In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
The Pokey Stix thread got me thinking about all the places I miss in Ames that have closed. What are yours?

Off the top of my head:

Gumby's: Pokey Stix and Pepperoni rolls
HomeTeam Pizza: Dirt cheap drunk food, 3 mediums for $10. Plus they had a cheesy commercial shot at Sterling.
Angies: Didn't seem to last long but that was a great after bar spot, always packed, good breakfast.
La Fuente: Margarita Challenge! Solid mexican food, although El Azteca topped it when they came to town.
The Truck Stop: Great food just a little out of the way. Cyclone Slam ftw
Battles: The original location, went downhill a bit once they moved to Welch and owner died.

Elwood Drive: Screw University Boulevard.

HomeTeam Pizza was the place with the Huger Huge pizza right?
95-97 when I was in dorms, used to order that late nights all the time and split it 3-4 ways

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
How was battles BBQ? I always walked past it as a student and thought i should try it but never did. I figured it was a location issue that cause it to fail but OP mentions the owner dying so was it quality as well? Or was the owner dying the final nail?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How was battles BBQ? I always walked past it as a student and thought i should try it but never did. I figured it was a location issue that cause it to fail but OP mentions the owner dying so was it quality as well? Or was the owner dying the final nail?
Was AMAZING when it was on Hayward and ran by the Battle family.
Went mediocre when purchased by Goodman and into old Keg Shop building on Welch.

The Hayward spot did 4/5 oz sandwiches, chips, great sauce, great garlic bread, great lemonade, great jazz. Maybe could hold 16 people. Bathroom was probably 10 sq ft.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
HomeTeam Pizza was the place with the Huger Huge pizza right?
95-97 when I was in dorms, used to order that late nights all the time and split it 3-4 ways
Home Team was good because you could just make up a coupon on the fly and they would accept it, as long as you didn't go too crazy. They'd always be the call after a late night drinking.

"Home Team, what can I get you?"
"I have a coupon for 2 large pizzas for $12...."
(Muffled) "hey man, I want bread sticks too"
"... and the coupon says we get bread sticks too."
"For $12?"
(Hiccup)"Yep, thass what it sezzz."
"Ok, that'll be delivered in 30 minutes."

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
One issue when George Battle died he didn't have a Will so family members fought over stuff. I think something with unpaid taxes too (not 100% sure). Texas Toast the size of skate board was the best. Everything was good there.

Reactions: LostinIowaCity

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Home Team was good because you could just make up a coupon on the fly and they would accept it, as long as you didn't go too crazy. They'd always be the call after a late night drinking.

"For $12?"

Whenever your friends are hungry and drunk. You figured what you wanted HomeTeam or Gumbys, what you had money, and then make up a coupon.

"I have a huger huge, pepperoni, pokeys, and have a coupon with $15." You mean a large? "Ya sure,whatever"

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
One issue when George Battle died he didn't have a Will so family members fought over stuff. I think something with unpaid taxes too (not 100% sure). Texas Toast the size of skate board was the best. Everything was good there.

Go to Jimmy's in Boone!! Jim was the manager in Nevada and George "promised" him the business, until the family got involved and ran it into the ground. Jimmy's has the same sauce, texas toast, lemonade.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021

"For $12?"
We lived of the Dominos 2 larges or 3 mediums for $10 and the 2 hot sandwich deal from Pizza Pit that were in those little coupon books they handed out at the start of the year. Somehow we always had plenty of the coupons all year long.

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
When I worked at Kingland I would visit the one on Welch about 2X a week because it was cheap (a sandwich, chips, and texas toast for about $12) and good for what it was.

Looking back, I miss it.