I-35 / US 30 Flyover Progress

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Do do construction companies negotiate contracts that give bonuses for finishing ahead of schedule? I mean, not that these clowns would be getting one. But do good companies get them?
No, their bonus is usually being done early and hoping that helps get them the next job. Not much negotiating.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
No, their bonus is usually being done early and hoping that helps get them the next job. Not much negotiating.
Aren't there penalties built in for being late? I know a lot of contracts have that, and I thought I read somewhere that they are getting charged every day past deadline?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Do do construction companies negotiate contracts that give bonuses for finishing ahead of schedule? I mean, not that these clowns would be getting one. But do good companies get them?

Based on what others have said, the bonus of completing early will mean that they will get to move on to their next project sooner. If they are good throughout a year, they may be able to complete a couple more projects than they originally planned for the year, resulting in higher revenue and profit for the firm.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Some city contracts give incentives to get road construction projects done early. I don't know if the DOT does it though.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclone101

Clones123

May 5, 2016
Des Moines, IA
But a stop sign can be ignored, you can't ignore a roundabout.

I hate four-way stops. They are literally the worst because people are idiots. Give me a roundabout every time.
How the FIVE-way stop in Waukee hasn't been mentioned is beyond me. Its next to the high school and two middle schools, and has backups somewhere like 20 cars deep (not an exaggeration either). Can't stand it as I live so close to it that I pretty much have to use it to get to/from home.

Also, why is it that some small towns have too many stop signs, and some don't have any signs at all in the middle of neighborhoods? (Uncontrolled intersections)

Don't even get me started on the mess that is Ankeny. Can you tell I have road rage? ;)

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
How the FIVE-way stop in Waukee hasn't been mentioned is beyond me. Its next to the high school and two middle schools, and has backups somewhere like 20 cars deep (not an exaggeration either). Can't stand it as I live so close to it that I pretty much have to use it to get to/from home.

Also, why is it that some small towns have too many stop signs, and some don't have any signs at all in the middle of neighborhoods? (Uncontrolled intersections)

Don't even get me started on the mess that is Ankeny. Can you tell I have road rage? ;)

Ankeny's problem in chief is that the town is growing faster than the infrastructure can keep up with. And when they do build roads they don't plan for future growth.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
The ones in Johnston (62nd) are kinda used like stop signs. People in the inside lane usually stop and wait for the car opposite them to go straight, not turn.

Still better than Johnston putting those random "road narrowers" in residential neighbors. Let's just choke the road down 4 feet. That'll help things.

Johnston is a good city, but could use some traffic engineers.

Eh, I'm a big fan of the roundabouts. I live just north of the new high school so use them daily, and 90% of the time I don't stop once on the 3 by the high school. Same thing when I go past Walmart/Menards. Don't use 62nd much, but the times I have I've never stopped as much as I would with a stop sign or light.

And I've yet to see a single accident at one (not that there haven't been ANY). You honestly don't think any traffic engineers were consulted when putting all those in??

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
The DOT specs allow for Incentive/Disincentive pay for Early Completion. It's typically used for time sensitive projects.

The problem here is that it wan't written into the Specifications for this project. The DOT simply couldn't predict that the Contractor would be delayed this much in completing the project. They knew it was a complex project that would take a few years to complete, similar to the IA 141 flyover in Urbandale.

There are also ways that Contractors can "negotiate" more money for cost saving ideas called Value Engineering. They have to come up with a proposal stating that they want a certain amount of money, but they have to justify it by stating what the cost savings to the public will be.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Ankeny's problem in chief is that the town is growing faster than the infrastructure can keep up with. And when they do build roads they don't plan for future growth.
Can you imagine if Deleware was like Duff Ave in Ames with zero frontage roads? Yikes.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Eh, I'm a big fan of the roundabouts. I live just north of the new high school so use them daily, and 90% of the time I don't stop once on the 3 by the high school. Same thing when I go past Walmart/Menards. Don't use 62nd much, but the times I have I've never stopped as much as I would with a stop sign or light.

And I've yet to see a single accident at one (not that there haven't been ANY). You honestly don't think any traffic engineers were consulted when putting all those in??

I don't hate roundabouts. I don't think they're appropriate everywhere. And I really wish people knew how to drive in them.

My engineers comment was on those choke points on streets. I'm sure the engineers put those in to slow down traffic. But it's dangerous. Two full sized pickups really shouldn't go through at the same time. I don't like it when two regular sized cars meet.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Yep and this literally goes back to like the mid 90's. How they never learn their lesson is beyond me.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I work up there and the roundabouts are money! I don't know why more people don't embrace them.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Except for 36th West of State. I'd hate to be the one mowing that north ROW until it gets made into four lanes.

Reactions: mj4cy

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I don't hate roundabouts. I don't think they're appropriate everywhere. And I really wish people knew how to drive in them.

My engineers comment was on those choke points on streets. I'm sure the engineers put those in to slow down traffic. But it's dangerous. Two full sized pickups really shouldn't go through at the same time. I don't like it when two regular sized cars meet.

Gotcha - where are those choke points? I've seen a couple places in the neighborhoods west of Beaver Creek Elementary that narrow at crosswalks, but don't think I've noticed anything else like that?

• Optimistic
Reactions: imaclone2

Help Support Us

Become a patron