Does Anyone Else Just Not Really Watch the Games Anymore?

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
I'm similar to many who've already responded here.

I grew up on ISU basketball and cared deeply about it, much more than football. Never missed a game on TV. Attended every home game as a student plus several away games. After graduating and moving out of state, I watched every single game on TV, went to KC most years, and went to NCAA tourney games.

Things changed for me last year. I watched a few games to start the year, then stopped. I'm completely apathetic now after spending most of my life as a fanatic. I don't judge anyone either way but I've decided it's not worth it for me. Once we're semi competitive or have reason to be the tiniest bit optimistic again, I'll be back.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
It really is depressing to think about how far we've fallen. I used to center my day around a 7 o'clock tipoff against teams like Mississippi Valley State, and had the entire schedule memorized. I would never get anything done on game days due to excitement, no matter who we were playing. I remember leaving lectures early to go line up for games, even if it was against a terrible TCU team. I could rattle off random statistics about our players and spend some of my free time studying box scores and stat leaderboards.

Flash forward to right after we got humiliated on our home court by Iowa last season, that passion is just gone, and I truly miss it. There's times I don't even realize we have a game that day until I scroll across starting linup post on Twitter. With the whole ESPN+ package, if we are playing on there, I don't even bother watching, but will follow whatever commentary is on Twitter (another thing that is missing, which is sad). If we're on ESPN or ESPN2, I'll turn it on in the background, but it's sad how uninterested I am in our games. I don't care if we're back being Final 4 dark horses, I just want to watch Iowa State play exciting basketball and qualify for the NCAA tournament almost every year, at minimum, but it feels like that's too much to ask for right now...

• Sad
  • Agree
Reactions: STLISU and Peter

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I do feel bad for this group, they are going to go down as the baseline for all bad future ISU teams.

"Well, at least they aren't as bad as the '20 - '21 team" is something that is going to be said around ISU for a long, long time - as long as there isn't another two win season around the corner of course.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I've missed a couple this year due to timing of stuff but I've watched almost all. Sometimes more closely than others but I will continue to watch. I hope they can pull one out. Would be nice for all the players.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I've watched what totals up to probably just short of 1 half of basketball the entire season. The way I see it is that I already don't really have time to do fun things much anymore, so why would I bother with something that I already know I'm not going to enjoy? Even when we were really good under Prohm I still didn't enjoy his style of basketball that much so what's the point of watching bad basketball under a ****** style of play?

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
I mostly quit watching last year. I really don’t understand why some people keep dragging themselves through this.
This. I was a Cyclone Alley member during the McDermott era, and I stopped watching regularly last year when it was clear that Steve had no idea how to actually coach beyond recruiting. I was frustrated by the wasted end of 2018-2019 season, and last season crystallized that things wouldn't get better until he was gone.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Last year my wife and I stopped going to ISU games and started going to a couple of UNI games instead. It was like going back to the funCyclone days with good coaching and players working as a team.

Now UNI is not winning....perhaps we are the problem.

I think we will become Hawk fans.

Hd50014

Oct 16, 2006
ISU basketball used to be appoint tv for road games. I used to attend every home game (the 2019 loss to the TOE was my final home game). The only reason I might watch this year is to ***** about how bad we are now.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I've watched most of the games only because I love college basketball and this winter in Iowa has been abnormally cold/ snowy and with Covid I don't go anywhere.

Earlier in the season I watched just to see if there is any hope for the future with the freshman and Sophomores(Hint:there isn't). Now I mostly watch for amusement and it's kind of intriguing to see if they can actually win a game.

Reactions: CycloneErik

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I don't watch anymore at least the last dozen games or so - too frustrating and just puts me in a bad mood.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
Watched one pre-conference home loss debacle last year, one pre-conference home loss debacle this year, maybe 10 minutes of the EIU humiliation last year, and about 5 minutes of the at-Kansas thrashing this year. [Just b/c it was on ESPN and I stumbled onto it, and to marvel at the incompetence]

To be able to remember this explicitly what the little I have watched in two years speaks volumes.

Reactions: CyBobby

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I have the game on but don’t pay much attention. I’ve also have lost interest in all mens basketball this season because of our very disappointing season

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I don't believe I've watched a single complete game this year. Have caught bits and pieces of a few.

I feel like I spent all my sports emotional capital on football.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I haven't watched a game all year. I didn't watch much last year either. I typically plan my weeks around MBB in the winter. I just can't even begin to give a damn about the product we are putting out there.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I went from being all in, planning my TV viewing calendar around when ISU was playing basketball to now basically not caring and watching few, if any games. Before this year, I never would have shut off a game, on Saturday, I started watching and after the slow start and more of the same, I found something else to watch, and checked back in from time to time.

Seen enough of the **** show to realize its not going to change.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron