In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Anymore to the story of Mullets moving into West Town Pub? I’ve heard people saying it’s a done deal.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, their owner has been visible and actually worked over the years there.
This seems incredibly simplistic, and I know of restaurants where the owner was very involved and it didn't work, but if the concept makes sense for the market and the owner is working there full time, the odds of success are actually pretty good.

If a place is employee run from the get-go and isn't a major franchise, I give it 2 years max in nearly any market.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This seems incredibly simplistic, and I know of restaurants where the owner was very involved and it didn't work, but if the concept makes sense for the market and the owner is working there full time, the odds of success are actually pretty good.

If a place is employee run from the get-go and isn't a major franchise, I give it 2 years max in nearly any market.
Yep. When Battles was Battles, George was always there.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yep. When Battles was Battles, George was always there.
And after he died I don't remember seeing the relative (nephew? son?) who took over very much.

A couple of my buddies worked there, and it was clearly the inmates running the asylum. We got lots of free pulled pork and lemonade after FAC. It was fun when you were 21, but clearly not a remotely sustainable way to run a business.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
And after he died I don't remember seeing the relative (nephew? son?) who took over very much.

A couple of my buddies worked there, and it was clearly the inmates running the asylum. We got lots of free pulled pork and lemonade after FAC. It was fun when you were 21, but clearly not a remotely sustainable way to run a business.
I think that was Jimmy from Jimmys BBQ in Boone?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah if you think over the years there's been A LOT of places in that area.
It's unfortunate because a place like Cafe B has shown it can work if you are committed.
It's not just that you have to work harder to make that location work, it's that you're putting a ceiling on yourself, even if you are successful. Freddy's is a perfect example. Freddy's is fantastic. My kids love it. The value is great. But we only end up going there maybe once every 5-6 months, usually on the weekend. Because of its location, it sort of takes itself out of the running on a week night, when we missed our regular dinner time because of baseball practice, and just need something quick. It's just plain inconvenient and that's unfortunate.

• Agree
Reactions: ISULibrarian

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's not just that you have to work harder to make that location work, it's that you're putting a ceiling on yourself, even if you are successful. Freddy's is a perfect example. Freddy's is fantastic. My kids love it. The value is great. But we only end up going there maybe once every 5-6 months, usually on the weekend. Because of its location, it sort of takes itself out of the running on a week night, when we missed our regular dinner time because of baseball practice, and just need something quick. It's just plain inconvenient and that's unfortunate.
I thought when they did that Freddys there was even supposed to be another one in Ames.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
also played xmas music in September lol
The church I belong to has a carillon and plays bits of music a couple times a day, no noon or 6 whistle so the church kinda handles that job. The old one we had was like the old self playing pianos and had to have roles changed. The old guy who did that got ill and couldn't do it much. About 10 years ago Around the 4th of July a neighbor came in the church and asked if we could kill the Christmas music that was playing. We all understood that that was probably irritating, we bought a new digital one and programmed it so when it was 95 degrees, you weren't hearing silent night anymore.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think that was Jimmy from Jimmys BBQ in Boone?

Jimmy managed the one in Nevada, he was supposed to take over once George retired. We all know that didn't happen. Relatives came in and took over and well that was that. Jimmy took the sauce recipe and everything he learned from managing the one in Nevada and opened his current business in Boone. I think he would make a killing in Campustown if he opened one up.

• Informative
Reactions: landerson and JP4CY

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
Cocost. Get a lotta food for $5. Dude would be yelling into the microphone.
When they shut down after Kingland bought those buildings, I saw them moving out all the cooking equipment and I instantly questioned why I ever ate there. It was disgusting.

• Funny
Reactions: JP4CY

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
It's still there. Not sure how it stays open, frankly as I never see anyone in there. I don't frequent campustown during bar hours these days though.
It’s was still a popular a few years ago. It’s was like $12 for a chicken burrito and queso though. Couple dollars more expensive than Chipotle at the time

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Man, i hope this is true (screenshot for those who aren't in the group?). I thought it was just dead.
Super Dog>>>>>>> Gyro cart. I put Super Dog in the same category of the original Flying Burrito on the drunk food hierarchy. Since this is an in memoriam thread Flying Burrito has to be a case study on how to absolutely crater a successful business.

Reactions: tman24

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021

Generally, what era/years was this?