Iowa State Patrolman Allowed to Resign after incident

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No. Why should it be different for a government employee?

As a known Federal employee on this site, we're generally "discouraged" not to use personal email accounts on government computers (more like annually educated that it's against acceptable use policy). Not to mention, considering we use Federal websites for things like medical coverage, retirement accounts, etc, you don't exactly get to not use your government email for such things.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If that biker was black he'd probably be dead.

While there's no doubt that police encounters are far more deadly for black guys, it was impossible to tell the biker's race due to helmet. Not a factor here.

EDIT: Can someone point out what I'm missing here? How the hell could he tell it was a white guy riding the bike?

Last edited:

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
FOIA requests should absolutely be treated for maximum transparency. That doesn’t mean that everything should be released. Law enforcement agencies abuse their discretion but that doesn’t mean that every little thing should be released to the public.

84 grad

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
Agreed, they know how hard the job is prior to anything happening with conflict as well. That's what the training is for.

The problem most people don't realize is the first thing that gets cut from a law enforcement budget is training. We like to think that cops train a lot but in reality most only qualify with their handgun twice a year and do a couple days of annual classes like CPR. I know from experience of 27 years doing the work.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The problem most people don't realize is the first thing that gets cut from a law enforcement budget is training. We like to think that cops train a lot but in reality most only qualify with their handgun twice a year and do a couple days of annual classes like CPR. I know from experience of 27 years doing the work.

It seems to me that the problem isnt the amount of training time, but the kind of training they appear to be getting. That and a culture that discourages doing anything about those who do cross the line.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Dingus

May 23, 2013
If you think you need to draw a weapon on a citizen, what the hell are you doing approaching them in such a reckless manner?! You stay in a protected position and issue verbal commands. Police training/application of situational deescalation is atrociously poor as far as I can tell. That and the number of police that can't handle themselves with a drop of adrenaline in their bloodstream.
^^^This^^^ The officers actions pretty clearly tell you he saw the biker as absolutely no threat.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Because absolutes are stupid? So a state employee emails their healthcare provider or insurance company about a health condition and because they work for the government you deserve to read that email? There can be common sense solutions.

Jfc lol

84 grad

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
It seems to me that the problem isnt the amount of training time, but the kind of training they appear to be getting. That and a culture that discourages doing anything about those who do cross the line.

I'm not defending the action of the officer in the video. What I'm trying to explain is that when I first got into law enforcement we did a lot of hands on sinario based training. The last 5 to 10 years the training budget was so thin that we did class work only. That didn't allow for proper training in my opinion.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
You can train all them all you want, but an ******* will always be an *******. You let anyone get away with stuff like this, cop or anyone else, they will keep doing it until it gets worse and worse.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Gun drawn, not the extra shove. But that happens in almost every video that comes out. I guess there are a heck of a lot worse abuses. I would certainly dock his file but this wasn't that bad. Just ask yourself what would have happened if he had shot the guy? Not much else except we probably wouldn't have seen that video.

That policeman needs to be fired. He owes damages to the person for damage to motorcycle. Punitive damages also. The conduct of the officer was totally out of line. The manner in which he rushed and assaulted a non-threatening person with his gun drawn and then knocking over the bike as he tackled him. Guys like that prick are what give good policemen a bad name. Throw his ass in jail.

Durant needs to Fire the POS. He is a potential financial liability to his history or misconduct. Potential lawsuits.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
FOIA requests should absolutely be treated for maximum transparency. That doesn’t mean that everything should be released. Law enforcement agencies abuse their discretion but that doesn’t mean that every little thing should be released to the public.

And everything does not need to be released. Every governmental organization has every right to go through items in a FOIA request and redact items that are a personnel record or anything involving medical.b

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Because absolutes are stupid? So a state employee emails their healthcare provider or insurance company about a health condition and because they work for the government you deserve to read that email? There can be common sense solutions.

Common sense solution is yes, all of your communications are a matter of public record, so if you don't want it being available to others do not conduct private business on a government account.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So I'm as critical as anyone about how cops are way more likely to use lethal force on black men, but how did the cop have any clue to the guy's race here? He's wearing a helmet and gloves. There was no way for the cop to assess ethnicity.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
That may be the case but this guy was on the force for 30 years. He would have gotten all that training before the last 5-10 years and still chose to draw his weapon and bull rush somebody.

Maybe all his earlier training was to do exactly what he did? Maybe he relied on all his training that is outdated?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
So I'm as critical as anyone about how cops are way more likely to use lethal force on black men, but how did the cop have any clue to the guy's race here? He's wearing a helmet and gloves. There was no way for the cop to assess ethnicity.

There's actually a pretty solid shot in the video right before officer hero push/tackles the guy where you can see his face is directly in the lights. To me, he looks like a white guy.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
There's actually a pretty solid shot in the video right before officer hero push/tackles the guy where you can see his face is directly in the lights. To me, he looks like a white guy.

Relevant how in this case? Are you trying to make it racial now for some reason?

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron