In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I worked at DaVinci's when I was in school. Garlic cheese rolls with marinara was a money side. The five cheese pizza and cheesesteak sandwiches were memorable too.

Also miss Flying Burrito next to the old Kum & Go on the Sheldon corner. The food wasn't better than it's contemporaries, but the late night hours made it available during the times I was apt to provide very subjective reviews.
A good friend of mine used to be a manager there. He claims he still knows how to make all of the menu items, but unfortunately has never demonstrated that knowledge. Now you have to go to Lincoln, Nebraska if you want Davinci's. I spent a week down there for work, a while ago, and I think we ate at Davinci's 3 times. Had to get a chicken cheese steak for one meal, pizza for another, and then another cheese steak for the third meal just for good measure. People in the office I was visiting were like "You really seem to like that place." And I had to explain how it used to be in Ames.

• Love
Reactions: NWICY and HOTDON

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
When we lived out there we got a coupon every month to be used at West Towne Pub. Good times.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
A good friend of mine used to be a manager there. He claims he still knows how to make all of the menu items, but unfortunately has never demonstrated that knowledge. Now you have to go to Lincoln, Nebraska if you want Davinci's. I spent a week down there for work, a while ago, and I think we ate at Davinci's 3 times. Had to get a chicken cheese steak for one meal, pizza for another, and then another cheese steak for the third meal just for good measure. People in the office I was visiting were like "You really seem to like that place." And I had to explain how it used to be in Ames.
I was not only working, but the sole delivery driver the night of the VEISHEA riot. I was also working there when the family that owned it closed it for good. Solid memories of all the people I worked with. Super fun job.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I remember going to eat there in college (2015-18) and there was usually at least a 20-40 minute wait. The food was pretty decent as well, but when I moved back to Ames a couple years ago, in the two times I've been since, the place was deserted, the food wasn't very good and the place just felt gross overall.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
yes, the Ames one will operate as ISU new wrestling center

That’s the secondary gym not the main facility.