Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My rural community is taking it pretty seriously. Things are shut down, have been for weeks, and I haven’t seen any significant gatherings of people in close spaces.

It’s been confirmed in nearby counties the whole time though, so I think that’s a big part of it.
That's good to hear. Unfortunately that's not the case for a lot of places. People are dumb.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Can someone give me a medical answer here? If the average incubation time is 5.3 days, with a 98% chance after 11.5 days, where are all of the new cases coming from? Not tests that were taken a week ago and published now, but the actual cases? Most things have been shut down for two weeks, and with the exception of the grocery store or fast food, how is this being spread that the peak is still "two weeks out"?

Are grocery stores and hyvee spreading it, is the incubation time longer than what doctors have thought, or something else? Is the peak is in two weeks that means the majority haven't even caught it yet.

things haven't really been shut down in many places. Many big companies still have people coming in to work - it's still spreading in nursing homes and hospitals, etc.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Last edited:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I’m hearing a few stories out of rural areas where people are symptomatic and going to their doctors/medical facilities looking for a test and have been told “go to Des Moines and get in line”.

One of my co-workers had symptoms last week but because she is in her upper 20s with no pre-existing conditions, she was told she couldn't get tested but to assume she has it. I wonder how many of those there are in Iowa. I sense a lot more than the 300 reported known cases we have in the state.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
We have quite a few more cases than a lot of states that have already ordered a shelter in place. Not sure the hold up.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Linn up to the top count in the state at 71. It was 40 yesterday I think.

Linn County, 9 adults (18-40 years), 8 middle-aged adults (41-60 years), 6 older adults (61-80 years), 6 elderly adults (81+)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
One of my co-workers had symptoms last week but because she is in her upper 20s with no pre-existing conditions, she was told she couldn't get tested but to assume she has it. I wonder how many of those there are in Iowa. I sense a lot more than the 300 reported known cases we have in the state.

Probably a good number. I know of at least one as well. Probably skews the stats making it look like younger people aren't getting this when young people are usually denied the test.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If you look at the spread of the virus data from other counters, we should be hitting the peak of the virus this week, but I wonder if the slow response and down playing of the severity of the virus by the WH, has not spread that timeline out longer.

By downplaying the severity of the virus here in the US, and waiting to ramp up stopping it, we might have just made it worse.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I’ve had a weird heavy chest feeling for several days. It’s likely just anxiety since we are living in crazy times but then you read about someone who tested positive and there is a person who tested positive with only a heavy chest feeling and you wonder.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If you look at the spread of the virus data from other counters, we should be hitting the peak of the virus this week, but I wonder if the slow response and down playing of the severity of the virus by the WH, has not spread that timeline out longer.

By downplaying the severity of the virus here in the US, and waiting to ramp up stopping it, we might have just made it worse.

Of course we made it worse.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Frankly, shelter in place isn't any more than what we've already done. I don't know why people are so hung up on the exact phrasing of what we call it.

There are employers that are still hesitant let employees work from home. A more explicit order might change that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There are employers that are still hesitant let employees work from home. A more explicit order might change that.

I saw something where a Kentucky mayor of some town put out a virtual message basically of 'Hey, dip****s, pay attention and stay home'.

Reactions: isutrevman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron