2019 season projection

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I just don’t see how we don’t finally beat Iowa. We are better than them. They won’t pull another one off.
Well thank you! Can't believe how many posters are predicting another loss to Iowa. Then they go back to ripping them and the Big Ten West. Good god.
Tired of losing to our bitter rival...and simply have to beat them in Jack Trice.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy and Aclone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Well thank you! Can't believe how many posters are predicting another loss to Iowa. Then they go back to ripping them and the Big Ten West. Good god.
Tired of losing to our bitter rival...and simply have to beat them in Jack Trice.

Their defense kicked our ass last year. It’s hard to get that out of my head. Yes, we should be better this season, but until Campbell beats Iowa, it’s not difficult to envision a loss. Iowa has a good team. They’re not great, kinda like us.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
8-4 is the ceiling unless the o-line makes SIGNIFICANT strides. They have been horrible for too long.

The Iowa game will be very telling if the line can play at the level we need

I can't believe people are disagreeing with you on this. I feel exactly the same way. Our oline looked rough last year even with Montgomery to cover for it. It has been bad for years. I know there are some reasons for optimism there this year, but until I see them dominate against a lesser UNI and hold their own against a dline like Iowa, I can't reasonably predict anything above 8 wins.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
8-4 is a "nut cup" season now?

This is why we can't have nice things
8-4 is a nut up prediction, in that people are finding excuses for four losses so they won’t be disappointed if “better” doesn’t happen.

I think some of you need to revisit the basketball forums to see how inflated expectations can ruin perspective on a decent year.
See above. To quote Gundy, I’m a grown man, and can handle it if my predictions wind up short of reality. I know my limitations.

Their defense kicked our ass last year. It’s hard to get that out of my head. Yes, we should be better this season, but until Campbell beats Iowa, it’s not difficult to envision a loss. Iowa has a good team. They’re not great, kinda like us.
You seem to forget A. That our defense kicked their ass last year, and B. That was pre-Purdy.

But mostly A.

You’re not “envisioning” a loss. You’re assuming one.

• Winner
Reactions: Tornado man

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
See above. To quote Gundy, I’m a grown man, and can handle it if my predictions wind up short of reality. I know my limitations.

Pretty sure he's not challenging your manhood.

You say that now. But what usually happens when reality falls short of expectations?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Pretty sure he's not challenging your manhood.

You say that now. But what usually happens when reality falls short of expectations?
What happens is generally that I stay away from CF, because of the innumerable meltdown threads by folks who aren’t able to reconcile the shortcoming.

Me? I adjust my estimations, take a deep breath, and move on.

Feel free to insert an End Game trailer meme here. :rolleyes:

• Winner
Reactions: flycy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Sorry, but 8-4.

I just can't go higher than that until this offense improves DRAMATICALLY. The defense will carry this team once again, just like last year, but that will only get us to 8 wins. To get any higher, we must improve our Total Offense from the 95th out of 129 it was last year to a top 50 Total Offense this year..... and that's with losing our top 2 offensive players from last year.

I'm not saying we can't do that, but I feel our OL will have to improve a lot, while at the same time our gameplanning and in game play calling will have to improve a lot as well.

And just going back to the way Manning ran the offense and called plays before he left for the NFL won't cut it IMO because our Total Offense wasn't much better when he was last here either. My hope is that having a stud like Purdy will help Manning, and that having spent a year in the NFL will help him too.

If I were playing ISU, I'd watch the Texas film from last year and just blitz the hell out of us because we haven't shown the ability to beat a blitz since I can remember.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
What happens is generally that I stay away from CF, because of the innumerable meltdown threads by folks who aren’t able to reconcile the shortcoming.

Me? I adjust my estimations, take a deep breath, and move on.

Feel free to insert an End Game trailer meme here. :rolleyes:

Fair enough.

I tend to be more on the realistic side, so I always have a hard time picking the "best case" scenario when making predictions.

I do hope we win every game though

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
8-4 is a nut up prediction, in that people are finding excuses for four losses so they won’t be disappointed if “better” doesn’t happen.

You seem to forget A. That our defense kicked their ass last year, and B. That was pre-Purdy.

But mostly A.

You’re not “envisioning” a loss. You’re assuming one.

Uhh, ok. I predicted a loss to Iowa. Predict, envision, both looking into the future. I’m not sure how that’s assuming a loss to Iowa. I definitely think we can beat them. I didn’t forget that it was pre-Purdy. I remember a game against Texas when our OL was completely outmatched and he played poorly because he had no time.

But please, tell me what I ACTUALLY said when my ACTUAL words are right there. Weirdo.

Our defense was great against Iowa last season. And we lost 13-3. So what’s your point.

Nothing makes people more defensive or delusional than talking about Iowa on here.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Repeating others' but 8-4 would be just fine. That's a nice season. I liken it to NCAA tourney qualification.

Likely with that record, things could have gone better here and there, but they could have gone worse, and overall there's nothing to really complain about.

If any fanbases use the 'yeah, that's good at a place like Iowa State', my reply is '....and?'

That said, 7-5 would be pretty 'meh', considering the talent and depth upgrades, and 6-6 would mean injuries happened all over the place. Those are in that 'NIT' category.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Uhh, ok. I predicted a loss to Iowa. Predict, envision, both looking into the future. I’m not sure how that’s assuming a loss to Iowa. I definitely think we can beat them. I didn’t forget that it was pre-Purdy. I remember a game against Texas when our OL was completely outmatched and he played poorly because he had no time.

But please, tell me what I ACTUALLY said when my ACTUAL words are right there. Weirdo.

Our defense was great against Iowa last season. And we lost 13-3. So what’s your point.

Nothing makes people more defensive or delusional than talking about Iowa on here.

Any top 25ish team or program is going to be a tough out for any team in the same discussion which means Iowa will generally be a tough matchup for ISU. The hope is that ISU schemes a better vs. a tough front like teams like Iowa and Texas bring, which they haven't done. Pretty sure Jay Jordan pointed those shortcomings out the last two years.

My only hope on the Iowa game: if ISU wins, no field storming. :)

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Sorry, but 8-4.

I just can't go higher than that until this offense improves DRAMATICALLY. The defense will carry this team once again, just like last year, but that will only get us to 8 wins. To get any higher, we must improve our Total Offense from the 95th out of 129 it was last year to a top 50 Total Offense this year..... and that's with losing our top 2 offensive players from last year.

I'm not saying we can't do that, but I feel our OL will have to improve a lot, while at the same time our gameplanning and in game play calling will have to improve a lot as well.

And just going back to the way Manning ran the offense and called plays before he left for the NFL won't cut it IMO because our Total Offense wasn't much better when he was last here either. My hope is that having a stud like Purdy will help Manning, and that having spent a year in the NFL will help him too.

If I were playing ISU, I'd watch the Texas film from last year and just blitz the hell out of us because we haven't shown the ability to beat a blitz since I can remember.

You didn't like the way Manning called the offense? Jeesh didn't we average like 40 ppg before the Park meltdown and then we went and outscored @OU with a walk on QB and reeled off 4 straight wins?

Yeah the offense wasn't stellar down the stretch but we we're pretty limited offensively with Kempt at QB and had injuries to various positions.. we also kept it as vanilla as possible to intentionally rely on our defense.

With that said, you're allowed to predict a modest 8 wins. I just feel that Manning will be a very nice boost to our offense this year compared to last year.

• Winner
Reactions: Brandon

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You didn't like the way Manning called the offense? Jeesh didn't we average like 40 ppg before the Park meltdown and then we went and outscored @OU with a walk on QB and reeled off 4 straight wins?

Yeah the offense wasn't stellar down the stretch but we we're pretty limited offensively with Kempt at QB and had injuries to various positions.. we also kept it as vanilla as possible to intentionally rely on our defense.

With that said, you're allowed to predict a modest 8 wins. I just feel that Manning will be a very nice boost to our offense this year compared to last year.

Should have been more creative here.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I do feel that Manning will help the OL performance, but on the scheming and play calling I'll just have to see it to believe it.

2018-19 (without Manning)- 371 yds/gm 5.82 yds/play 26.7 pts/gm
2017-18 (with Manning)- 386 yds/gm 5.6 yds/play 29.2 pts/gm

With those stats you'd have to say Manning should help us somewhat this season.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Should have been more creative here.

You've nailed it... that's been our offense. That, and handing it off to DM into a brick wall and hoping he'll do something miraculous. I can draw up that offense.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
The passing game will be fine, and the Cyclones maybe have the best QB they have started the season with since 2002.

The OL will be better than it has been, but there is no David Montgomery. What if a better OL makes up for Montgomery and Purdy is just better?

In that case, I hope 7-5 is the floor and 9-3 is not a big stretch.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You've nailed it... that's been our offense. That, and handing it off to DM into a brick wall and hoping he'll do something miraculous. I can draw up that offense.

The play was totally vanilla but worked and then ISU won in Norman.

While I'd like to see ISU be better on both sides, ISU has proven two seasons in a row that you don't have to be crazy on offense to be successful. If the Oline gets shored up ISU can continue to be vanilla and still be successful.