Friday OT - Over My Dead Body

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
i have a sweatshirt that I got my junior year in high school. It is a ratty disaster, so I rarely wear it - but I can't ever make myself part with it.

When Jenny and I first got married, one time I got him a new wallet an we were cleaning out his old one. He had old library cards and the like from places he would never go again, but he felt like they belonged there.

What are your pieces of nostalgia with which you couldn't part? Clothes, belongings, furniture - a collection of toenail clippings. What have you got?

Reactions: cyclones500

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
i have a sweatshirt that I got my junior year in high school. It is a ratty disaster, so I rarely wear it - but I can't ever make myself part with it.

When Jenny and I first got married, one time I got him a new wallet an we were cleaning out his old one. He had old library cards and the like from places he would never go again, but he felt like they belonged there.

What are your pieces of nostalgia with which you couldn't part? Clothes, belongings, furniture - a collection of toenail clippings. What have you got?
You call Janny "Jenny"? I'm sure you've "got his number". but it probably isn't 867-5309. I threw that last in for @ImJustKCClone . :)

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Just to address clothing:

I have a very holey Iowa State Big XII champions tee shirt from 2000 I'll keep and occasionally wear.

Lots of vacation tees. One is from Catalina Island I went with a brother in 1983. We each got a shirt and after a while they both got pretty ratty. He eventually tossed his. I still have mine but boy is it is crappy condition. I wear it once in while just to hear him say, "You still have that?!?"

Lots of tees from various concerts dating back to ISU days in the 70's. I have a vintage Moody Blues and the Who tee shirts I bought at Hilton. XL in the 70's = Medium in the 2010's.

Edit: The Who concert was actually spring 1980.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812 and Angie

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I have an "Iowa: A place to row" shirt from 1993. Not sure why I kept it so long. Probably because the pun is hysterical. Also, it's vintage now and worth some coin.

Reactions: Angie

JerseyGirl

Jun 12, 2013
Central Iowa
I don't get nostalgic on clothes, but I do have a vintage collection of antique glass milk bottles from New Jersey dairies. They came with me to Iowa from NJ 17 years ago. Some might call them dust collectors, but they get ribboned for various seasons and holidays.

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Intramural T-Shirt I won for a billiards tournament. My wife doesn't get why I keep it, but its my trophy damnit.

Every T-shirt I've ever bought from a concert, no matter how ratty they've gotten.

I also keep old IDs. I've got my High School ID, ISU Card, old government employee ID, and drivers license in my wallet right now. I used to have my old Illinois drivers license that was a paper laminated copy with a real photo (before the credit card styles came out) but it delaminated and fell apart years ago.

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
i used to hold on to things like that...only things I have that I can't part with anymore are from deceased relatives...things that remind me of them...

wooden duck my grandmother got for me in Switzerland, father's dog tags, grandpa's old Seiko...stuff like that.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Probably the oldest and weirdest.

I'm old enough to remember getting fruit for Christmas. Not that we thought it was a good idea or anything, but my parents' evidently got oranges and I'm sure for their parents it was a big thing.

So for some reason we each always got an orange for Christmas in our stocking. One Christmas I didn't eat it and it sat on my windowsill in my bedroom long enough to sort of dry out without rotting. I ended up throwing it in my toolbox and a few years later I took a magic marker and wrote on it, "1967" to remember what year I got it.

I'm pretty sure it's still in there.

(My toolbox was my secret hiding place. Having 5 brothers and sisters there was no privacy. My paternal grandfather, who did woodworking, made it for me. It had a hasp and I bought a very cheap padlock to keep MY personal and valuable things in. That was probably age 10 or so.)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Too much old stuff to even list, cause old. :rolleyes:

With that said (since @Angie opened the portal to my childhood) a bunch of old toys of mine that are over 50 years old are going away in an estate auction tomorrow. Thought the auction was a good time to get rid of MY stuff in addition to the parents house full of stuff. Took pictures so I'll remember them, also some of the toys show up in old Christmas pictures. I still have too much stuff, many too much stuff.

Saying adios to these old friends and a slew of other cool old stuff:

marvin-numbered-list-278_orig.jpg

marvin-numbered-list-298_orig.jpg

marvin-numbered-list-308_orig.jpg

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Still have a Dale Earnhardt Sr. sweat shirt from 1990 when drove a Chevy Lumina.

Have a Ames High Back to Back Championship 53-0 record from 2009-2010 t-shirt. It just sits folded in the bottom of my drawer have never worn it. It is signed by the 2010 starters.

Reactions: Angie

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Still keep t-shirts from 15-20 years ago. Found one in the garbage the wife tried to throw out. I fixed that problem.

I have a long sleeve t-shirt from 6th grade flag football. It is now 20 years old and is the most comfortable thing ever.

I keep my ISU student card as once a year or so it works for something for my benefit.

I keep my N64 handy anytime I wanna fire up an old game I like.

I kept some old trophies/awards basically to show grandkids some day about how amazingly mediocre I was at life.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I've kept the intramural t-shirt I won from sand volleyball even though it's probably the ugliest design they ever put together.

Otherwise, I've kept the original transformers I played with as a kid, as well as this toy castle that my older siblings and I all played with:

images

Reactions: carvers4math

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I have an old weeder (gets weeds out of the yard) that was probably my grandfather's. The handle is pretty splintery and the tip has been ground down so often it's nearly gone. I've tried to find something like it at the stores and I just haven't been able to. My wife laughs at me when I get it out, but it works....

Clothing. Yes. I have this old T-shirt from 1995, when Brett Favre won the first of his 3 MVP awards. I save it to wear for very important games (playoffs, when needing a win desperately, etc) so I don't use up all the good luck that's still left in it.

But I'm NOT superstitious.

Really!!!!

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I'm a packrat, so I have lots of stuff. One thing my brothers and I have is a beer can collection -- probably in the 700 can range. Stashed in my parents attic. The newest can is pushing 40 years old.

Help Support Us

Become a patron