Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's a jab at the current health insurance system. People that don't have health insurance have died from Covid because they couldn't pay for treatment. I'm curious what health insurance covers for people that have extended ICU stays. Someone has to pay for it. The government doesn't pay for it.

https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/

There have been a few people with way more money than they need out there, that have been donating large sums of money towards causes.

I'd love for that to be a thing as these ICUs get filled up here over the next month. Can't count on it though.

Reactions: cycloneG

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’m hearing a few stories out of rural areas where people are symptomatic and going to their doctors/medical facilities looking for a test and have been told “go to Des Moines and get in line”.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There have been a few people with way more money than they need out there, that have been donating large sums of money towards causes.

I'd love for that to be a thing as these ICUs get filled up here over the next month. Can't count on it though.

Maybe one positive out of the social distancing and staying at home is that most people, who are gainfully employed, will realize that they have more money than they need.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
It's a jab at the current health insurance system. People that don't have health insurance have died from Covid because they couldn't pay for treatment. I'm curious what health insurance covers for people that have extended ICU stays. Someone has to pay for it. The government doesn't pay for it.

https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/

A new analysis from the Kaiser Family Foundation estimates that the average cost of COVID-19 treatment for someone with employer insurance—and without complications—would be about $9,763. Someone whose treatment has complications may see bills about double that: $20,292. (The researchers came up with those numbers by examining average costs of hospital admissions for people with pneumonia.)

I mean you do know that the costs from this pandemic, that place financial strains on an industry that basically self regulates, will be passed on, right?

People were losing everything from getting sick before, when the system wasn’t taxed beyond its means.

that’s just going to get exponentially worse.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I’m hearing a few stories out of rural areas where people are symptomatic and going to their doctors/medical facilities looking for a test and have been told “go to Des Moines and get in line”.

That’s a natural outcome when you limit access to healthcare.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
My company is saying because our industry is essential that all tasks we di are also essential. It's like saying because mcdonald's is essential that the guy designing happy meal toys must also be essential, too. So the attitude is "there's work to be done so do it."

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I mean you do know that the costs from this pandemic, that place financial strains on an industry that basically self regulates, will be passed on, right?

People were losing everything from getting sick before, when the system wasn’t taxed beyond its means.

that’s just going to get exponentially worse.

Correct. It's a broken system and it's being magnified currently. Will change come of this or are thousands of people going to be put into huge financial holes?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
If they test positive in Des Moines, does that count toward Polk County?
Or would it go back to county of residence?

I know it doesn't really matter, just curious.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If they test positive in Des Moines, does that count toward Polk County?
Or would it go back to county of residence?

I know it doesn't really matter, just curious.

I believe it must be where you came from? I can't imagine people are getting tested in some of the outlying counties that have confirmed cases.

Just a guess.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Just a guess, but I suspect people (college students AND families) returning from spring break trips are starting some of the new outbreaks in the region.
It is so incredibly selfish that so many people still went on spring break even when all agencies were strongly advising against it and I'm not talking just college students. I can't tell you how many families I know or are acquaintances with who went to Mexico. One family justified it that they were staying in an all-inclusive resort and would social distance the entire time. There's no way you social distanced in customs, at that gate for your flight, on the plane, on the shuttle to your hotel, at the hotel restaurant,..then take that times two for the return home. We could have hit the peak much sooner if we didn't have so many people mobile for spring break which was completely avoidable.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It is so incredibly selfish that so many people still went on spring break even when all agencies were strongly advising against it and I'm not talking just college students. I can't tell you how many families I know or are acquaintances with who went to Mexico. One family justified it that they were staying in an all-inclusive resort and would social distance the entire time. There's no way you social distanced in customs, at that gate for your flight, on the plane, on the shuttle to your hotel, at the hotel restaurant,..then take that times two for the return home. We could have hit the peak much sooner if we didn't have so many people mobile for spring break which was completely avoidable.

Honestly, I have a running list of people I know who did this and I will never look at them the same. Also, most of the people I know who went have substantial means. They could afford to cancel and reschedule. It's just unbelievably selfish.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe one positive out of the social distancing and staying at home is that most people, who are gainfully employed, will realize that they have more money than they need.

I'm hoping people realize all sorts of things about their lifestyles that aren't essential...smaller houses, less extensive vacations, how easy and practical it is to cook at home, if possible, save your money for if/when something like this happens.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Can someone give me a medical answer here? If the average incubation time is 5.3 days, with a 98% chance after 11.5 days, where are all of the new cases coming from? Not tests that were taken a week ago and published now, but the actual cases? Most things have been shut down for two weeks, and with the exception of the grocery store or fast food, how is this being spread that the peak is still "two weeks out"?

Are grocery stores and hyvee spreading it, is the incubation time longer than what doctors have thought, or something else? Is the peak is in two weeks that means the majority haven't even caught it yet.

It's hard to ask "where are these new cases coming from?" when nobody really ever had a handle on the old cases.

But when you consider all the people who aren't staying home at all, or the people who are staying home but aren't keeping their kids from seeing friends or aren't limiting visits from family, etc...there's still plenty of opportunity out there for it to spread.

Even the best-intentioned people end up in places with exposure.

[Edit: sorry that is not a medical answer, I didn't read close enough. But I also think the simplest explanation here is probably correct. Barring a complete and total shutdown there will always be spread.]

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
White House Coronavirus Coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx said rural communities in the US need to prepare for the spread "even though you think it's not there. If you wait for that, if the metros and rural areas don't take care now, by the time you see it, it has penetrated your community pretty significantly."

It really seems like she's talking to places like Iowa here.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
White House Coronavirus Coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx said rural communities in the US need to prepare for the spread "even though you think it's not there. If you wait for that, if the metros and rural areas don't take care now, by the time you see it, it has penetrated your community pretty significantly."

Her tune has changed a lot recently too. Even projecting the 100,000-200,000 deaths minimum.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

My rural community is taking it pretty seriously. Things are shut down, have been for weeks, and I haven’t seen any significant gatherings of people in close spaces.

It’s been confirmed in nearby counties the whole time though, so I think that’s a big part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron