I-35 / US 30 Flyover Progress

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I've been looking at buying a new house and Hickman is a MAJOR negative for anything over in Waukee/Clive/Urbandale etc. I had to commute from waukee about 10 years ago and hated everytime I had to drive on it. The new Grand Prairie interchange probably reduced that traffic some but ugh...do not want.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I've heard rumors of a project to cut Northview off of that intersection and making it a 4 way stop. Still, even then I think they'll need to add a stop light because surely it will still get very backed up.
Add a roundabout! :D

Is this a common intersection? This is North of Rochester, MN in a rural area with very little traffic. If I came upon this at night, not being familiar, I would freak. Specifically, when you cross over to the wrong side of the road.
Common, definitely not. And yes...first time freakout is what I did as well and I knew about it before I got to it. (Grand Prairie in Waukee)

There's one in Waukee at the new(ish) I-80 interchange. It's actually pretty straight forward to navigate.
They are...if you've seen them before. At night, first time, it gives you the heebee jeebies because it just feels wrong to be on that side of the road. That being said...after you've done it once or seen it, yes it is very easy to navigate, or even if there are cars in the interchange as well, but you can't discount the effect of unfamiliarity, especially when it's not busy. Whether it did or didn't affect, I don't know, but that's where the drunk got on the wrong way that killed those 2 police officers and the person they were transporting.

To be clear, I think they are a good design, we just have to understand there may be some growing pains as those unfamiliar with them navigate. (Which can be argued is less than what would have happened with older designs)

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I've been looking at buying a new house and Hickman is a MAJOR negative for anything over in Waukee/Clive/Urbandale etc. I had to commute from waukee about 10 years ago and hated everytime I had to drive on it. The new Grand Prairie interchange probably reduced that traffic some but ugh...do not want.

The problem with Grand Prairie is that interchange is a long ways south and the route to get there is really slow.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Really they should have put an interchange at Ashworth\88th. Some local ******** got in the way of that being planned though

That and Alice's rd needed to be 4 lanes about 10 years ago. Between the lack of infrastructure and the zero commercial presence. I honestly don't get hat the appeal is,

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I started watching that like...I wonder if he's going to run into a building...then almost shut it off before he ran into the building. I'm hesitating to laugh as that looked like it ended horribly for the person involved...

I tried to but I almost cried I was laughing so hard. Such is the life of a daredevil. The building looked unscathed!!

source.gif

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007

It probably helps a little but when a city issues 900 new housing permits in one year there are going to be traffic issues no matter how many new interchanges they build. Plus, any gains they may have now will the be completely negated when the area around that interchange is developed in the next 5 years.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011