2/17 Winter Weather

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Its like this winter just has to **** with us some more. "Oh, you were looking forward to it finally being above freezing after this winter being cold as ****? Have some snow, *****!"

You forgot, "And I might just come in May again this year!"

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Those light fluffy snows have a snow to water ratio of 20"-1" or so. So the difference between 1" of snow and 3" of snow is about 0.1" of water.

So it's like if in the spring they tried predicting if that thunderstorm is going to drop 0.1" of rain or 0.2" of rain.
Never thought of it that way.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Those light fluffy snows have a snow to water ratio of 20"-1" or so. So the difference between 1" of snow and 3" of snow is about 0.1" of water.

So it's like if in the spring they tried predicting if that thunderstorm is going to drop 0.1" of rain or 0.2" of rain.

That's fine and I understand. I'm just saying that with those types of weather events (i.e. the fast moving clipper type things), more often than not it causes more snow than the models indicate. It seems as though expirence would tell you that the models are often wrong and up the snow predictions.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
Be careful around campus. Traction on the sidewalks was fine in the snow until they plowed, which uncovered a slick of ice pretty much everywhere.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Be careful around campus. Traction on the sidewalks was fine in the snow until they plowed, which uncovered a slick of ice pretty much everywhere.

Back in the '80's (yep, officially old) it seemed like snow removal was basically ice polishing on campus. Sounds like it hasn't changed much.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
It's not terrible, really, but my walk to the bus (in the snow) was easy compared to my walk from the bus to my office (plowed).

SpiderClone

Jan 17, 2014
I can attest to the descriptions of campus sidewalks so far. The 2-5 inches of snow on top of the sidewalks are good for traction. Sidewalks that have been swept are slick.

So basically you either get wet feet, or a wet bum.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
That's fine and I understand. I'm just saying that with those types of weather events (i.e. the fast moving clipper type things), more often than not it causes more snow than the models indicate. It seems as though expirence would tell you that the models are often wrong and up the snow predictions.

Actually, a lot of time models can overdo the amount of moisture available to "clipper" systems and output high totals.

The most difficult part of clippers tends to be placement of the heavy axis. Because, as you pointed out, they are typically very fast moving it s difficult to keep things up TP date with exactly where the wave of energy will break off and then interpolate the path downstream another few hundred miles.

Plus, if you've read any of the storm threads this winter, you've likely seen me rail against raw model output just about every time.

I always massage the data, I'm just not always right. I'm first to admit that. (Except this time. Right on this time :wink:)

Just trying to provide enough information so that people can try to make an informed decision.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I don't have to leave the house until 3:00, wondering if there is a chance the ice will melt off the car by then. I know I shouldn't laugh, he could be hurt, but every time my dog wipes out on the stairs, I can't help it. Legs flying everywhere.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I can attest to the descriptions of campus sidewalks so far. The 2-5 inches of snow on top of the sidewalks are good for traction. Sidewalks that have been swept are slick.

So basically you either get wet feet, or a wet bum.

And it's why you have the "cow paths" next to the sidewalks all over campus.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
They are plowing the parking lot of our office building for the third time this morning.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Left for Omaha after Cedar Fall visit. Zoomed by at 75 past Ames last night on into Omaha. However, had to help with an emergency fifteen miles away at 2:30 this morning and roads were slick as a whistle before the one inch Omaha snow came. Thought i had dodged a bullet, but I did not avoid the bad roads. Lucky for me that only plows were sanding.

It is 37 already and snow is melting.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
And it's why you have the "cow paths" next to the sidewalks all over campus.
Ya when I was still in school I would walk next to the sidewalks, because that brush they use on those little forklift/gator things just makes the ice polished.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron