2019 season projection

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Conversely, I'm not set on Texas being a loss for us yet. Last year's game was the first one where Purdy faced that much pressure. I think Texas brings pressure all day long, but I'm confident in the staff to be prepared with some quick dump-offs this year. Plus Jack Trice will be amped up!

The check-down/dump off needs to be used more in general. If throwing it up for Butler and giving it to Montgomery were examples of letting your playmakers make plays, so is the dump off.

A really underrated play last year was getting Purdy on a bit of a roll out and hitting someone for a 5 yard pick up. A first down is better than 3rd and long.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This. Gone are the times of shifting 4 linemen around on the oline to cover for someone injured. The depth here is much better, which also will allow for some breaks during games, making the players a little less fatigued, especially as the season grinds on. It also gives the coaches the option of replacing a player if they aren't performing...very little drop off.

I also agree with replacing the skill players...are they Montgomery and Butler...no. But, they will certainly be different than anything the other teams have played against in the past couple of years...and will bring their own unique style of play onto the field.

19 days...

Plus we have legit size now too. When you look at the 2 deeps, we aren't going to put anyone out there that isn't ready from a physical standpoint. The thought of an improved o-line and a 2 TE set has me concerned that this won't be going down in 4 hours...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Plus we have legit size now too. When you look at the 2 deeps, we aren't going to put anyone out there that isn't ready from a physical standpoint. The thought of an improved o-line and a 2 TE set has me concerned that this won't be going down in 4 hours...

Give me the set at 1:45 not only happening at the goalline. A favorite to watch from a few years ago was when Oregon was in its heyday and Stanford beat them with this kind of game.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
We all hope so. I just want to see it instead of hear the media talking about it on their podcasts. The dream would be a 6 play opening drive against UNI where ISU just manhandles their d-line with consecutive double-digit runs within the tackles

Defense stays the same and the offense line improves, we are a Big 12 title contender.

Campbell's last year at Toldeo, his offense was top 50 in the country. So it can happen, but Rhoads left us the with nothing for o-line so it will take time

https://www.cfbanalytics.com/2015-ratings

That would be a fantastic sign. UNI is going to be really good up front defensively with two really good tackles in Brinkman and Butcher. If Iowa State gets movement right away against those two, I think it sets up well for the year.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Sorry, but 8-4.

I just can't go higher than that until this offense improves DRAMATICALLY. The defense will carry this team once again, just like last year, but that will only get us to 8 wins. To get any higher, we must improve our Total Offense from the 95th out of 129 it was last year to a top 50 Total Offense this year..... and that's with losing our top 2 offensive players from last year.

I'm not saying we can't do that, but I feel our OL will have to improve a lot, while at the same time our gameplanning and in game play calling will have to improve a lot as well.

And just going back to the way Manning ran the offense and called plays before he left for the NFL won't cut it IMO because our Total Offense wasn't much better when he was last here either. My hope is that having a stud like Purdy will help Manning, and that having spent a year in the NFL will help him too.

If I were playing ISU, I'd watch the Texas film from last year and just blitz the hell out of us because we haven't shown the ability to beat a blitz since I can remember.

So remember this when you come here to post like a scorned teenaged girl after a loss. Actually, remember this and don’t post.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
9-3

losses to OU, BU, OSU.

We spoil TX playoff hopes.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I’m not sure that I ever actually made a prediction but I’ve kind of settled on 10-2 and losing to OU and Texas. Texas slips up against some other teams and we play OU in Dallas. I doubt this exact scenario happens but I’ve said before I would be more shocked with a 6-6 season than a 12-0 season

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Lots has changed, but if you "need a cold shower" watch last year's Drake game. That should balance out some of the optimism.

Agree... you can also look at the tech game last year. That was 31-31 in the 4th qtr, tech had the ball with 4:39 to play and the defense got the big play (safety) and the offense got a TD on the following drive to put the game out of reach. But most of our games were very close (wins and losses). I don't expect to have a lot of blowouts this season either. Hard to win 9 or 10 games when 9 of the 12 regular season games are likely to be a score or two difference.

The interesting thing is that you can see the CMC's vision playing out... his messages have been very consistent "win in the margins", "trust the process", "we have such a small margin for error".. He has the team at a point where they will be in every game. But to win, we will need to be more fundamentally sound, not make mistakes (penalties, turnovers, etc.), force opponents to earn every yard, basically, "win in the margins".

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
CBS Sports did a College Football Playoff prediction with their "experts", as well as discussing most overrated/underrated teams and coach of the year.

Let's just say, we are not in the CFP, but we are in every other topic discussed.. https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...rt-picks-most-overrated-and-underrated-teams/

My favorite part:
Let's just push all the chips forward on this Iowa State hype train. It's less of a gamble than it appears. The Cyclones have one of the game's rising stars at in Matt Campbell. It has top tier coordinators in Jon Heacock (defense) and Tom Manning (offense) -- even if you've never heard of them. It has a quarterback that would be coming off of a national freshman of the year type of season in any traditional Trevor Lawrence-less year. It has an offensive line that returns all of its starters, and it has a defense that returns eight players off the second best unity in the Big 12. I'm not taking a flyer on a penny stock. This is a principled investment in a team that checks all the boxes for growth and a steady return. Buy in now before this team enters November undefeated. -- Barton Simmons