2019 season projection

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You didn't like the way Manning called the offense? Jeesh didn't we average like 40 ppg before the Park meltdown and then we went and outscored @OU with a walk on QB and reeled off 4 straight wins?

Yeah the offense wasn't stellar down the stretch but we we're pretty limited offensively with Kempt at QB and had injuries to various positions.. we also kept it as vanilla as possible to intentionally rely on our defense.

With that said, you're allowed to predict a modest 8 wins. I just feel that Manning will be a very nice boost to our offense this year compared to last year.

Hey... it's not like I'm saying we've been terrible. We just went to the Liberty Bowl and the Alamo Bowl in back to back years, season ticket sales are setting every record, we're picked to finish 3rd in the Big 12 by many publications, etc, etc, etc..... but to win 9, 10, 11 or more games I just think we'll need to see a big improvement in our offense, that's all I'm saying. And we'll have to do that in a year where we've lost both of our go-to guys from the year before.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think 9-3. Losses at Oklahoma, at Baylor, and Texas at home.

Predicting which teams we'll lose to is somewhat difficult IMO. It seems like every year there are wins you get that you don't expect, but there are also losses you get that you don't expect.

My surprise win this year is Texas. I just have a gut feeling we get them at home in November. Jack Trice will be pumped and I think this team really wants to get them.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Predicting which teams we'll lose to is somewhat difficult IMO. It seems like every year there are wins you get that you don't expect, but there are also losses you get that you don't expect.

My surprise win this year is Texas. I just have a gut feeling we get them at home in November. Jack Trice will be pumped and I think this team really wants to get them.
Well who knows. Of our 5 losses last year they were all pretty much to the 5 best teams on the schedule.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I think I need some help. I need someone to talk me down. I fully believe we will win 10 games and go to the big 12 title game. I have always been very realistic when it comes to ISU football, but in my head I can't help but feel this is crazy. That would be the best season in history by a long shot. It has to be dumb to feel this strongly about something that has never happened in the history of the program. People ask how I think we will be and I say 8-4 because I don't want to say it out loud. Tell me I'm crazy.

I think the trick this year is that there are a lot of close games we are probably narrow favorites in right now.

Our over under for the year is 8. Also, if you look at the FPI analytics on ESPN we are picked to win 7.8 total games (add up the chances of winning each game). But, if we win all of the games we are "favored" in (again, based on ESPN analytics) we go 10-2.

It's hard to pick against your team in a game we "should" win.... Could we go 10-2 and make the B12 title game? Sure. But we will likely have about 8 games that are really close and 4 where we "likely" go 3-1 (UNI, ULM, Kansas, OU). Going 7-1 in close games will be really hard....

My prediction for the year is that at some point we will be playing for a 10th win.. maybe its in the B12 title game, maybe it's in a bowl game, maybe it's against texas :)

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Hey... it's not like I'm saying we've been terrible. We just went to the Liberty Bowl and the Alamo Bowl in back to back years, season ticket sales are setting every record, we're picked to finish 3rd in the Big 12 by many publications, etc, etc, etc..... but to win 9, 10, 11 or more games I just think we'll need to see a big improvement in our offense, that's all I'm saying. And we'll have to do that in a year where we've lost both of our go-to guys from the year before.

Yes but the easiest guys to replace are always the skill players. No knock on either of them, but I have no doubt the offense will be significantly better this year. They each had their deficiencies as well (HB a high drop rate and DM lack of break away speed and average at best use of blockers).

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Our OL is going to be much better this year

We all hope so. I just want to see it instead of hear the media talking about it on their podcasts. The dream would be a 6 play opening drive against UNI where ISU just manhandles their d-line with consecutive double-digit runs within the tackles

Defense stays the same and the offense line improves, we are a Big 12 title contender.

Campbell's last year at Toldeo, his offense was top 50 in the country. So it can happen, but Rhoads left us the with nothing for o-line so it will take time

https://www.cfbanalytics.com/2015-ratings

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'll go with 8-4 with losses to Baylor, Oklahoma and 2 somewhere else. That Baylor game last year was close. Them losing Brewer was more significant than us losing Montgomery, which is hard to type. This feels like a game where they get one key defensive stop and eke out a close one.

Conversely, I'm not set on Texas being a loss for us yet. Last year's game was the first one where Purdy faced that much pressure. I think Texas brings pressure all day long, but I'm confident in the staff to be prepared with some quick dump-offs this year. Plus Jack Trice will be amped up! IMO, this game will come down to whether or not we're able to move the ball on the ground at all. If we're one dimensional, I don't like our chances.

I'm guessing we drop a game or two that we're supposed to win. We're better than a lot of teams on the schedule, but we're not multiple scores better. A turnover or a special teams miscue may cost us a game we all have penciled in as a win. I'm glad to get TCU and OK State at home, because I think that will play a big role.

Overall, I'm optimistic now, but I will revert back to my normal nervous self once the games start.

• Disagree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Lots has changed, but if you "need a cold shower" watch last year's Drake game. That should balance out some of the optimism.

• Agree
Reactions: cymonw1980

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'll go with 8-4 with losses to Baylor, Oklahoma and 2 somewhere else. That Baylor game last year was close. Them losing Brewer was more significant than us losing Montgomery, which is hard to type. This feels like a game where they get one key defensive stop and eke out a close one.

Conversely, I'm not set on Texas being a loss for us yet. Last year's game was the first one where Purdy faced that much pressure. I think Texas brings pressure all day long, but I'm confident in the staff to be prepared with some quick dump-offs this year. Plus Jack Trice will be amped up! IMO, this game will come down to whether or not we're able to move the ball on the ground at all. If we're one dimensional, I don't like our chances.

I'm guessing we drop a game or two that we're supposed to win. We're better than a lot of teams on the schedule, but we're not multiple scores better. A turnover or a special teams miscue may cost us a game we all have penciled in as a win. I'm glad to get TCU and OK State at home, because I think that will play a big role.

Overall, I'm optimistic now, but I will revert back to my normal nervous self once the games start.

The Baylor game will certainly be tough but I see us going down there with a chip on our shoulders after the way Baylor gooned it up in the Jack last year. You can bet your *ss that CMC has this game circled. I can actually see us going down there and making a big statement this year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This is the first off season I can remember any positivity coming from the media or insiders about our OL

We have legit 2 deep depth and there have been some huge weight gains. Between young guys pushing for time and the older guys developing we will make a big step forward this year.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
For those correctly questioning our ability to handle blitz pressure, pay attention to the discussions this fall on the use of 2-3 tight end packages. If we can demonstrate the ability to hurt a defense with one of the tight ends slipping out as a relief valve for the pressure, it will slow down the blitz packages because they have to worry about which one to cover.

Anyway, I am an accountant, so what do I know......

I think we win 9 regular season games and get number 10 in a good bowl game.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
We have legit 2 deep depth and there have been some huge weight gains. Between young guys pushing for time and the older guys developing we will make a big step forward this year.
This. Gone are the times of shifting 4 linemen around on the oline to cover for someone injured. The depth here is much better, which also will allow for some breaks during games, making the players a little less fatigued, especially as the season grinds on. It also gives the coaches the option of replacing a player if they aren't performing...very little drop off.

I also agree with replacing the skill players...are they Montgomery and Butler...no. But, they will certainly be different than anything the other teams have played against in the past couple of years...and will bring their own unique style of play onto the field.

19 days...

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I honestly don't know why anyone tries to take anything away from that Drake game last year.
The only thing to take away from it is, "you never know." On paper, that game never should have played out like it did. Whats on paper so far this year... may not play out like it is :)

Help Support Us

Become a patron