Iowa State Patrolman Allowed to Resign after incident

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'll say what I always say about police. I get you have a hard job. I wouldn't want your job. But that doesn't exempt you from having to do your job properly, and shouldn't protect you from the possible ramifications of doing your job improperly.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Seems very excessive without a back story, but without context I don't know what to think.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I guess I'm not even concerned with the backstory. The kid on the bike was clearly in a non-aggressive position. He got off the bike and immediately put his hands up. Even if the suspicion would lead you to believe he could be a threat, I don't think you use force like that when someone has their hands up.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
what a tool bag. The bike rider has his hands up and you can see he doesn't have anything in his hands, but still runs in gun pulled and pushes him in the face over the bike.

I'd love to see that fat slob have the same thing done to him.

But it is funny when the fat slob falls over trying to get up.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yikes. Any backstory to what that person was being stopped for? Speeding?

If the Cedar County Sheriff is to be believed, this is not the first incident of excessive force or brutality used by the officer. Right now he is refusing to honor any arrests made by the Durant Police Department, where the arresting officer, Robert Smith, is employed. Smith is the only officer in the county with a Giglio file, which is only available to judges for review and contains details about complaints about alleged incidents of excessive force or other cop no-nos.

Smith is married to the Cedar County Supervisor, who claims that the Cedar County Sheriff is using her husband to get back at her for disagreements over other issues.

So you have a whole bunch of elements - cronyism, small town politics and pettiness, and a cop with a long history of abusing his authority. Should be a fascinating report tonight.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'll say what I always say about police. I get you have a hard job. I wouldn't want your job. But that doesn't exempt you from having to do your job properly, and shouldn't protect you from the possible ramifications of doing your job improperly.

I agree. We grant them extraordinary authority (the ability to use force, and even kill, if necessary), but in return we should require extraordinary responsibility for the use of that authority.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That is SOP. Not saying I agree with it but that is how they teach cops these days. I'd like to put a lot more emphasis on this system then the one cop unless he makes this a habit.

It's SOP to point a gun in someone's face and then bull rush them and then tackle them while they're standing still with their hands up after you pulled them over for speeding?

I don't claim to know their procedures, but that doesn't sound right.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
That is SOP. Not saying I agree with it but that is how they teach cops these days. I'd like to put a lot more emphasis on this system then the one cop unless he makes this a habit.

You're not going to get them to change the system if you don't penalize the transgressions caused by the training.