Does Anyone Else Just Not Really Watch the Games Anymore?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I grew up in Ames with a ISU professor as a father and the family had season tickets in the parquet. It's fair to say that I am more passionate about ISU basketball than any other team or sport around.

Last year when the pandemic changed everything it also changed my work schedule, and I was moved to a weekend shift where I get my 40+ hours Saturdays through Monday nights. Naturally this has made watching basketball on the weekends quite difficult, but even last season at this time I would often structure my weekend plans around being able to watch Cyclone basketball. I have my DVR set up to automatically record the games, but I also see no use in watching a game that I know we have lost, so I'll just erase those recordings. If a game is being played on a weekday night I'll at least start watching; I watched the whole TCU game a couple of weeks ago.

But as others have said, this team just makes me sad and frustrated. I was actually at home on the weekend of the Mississippi State game due to a positive Covid test (thankfully I was asymptomatic the whole time), and I had to turn if off within the first ten minutes.

If we get a new coach (which I expect we will), I think I might go ahead and pony up for an ESPN+ subscription. Naturally I always want us to win, but I'm okay watching competitive basketball if we lose. This year we just keep on getting blown out, so I can't even hope for the competitive factor.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I continue to watch some games as time and tv schedule allows. Painful support, can see so many issues. Hope they get resolved as Pollard see’s fit

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
My winter evening schedule used to revolve around the Hoiberg teams. I have incredible memories being in the student section back then as well. Haven’t watched a game since Halliburton got injured last year.

I’ve also kind of hated prohm since he turned into a cry baby when he got heckled during that one senior night speech. Dude is a stooge and I can’t wait to see him go.

Honestly, if your bigger issue is with how Prohm responded to that instead of that he got heckled in the first place, bad look for you IMO.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I’ve been watching basketball daily but I don’t always know when ISU is playing. Duke is interesting again. Iowa is fun to watch, even if I hate them. The big 12 has some really talented players. If you can move past ISU sucking it’s actually a fun year to be a fan of the sport.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I've had season tix for 12 years straight (and a few more interrupted before that).

I used to listen to Pete on the radio every time in the late 90s while doing dishes and washing bottles when my kids were little.

During the Mayors tenure, used to dvr every game and rewatch most home games, and every away game of course. All appointment viewing.

Last couple years... have given up. I went to abt half the home games laat year, wasting my season tix a lot. Ive watched probably 2 full games this year and parts of 2 or 3 others. I bought 3 games on my season tix. Skipped one, went to Tech lol, and will go saturday for TCU.

So yeah, from fanatical to apathetic. 90% will renew next year if we have a new coach. Maybe 20% if its prohm again. Why bother if he is back, same hopeless helpless crap.

Reactions: CyBobby

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I used to schedule things around ISU Games and would be way too invested...

Now I still have most of the games on but barely pay attention. If it wasn’t for gambling, I likely wouldn’t be watching at all.

I’ve watched more Iowa bball this year than ISU and I HATE Iowa athletics with a passion.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Reading this thread, the question becomes less 'should we fire him this year?' and more 'why didn't we fire him last year?'

Wish I knew that myself. Personally I was annoyed that he got the same lame duck year that Rhoads got, but it is what it is unfortunately.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I remember in middle school and high school during the McDermott days, even though we sucked, my Saturdays would revolve around what time Iowa State played.

I remember during Fred's days, my Saturday's would revolve around what time Iowa State played.

Now, I look at my phone and see the results of a game I didn't even know was going on.

That, my friends, is where this program is.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Cyclone forever. But unfortunately I can say this is the first year as the season unfolded that I just have lost interest. I signed up for espn+ and I start watching every game since its tied 0-0 and then just check back incase of a possible rally. Atleast I'm not mad anymore.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Reading this thread, the question becomes less 'should we fire him this year?' and more 'why didn't we fire him last year?'

And if the die hards on CF aren’t watching much or aren’t watching at all - imagine how many casual fans are...

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I’ve watched more Iowa bball this year than ISU and I HATE Iowa athletics with a passion.

I have a lot of Iowa fan friends who aren’t tavern hawk DBs so I don’t hate Iowa like most. I’ve watched quite a bit of their games and they are entertaining as hell. Reminds me of the Hoiball days...

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I still watch. My wife will join me occasionally but generally she comes into the room now and then to see what all the clapping and yelling is all about, and I get the-- "You need to calm down".
The last two years have been basically silent. My wife sees the lack of any excitement in the game and finally asked last week-- "Why do you watch? I can see it's no fun." Sensible question, and I can only respond-- "Because I'm a fan".
I just hope JP feels our pain.

Swirl on.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY