Does Anyone Else Just Not Really Watch the Games Anymore?

ThePUNisher96

Mar 14, 2019
I watched a little bit of our last game against Oklahoma when I saw that we had pulled it close and even had gone ahead for a bit ...and then was pretty much immediately reminded why I haven't watched an MBB game since December of 2020. It was the same old:

- Go down big initially
- Pull within 5 or maybe even take a less than 5 lead
- lose in a fiery storm of a bazillion turnovers and just overall mismanagement on Prohm's part

I used to be much more of a basketball fan than a football fan and used to watch or listen to every MBB game I could and now that's completely reversed. I'm at the point where I hope we lose out the season because I think that's the most realistic scenario in which Prohm would be canned which at this point is just the best thing for this program in the long-term (and trust me, before 2020-21 I would NEVER have been this apathetic that I'd unironically think losing out would be the thing that would save the program)

Last edited:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I haven’t watched a full game at all this year. I think it’s mostly because most of the games are on ESPN+, which I want to boycott in a way. But early in the season, it was clear the team wasn’t good, so I didn’t really plan my weekends around the games like I used too. If they were at least decent, I probably would have paid for espn+.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I have tried to watch, but the turnovers just drive me away. And the lack of effort on rebounds. I have never seen a team that just can't hold onto the ball, well not a college team. And when we shoot the ball, either the whole team or at least 4 guys just head the other way, there is no thought of going aggressively for an offensive rebound. Sometimes George hangs around and tries, but that's about it. Sometimes Young.

Rebounding in general, I watch other teams and they have guys leaping hard to the rim to grab the ball every time. We just stand there and if the ball happens to fall into our hands, then we get the rebound. I bet we lead the nation in most rebounds that hit the floor before the rebound is made. There are sometimes when one of our guys gets up for a rebound, but it is the exception, not the rule. When a little guy like Bolton leads your team in rebounding, something is wrong. It's just hard to watch.

ThePUNisher96

Mar 14, 2019
I have tried to watch, but the turnovers just drive me away. And the lack of effort on rebounds. I have never seen a team that just can't hold onto the ball, well not a college team. And when we shoot the ball, either the whole team or at least 4 guys just head the other way, there is no thought of going aggressively for an offensive rebound. Sometimes George hangs around and tries, but that's about it. Sometimes Young.

Rebounding in general, I watch other teams and they have guys leaping hard to the rim to grab the ball every time. We just stand there and if the ball happens to fall into our hands, then we get the rebound. I bet we lead the nation in most rebounds that hit the floor before the rebound is made. There are sometimes when one of our guys gets up for a rebound, but it is the exception, not the rule. When a little guy like Bolton leads your team in rebounding, something is wrong. It's just hard to watch.
The lack of rebounding is so annoying

The turnovers just make me sad because they make me miss the Monte Morris times when we just about never turned the ball over

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I haven’t watched a game since we got our asses handed to us by EIU in Hilton in December 2019. Not worth getting worked up.

Probably had more to do with my wife fighting breast cancer during the previous 9 months and at the same time I lost my sister from the same ****. Has a tendency to put things in perspective.

Lahey

Nov 2, 2015
My winter evening schedule used to revolve around the Hoiberg teams. I have incredible memories being in the student section back then as well. Haven’t watched a game since Halliburton got injured last year.

I’ve also kind of hated prohm since he turned into a cry baby when he got heckled during that one senior night speech. Dude is a stooge and I can’t wait to see him go.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I cancelled my live TV services last March when COVID hit. There was enough network TV football games to keep me happy. And I typically enjoy listening to Walters while I’m getting stuff done more than sitting on my ass for 4 hrs listening to people who don’t know jack about the Cyclones on TV.

Anyway, this team certainly didn’t make me want to re-up a TV service and I’ve totally lost track of when they play. I haven’t watched a single game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I watch when I can.

There's some bright spots, and some things that are straight up the overall product of general trends of the CSP era so no real surprises.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I watch as many games as I always have. I feel bad for the players going out and losing every nigh, but I still cheer for them.

I also watched the Cubs lose for 20 years before they were decent. We have also watched or been to almost every Royals game for the last 15 years and they have had 3 seasons above .500.

Some fans are just built different.

Cyclone for life.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I watched the first game this season and most recently the Oklahoma at home. Prior to last year, I didnt miss a game if I could watch it on TV, stream CyTV, in person or via the radio. I feel bad for the kids, but my whole family has lost interest in ISU MBB, including a daughter....graduated fall of 2019. We have terrific memories in KC when CSP won the BIG12, saw the team at the hotel...great family experience, however, it has been deteriorating since I'm very sad to say. How does a coach at this level not have 50 inbound plays with some to score off of near the basket? I'm no basketball guru, but CSP hasnt even had the simplest of plays trying to get the ball back in play....how many times have we seen a turn over on an in bounds play or a timeout during our run...too many. Time for a change.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePUNisher96

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Used to watch every minute of every game. I’ve probably watched a grand total of the equivalent of 3-4 games this year. The OSU game I didn’t even know was happing, stopped working, checked my phone and realized we had lost again, and went on with my evening.

It’s just not very enjoyable to watch your favorite team getting their asses kicked while making dumb mistake after dumb mistake every single game. So if I’m not enjoying watching...why watch?

Reactions: CyBobby

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I quit watching. Heck, half the time I don't even know what day we play and on top of that if I know the day, I have no idea what time tip off is on that day. I just do not care anymore.