Friday OT - Over My Dead Body

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
'86-'87 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card. Brother gave it to me for Xmas when we were teenagers, I think he picked it up for a few bucks back then.

Reactions: Angie

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Intramural T-Shirt I won for a billiards tournament. My wife doesn't get why I keep it, but its my trophy damnit.

Every T-shirt I've ever bought from a concert, no matter how ratty they've gotten.

I also keep old IDs. I've got my High School ID, ISU Card, old government employee ID, and drivers license in my wallet right now. I used to have my old Illinois drivers license that was a paper laminated copy with a real photo (before the credit card styles came out) but it delaminated and fell apart years ago.

I have an intramural water-basketball champion t-shirt. It's probably the next sport added to the summer games.

• Funny
Reactions: 0u812

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Probably the oldest and weirdest.

I'm old enough to remember getting fruit for Christmas. Not that we thought it was a good idea or anything, but my parents' evidently got oranges and I'm sure for their parents it was a big thing.

So for some reason we each always got an orange for Christmas in our stocking. One Christmas I didn't eat it and it sat on my windowsill in my bedroom long enough to sort of dry out without rotting. I ended up throwing it in my toolbox and a few years later I took a magic marker and wrote on it, "1967" to remember what year I got it.

I'm pretty sure it's still in there.

(My toolbox was my secret hiding place. Having 5 brothers and sisters there was no privacy. My paternal grandfather, who did woodworking, made it for me. It had a hasp and I bought a very cheap padlock to keep MY personal and valuable things in. That was probably age 10 or so.)
Probably the oldest and weirdest.

I'm old enough to remember getting fruit for Christmas. Not that we thought it was a good idea or anything, but my parents' evidently got oranges and I'm sure for their parents it was a big thing.

So for some reason we each always got an orange for Christmas in our stocking. One Christmas I didn't eat it and it sat on my windowsill in my bedroom long enough to sort of dry out without rotting. I ended up throwing it in my toolbox and a few years later I took a magic marker and wrote on it, "1967" to remember what year I got it.

I'm pretty sure it's still in there.

(My toolbox was my secret hiding place. Having 5 brothers and sisters there was no privacy. My paternal grandfather, who did woodworking, made it for me. It had a hasp and I bought a very cheap padlock to keep MY personal and valuable things in. That was probably age 10 or so.)

My parents put oranges and walnuts in our stockings, and a bottle of Coke on top of the mantle above each stocking. I think maybe it goes with Depression era parents.

I have a little tin cup my mom always drank her tea from. Also have a problem with children's artwork.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
My parents put oranges and walnuts in our stockings, and a bottle of Coke on top of the mantle above each stocking. I think maybe it goes with Depression era parents.

I have a little tin cup my mom always drank her tea from. Also have a problem with children's artwork.
I actually have two drawings my oldest daughter did when she was 4 taped to the wall of my office. She is a lefty so one has her name written backwards. It's HANNAH but the Ns face the wrong way. She's now 26 and is the project coordinator for our company.

clip_image001.jpg

clip_image001.jpg

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Clothing-wise, nothing earth-shattering, but I have more stuff hangin' around than I realized.
  • Several Iowa State shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirts. One I wear only on “special occasions" — the classic:

iowa state shirt.jpg
  • My high school letter jacket. Still has my track-medals sewn onto the letter (devotedly by my mom). I like to look at the coat once in a while and think, “Yeah, you were hot ****, werntcha?”
  • H.S. basketball uniform (road version) I nabbed shortly after our school got updated outfits … it’s the vintage skin-tight jersey with shorty-short shorts. It still (somewhat) fits me.
  • A Grant Hill T-shirt I bought at a Pistons game ca. late-‘90s. Has action shot of him in those gawd-awful teal horsehead-logo uniforms. I’ve never worn it. Maybe it’s worth more than I paid for it.
I don’t have any notable band T-shirts at this point. I had dozens through the years, some I wore until they were ready to disintegrate.

Also have numerous collectibles and heirlooms, I’ll touch on some later.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
i have a sweatshirt that I got my junior year in high school. It is a ratty disaster, so I rarely wear it - but I can't ever make myself part with it.

When Jenny and I first got married, one time I got him a new wallet an we were cleaning out his old one. He had old library cards and the like from places he would never go again, but he felt like they belonged there.

What are your pieces of nostalgia with which you couldn't part? Clothes, belongings, furniture - a collection of toenail clippings. What have you got?

My grandma was a master quilter. She handmade each of the grandkids (14 of us) a quilt that we got for high school graduation. These things are incredibly well made. She's sold some at events in the past and gotten thousands of dollars for them. I obviously won't part with that and honestly it's hard to get myself to use it on a bed.

She also made a quilt for me that is now over 40 years old that I still have and use. It's just so damn comfortable. My cat took it over as his the past year and when I sadly put him down last week, I was holding him in that quilt. I won't part with that either.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Not too much actually. I had been keeping a lot of old ISU shirts and some stuff from high school but earlier this year we took almost all of it to Goodwill earlier this year. We don't have much storage and both of us have this belief that the garage is meant to be for your cars and some storage but not to the extent you can't get your vehicles in there (presuming they fit)....insert TWSS here.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Kind of off topic, and long, but it's a good story. The fruit in the Christmas stockings made me think of it.

My Dad used to hide cash money (dollar bills) in our presents. He got awfully creative about it, eventually we would carefully open each package, worried that we might be tearing a bill in the process.

We also had stockings, and would receive some fancy mixed nuts (still in the shells, of course) and fruit on Christmas mornings, maybe a candy bar or something like that. We always threw the nuts in a bowl my Mom had on the coffee table. (Who was interested in those anyway?)

So Christmas Day, in the afternoon, my aunt decided to crack open a few nuts. We were all watching TV at the time. She exclaims, "Oh, my goodness! What's this?" She had cracked open a walnut only to discover a quarter inside. (Dad had carefully cracked the nuts, cleaned out the nut meats, and put money inside, and then glued them back together.)

Needless to say, the three of us were frantically cracking open nuts as fast as we could. My Dad was sitting in his recliner laughing.....eventually we put the money in a pile and split it up 3 ways.

Side story - Dad had done a whole bag of English walnuts this way and sent them to his sister in California. He had wrapped them in paper and put on the tag "We think you're all nuts!" My aunt was pretty pissed off to think that all her brother would send her was bag of nuts. When Easter came, she was baking a cake and needed some walnuts, and remembered her gift. So she cracked them open and discovered about $200 inside.

My Dad was something else.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've kept the stickers from the 3 cars I've bought (the ones with the prices and features). It's kind of cool too see how much has changed since 2001 when I bought my first car.

I went through an old box of College stuff and couldn't part with old schedules or semester bills.

Reactions: 0u812

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
I am a bit of a pack rat so I have a few things I have held onto...

1. concert ticket stubs. Favorites include Pantera from 1993, and sold old Van Halen ones.
2. old concert tee shirts.
3. old isu gear....my favorite is from winning the last Big 8 mens bball tourney
4. old license plates
5. car parts
6. nuts and bolts lol....keep a bucket of standard and metric in the garage....very handy

Reactions: Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I keep almost all concert tickets and birthday/holiday cards from families. No idea why--I guess just a reminder that if it was a band I wanted to see, I went and saw it.

Somewhere in my apartment is a baseball cap from my T-ball days. There's absolutely nothing that I need it for obviously, but it just won't find it's way anywhere else.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I inherited the family dinner table I grew up with in the 80s. It's horribly tacky, busted up, & the wife hates it but I have it safely tucked away in storage.
I have my grandma's old dinner table in the basement storage area. wife hates it but I refuse to part with it. The top has our paint supplies on it. The pet carriers are underneath it.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron