Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don’t remember which poster said this, but they said the days are based on the Greenwich Mean Time worldwide. It’s midnight in Greenwich when it is 6pm in Iowa.
So it's not Greenwich, CT? I just thought it was a classier way to say Eastern Standard.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
They’re still not expecting to peak for 2 weeks.

Can someone give me a medical answer here? If the average incubation time is 5.3 days, with a 98% chance after 11.5 days, where are all of the new cases coming from? Not tests that were taken a week ago and published now, but the actual cases? Most things have been shut down for two weeks, and with the exception of the grocery store or fast food, how is this being spread that the peak is still "two weeks out"?

Are grocery stores and hyvee spreading it, is the incubation time longer than what doctors have thought, or something else? Is the peak is in two weeks that means the majority haven't even caught it yet.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Can someone give me a medical answer here? If the average incubation time is 5.3 days, with a 98% chance after 11.5 days, where are all of the new cases coming from? Not tests that were taken a week ago and published now, but the actual cases? Most things have been shut down for two weeks, and with the exception of the grocery store or fast food, how is this being spread that the peak is still "two weeks out"?

Are grocery stores and hyvee spreading it, is the incubation time longer than what doctors have thought, or something else? Is the peak is in two weeks that means the majority haven't even caught it yet.
Just a guess, but I suspect people (college students AND families) returning from spring break trips are starting some of the new outbreaks in the region.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

The easy answer is to imagine how much worse it would be by doing nothing. The more complicated answer involves the r naught (usually written as r⌀) which for SARS-CoV-2 is generally believed to be somewhere around 2.4 right now. This means that every person infected passes it on to an average of 2.4 people. Then those people 2.4 each pass it on to 2.4 people and so on. So even after restrictions are put in place, there are still people out there passing it on. For comparison, the Spanish flu of 1918 is believed to have had an r⌀ of +/- 1.8, the measles virus was around 12 (twelve, not 1.2) or 14 IIRC.

Reactions: Doc

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

That 2 week comment seemed to be in regards to peak deaths. It seems like for people who die they do so a week or more after symptoms appear. Add that to a nearly one week incubation period and I guess that would mean we are expecting those people are contracting the virus right about now. Agreed that still seems odd that we may be at peak contraction now when lots of things have already been closed for a couple weeks.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
this is satire, right?

It's a jab at the current health insurance system. People that don't have health insurance have died from Covid because they couldn't pay for treatment. I'm curious what health insurance covers for people that have extended ICU stays. Someone has to pay for it. The government doesn't pay for it.

https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/

A new analysis from the Kaiser Family Foundation estimates that the average cost of COVID-19 treatment for someone with employer insurance—and without complications—would be about $9,763. Someone whose treatment has complications may see bills about double that: $20,292. (The researchers came up with those numbers by examining average costs of hospital admissions for people with pneumonia.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.