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Loving it. David is elite at turning a 0-3 yd gain into an 8 to 10 yarder, but struggles to get it in that 15-20 zone. It's tough to run for average when you can't consistently pop off for 15-20. Also good job by his agent to get stories out there that are changing his narrative.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Skeptical of real life results from this. Would be good to be faster but how many times a season is he going to be so open that you are running a sprint and not cutting of doing a quick burst. You'd have to work really hard on form to have it set into your muscle memory so that in the heat of the moment that's the form that prevails when you hit open field. With that said, if anyone could do this for real it might be a committed guy like him.

Sidebar: This thread reminded me of all of my recent walkabouts when I get to observe runners. Throw out the slow joggers and I am amazed at the godawful form of so many of them. I can usually hear them coming from distance behind me and they slap and clop their way forward In contrast to the heavy footed cloppers the weirdest form was some dude running by all on the balls of his foot, like prancing. Think I've seen one this spring with good form and she looked elite. Wanted to yell out "Great form!" but, of course, did not.

Last edited:

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Skeptical of real life results from this. Would be good to be faster but how many times a season is he going to be so open that you are running a sprint and not cutting of doing a quick burst. You'd have to work really hard on form to have it set into your muscle memory so that in the heat of the moment that's the form that prevails when you hit open field. With that said, if anyone could do this for real it might be a committed guy like him.
Fixing mechanics is never a bad thing. At the least it will ward off use injuries and give him a longer potential career.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I guess my point was, there isn't a high correlation to some level of 40-time to being a successful RB. 4.49 is the average for NFL RBs, but faster or slower by a little doesn't correlate well to being a successful starting RB.

You can have a good RB with a relatively slower time.

You can have a relatively faster time and still not be a successful RB.

There's a lot more to be said to correlate success with qualities that are qualitative, like vision, quickness, reading and anticipating blocks, etc.

However, it would seem that DM, already starting to prove he can be successful as a starting RB -- increasing his relative speed is obviously a Good Thing (R).

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm talking about how it just seems like some just move better in the actual game for whatever reason vs some measurement.

Just kind of a funny deal.
Running in pads changes everything, but the pads today are so much smaller and easier to move in.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think it is probably more that those guys are slowed by the pads less than the guys around him so he appears faster in pads than without.
Running in pads changes everything, but the pads today are so much smaller and easier to move in.

I think you're taking it too literal or objective although I didn't explain it very well.

I'm going more at the 'gamer' angle. Like Larry Bird would not win many 'test' contests and really didn't even have sound technical shooting form but put him on the court and it doesn't matter.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think you're taking it too literal or objective although I didn't explain it very well.

I'm going more at the 'gamer' angle. Like Larry Bird would not win many 'test' contests and really didn't even have sound technical shooting form but put him on the court and it doesn't matter.
I get it. I used to love to race in the rain, cold or snow. Not because I was faster in it or it didn't bother me. I loved it because I knew it bothered the other guys more than it bothered me. Anything for an edge.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Everyone has that edge in the pros. Some people are psychotic (Michael Jordan) when it comes to game time and competition. Whatever works. As far as mechanics of running, Jerry Rice ran a 4.7+ forty time in combine. He was fast in pads though. That was more my point.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Not a myth, documented. It could have been a bad day but 3 tenths is a real bad day.
Psst. That’s not “documented”. That’s “oft repeated”. Results weren’t posted officially back then. Al Gore hadn’t invented the internet yet.

i could post a couple of sources, but this is the best one. If you subscribe to The Athletic, try this:

The McGinn Files: ‘He’s going to have to step up a level, and I think he will.’ The talk about Jerry Rice before the ’85 draft
https://theathletic.com/1296454/201...fore-the-85-draft/?source=user_shared_article

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Psst. That’s not “documented”. That’s “oft repeated”. Results weren’t posted officially back then. Al Gore hadn’t invented the internet yet.

i could post a couple of sources, but this is the best one. If you subscribe to The Athletic, try this:

The McGinn Files: ‘He’s going to have to step up a level, and I think he will.’ The talk about Jerry Rice before the ’85 draft
https://theathletic.com/1296454/201...fore-the-85-draft/?source=user_shared_article
*Buck snort* rolls eyes.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Sidebar: This thread reminded me of all of my recent walkabouts when I get to observe runners. Throw out the slow joggers and I am amazed at the godawful form of so many of them. I can usually hear them coming from distance behind me and they slap and clop their way forward In contrast to the heavy footed cloppers the weirdest form was some dude running by all on the balls of his foot, like prancing. Think I've seen one this spring with good form and she looked elite. Wanted to yell out "Great form!" but, of course, did not.
I relate it to changing your technique on the guitar. It's more of a mental thing until you get the feel for the new way. Once you get the feeling it's just a matter of repetition.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron