ISU students wearing Iowa gear

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
String them up I say!

Let the bodies of the traitors dangle from the Campanile!

Pelt their lifeless bodies with copies of the Bomb!

I am serious.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
IMO, it is slightly disrepectly to the school you are attending. Disrespect is what gets my blood pumping the most, there is a difference in being a fan and being an straight up dooch and this is over that line.....

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
DID ANYONE HEAR WHAT I HEARD??

They were blasting the Iowa fight song across (the ISU) campus today! I didn't walk past them, but if i had, i would have told them to shut that **** off! Good grief, that pisses me off. By the time my class was over they had packed up and left. Hopefully someone told them to GTFO

I'm not sure if anyone answered this yet but they were doing that for a children's charity. When they got enough money raised from students they would shut off the Iowa fight song. I think it is a very clever idea and if they're not doing the opposite in Iowa City they should be. Heck they got me to donate a few bucks and I'm pretty tight with money.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
So you're telling me you go to IA State, would support your 'college' at IA State and cheer IA State on '12 days of the year' but can't seem to find the connection to your school of choice (because of selected major) to go all in on your allegiance to the school you will receive your degree from....sure, that makes sense.

Seriously, my parents have had season tickets to the U of I for over 30 years and I grew up cheering black and gold and going to countless games (f.ball/b.ball/baseball/wrestling) & bowls but as soon as I became a Cyclone, I BECAME a Cyclone for life - that's what we call being true to your SCHOOL OF CHOICE! My parents consistently come to Tampa & FL for Hawkeye bowl games & I have yet to attend a game w/them as I am now a Cyclone through & through. I like to see U of I do well as I truly believe the publicity is good for the entire state but I DO NOT cheer for the Hawkeyes as I made the CHOICE to become a Cyclone for my education as well as the college experience and the athletic department is a part of that experience, period!

Apparently you have your mind made up but I personally see it as a slap in the face of your chosen school to not wholly support IA State as a student and subsequently an Alumni. The logic behind your unwavering love for all things Hawkeye baffle me (and apparently a number of other Cyclones who were previously Hawks) but I suppose in the end, if you can justify this bizarre split-support to yourself, that's all that matters.

Here's hoping at some point you will realize what a great education & experience you have had at IA State and throw your allegiance completely towards the Cyclones and if not, it's a shame as it is a sign of your inability to completely commit to whatever you might be a part of in all your endeavors.

Seneca Wallace!
The fact that you can change your allegiance at the drop of a hat shows you weren't that big of an Iowa fan to begin with. And that's fine. But there are others who just can't do that, myself included.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Your friend is an idiot. I hate Cyclone fans that make fun of iowa fans that didn't attend iowa. We need more fsans like you or we will never sustain long term success.

Ask that junior at ISU if he wears his hok gear during basketball season?

My guess is that he would respond, "No, but I wear my Iowa Wrestling stuff during wrestling season."

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
The fact that you can change your allegiance at the drop of a hat shows you weren't that big of an Iowa fan to begin with. And that's fine. But there are others who just can't do that, myself included.

I was a huge IA fan and actually nearly came to blows a few times w/IA State fans (who still remain great friends) over the rivalries. I chose to attend IA State for a number of reasons, none of which were athletics related but I remember going to my first game as a student when we got beat by Wyoming and from that point on it irked me we lost & I realized the importance of supporting my school and have since. I respect your choice to stick w/your allegiances, just blows my mind when people wear the rival schools gear on campus, especially during rivalry week.

Seneca Wallace!

Sandman

Oct 13, 2009
France
I grew up a Hawkeye fan. My older brother has been a student and diehard fan of Iowa for 8 years now, and my sister 6. When I was still in high school I followed Iowa and couldn't imagine rooting for Iowa State. My parents didn't go to college in the US, so I naturally latched onto the team I had the closest connection with. I was close to as big an Iowa fan as I am an ISU fan now. Iowa was everything - went to numerous games at Kinnick, memorized the roster, still have most of my Iowa shirts. We were one major Hawkeye family (and they still are).

Then I came here "for my major", have been a Cyclone and have never looked back. It's mind boggling to me that some people can't become a fan of their own school first (especially over the school's main rival). Whatever "emotional connection" I had from growing up an Iowa fan/attending games with my brother was immediately superseded by being the emotional connection I have of being an Iowa State student. The ironic part is I still know the Iowa team better than most of my Iowa-going friends.

Ah yes, we're very much bandwagon fans, changing allegiances with the minor drop of the hat of attending the other school. Please, set my priorities straight.

Reactions: skibumspe

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I grew up a Hawkeye fan. My older brother has been a student and diehard fan of Iowa for 8 years now, and my sister 6. When I was still in high school I followed Iowa and couldn't imagine rooting for Iowa State. My parents didn't go to college in the US, so I naturally latched onto the team I had the closest connection with. I was close to as big an Iowa fan as I am an ISU fan now. Iowa was everything - went to numerous games at Kinnick, memorized the roster, still have most of my Iowa shirts. We were one major Hawkeye family (and they still are).

Then I came here "for my major", have been a Cyclone and have never looked back. It's mind boggling to me that some people can't become a fan of their own school first (especially over the school's main rival). Whatever "emotional connection" I had from growing up an Iowa fan/attending games with my brother was immediately superseded by being the emotional connection I have of being an Iowa State student. The ironic part is I still know the Iowa team better than most of my Iowa-going friends.

Ah yes, we're very much bandwagon fans, changing allegiances with the minor drop of the hat of attending the other school. Please, set my priorities straight.

Right on.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
So you're telling me you go to IA State, would support your 'college' at IA State and cheer IA State on '12 days of the year' but can't seem to find the connection to your school of choice (because of selected major) to go all in on your allegiance to the school you will receive your degree from....sure, that makes sense.

Seriously, my parents have had season tickets to the U of I for over 30 years and I grew up cheering black and gold and going to countless games (f.ball/b.ball/baseball/wrestling) & bowls but as soon as I became a Cyclone, I BECAME a Cyclone for life - that's what we call being true to your SCHOOL OF CHOICE! My parents consistently come to Tampa & FL for Hawkeye bowl games & I have yet to attend a game w/them as I am now a Cyclone through & through. I like to see U of I do well as I truly believe the publicity is good for the entire state but I DO NOT cheer for the Hawkeyes as I made the CHOICE to become a Cyclone for my education as well as the college experience and the athletic department is a part of that experience, period!

Apparently you have your mind made up but I personally see it as a slap in the face of your chosen school to not wholly support IA State as a student and subsequently an Alumni. The logic behind your unwavering love for all things Hawkeye baffle me (and apparently a number of other Cyclones who were previously Hawks) but I suppose in the end, if you can justify this bizarre split-support to yourself, that's all that matters.

Here's hoping at some point you will realize what a great education & experience you have had at IA State and throw your allegiance completely towards the Cyclones and if not, it's a shame as it is a sign of your inability to completely commit to whatever you might be a part of in all your endeavors.

Seneca Wallace!

First off, I'm an Iowa student. I just don't get why this is such a big deal to some of you.

So if I didn't want to switch, I should go somewhere else to become an engineer or vet? Even though ISU is one of the very best schools in the country for both of those professions? That is the DEFINITION of letting athletics determine where I go to school.

Again, it's not like I'd be at ISU and ragging on them everyday, cheering against them everyday, like some of the people described in this thread. But I'd always feel a strong connection to the Hawks because of all the memories and experiences I've had rooting for them. I like Iowa State, but I'd never have as much passion for them as I do the Hawks. I wouldn't be able to switch at the drop of a hat.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
First off, I'm an Iowa student. I just don't get why this is such a big deal to some of you.

So if I didn't want to switch, I should go somewhere else to become an engineer or vet? Even though ISU is one of the very best schools in the country for both of those professions? That is the DEFINITION of letting athletics determine where I go to school.

Again, it's not like I'd be at ISU and ragging on them everyday, cheering against them everyday, like some of the people described in this thread. But I'd always feel a strong connection to the Hawks because of all the memories and experiences I've had rooting for them. I like Iowa State, but I'd never have as much passion for them as I do the Hawks. I wouldn't be able to switch at the drop of a hat.

No you could still come here, just dont wear the hawkeye ****.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
No you could still come here, just dont wear the hawkeye ****.

Well I wouldn't be able to contain myself on gameday though lol. But other than that I wouldn't feel any strong urge to wear it around campus (except for a winter cap. I'm not going to burn money buying some new stuff like that when the stuff I have is just fine).

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I grew up a hawk fan. 17 years. Passionate hawk fan at that, may God save my eternal soul....

Went to ISU, knowing nothing about the sports programs (Lafester Rhodes was it) with this idiotic idea that I could cheer for both and be somewhat neutral when the two played.

Didn't last long. I became an ISU fan since it was my school and I had a vested interest.

But I came to hate the hawks (which has somewhat mellowed with age), not out of school loyalty or rivalry - but as a direct result of their fans and attitude. Even though I may have been a hawk fan, the simple fact I went to ISU dismissed me as such somehow. You learn to hate them. Of course this was during the Fry/Walden years - when they were especially obnoxious.

If a kid wants to be a fan of both, I don't care. In fact, I get it. Family loyalties and such. But I can't understand openly cheering against the school you ATTEND. That makes no sense to me. Did these kids cheer for the cross town rival high school?

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
After years and years of cheering for one team through the good times and the bad, suffering the painful losses and celebrating the great wins, having a large group of friends and family who also cheer for that team and developing that emotional connection over the course of many seasons, you take one step on the campus of another school and all of that goes out the window and you all of a sudden care more about this team you know very little about and have never really cared for in the past. That's the drop of a hat. If you can do that, fine. I can't. I went to Iowa for an education. Nothing more. Athletics had no bearing on it whatsoever.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf

That right there ... in boldface, is the most disturbing part of this post. Don't you know that Iowa Ts are for cleaning up paint spills, wiping dog paws, molotov cocktails ...

Last edited:

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea

This is ridiculous, you're an Iowa student & Hawkeye super fan yet you're telling us why it's OK to wear rival gear on the ISU campus and how you understand someone attending one school & openly cheering for it's rival, when you clearly have no basis or experience to justify it.

I respect your insatiable passion for U of I, especially since you attend the school but we might just have to agree to disagree.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
This is ridiculous, you're an Iowa student & Hawkeye super fan yet you're telling us why it's OK to wear rival gear on the ISU campus and how you understand someone attending one school & openly cheering for it's rival, when you clearly have no basis or experience to justify it.

I respect your insatiable passion for U of I, especially since you attend the school but we might just have to agree to disagree.

I have no personal experience with this, but I also don't pitch a fit when someone wears a Michigan, MSU, Illinois shirt on the Iowa campus, because it's not a big deal. I don't expect them to make the Hawks their #1 team if they grew up supporting another school.

I also have several friends who attend ISU that are die-hard Hawk fans. They go to school there because it's what's best for their futures. But the athletics had nothing to do with their college choice, so the college choice shouldn't dictate who their favorite team is.

Sandman

Oct 13, 2009
France
After years and years of cheering for one team through the good times and the bad, suffering the painful losses and celebrating the great wins, having a large group of friends and family who also cheer for that team and developing that emotional connection over the course of many seasons, you take one step on the campus of another school and all of that goes out the window and you all of a sudden care more about this team you know very little about and have never really cared for in the past. That's the drop of a hat. If you can do that, fine. I can't. I went to Iowa for an education. Nothing more. Athletics had no bearing on it whatsoever.

I see where you are coming from, but you're really speaking in hyperbole. I lost none of my Iowa memories. They're still there. Still look back sometimes and enjoy them.

Who said anything about my Cyclone-ship being sudden? It was pretty gradual. I came here my freshman year intending to be the very object of frustration of this thread, a Hawkeye - Iowa Stater. It took me a few months to really switch over. It was time to make new memories with my friends with whom I shared this common bond. I also realized that much, if not most of my success in life will be as a result of this institution that gives me a degree. I don't know how you can't make a stronger connection with the school that gives you your degree.

I can see staying a fan of Iowa. I still watch all of their games. I'm just expressing my inability of understanding how an ISU student can be an Iowa fan first, and even go so far as to wear an Iowa shirt the day before game day. It's just taunting and it makes no sense to me.

Edit: this goes the other way too. I couldn't imagine going to Iowa and being a bigger ISU fan. Obviously you are someone like that, I'm just exclaiming that I don't understand it. I guess all it comes down to is that we think of things differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: WalkingCY

Sandman

Oct 13, 2009
France

That right there ... in boldface, is the most disturbing part of this post. Don't you know that Iowa Ts are for cleaning up paint spills, wiping dog paws, molotov cocktails ...

Haha, they are sitting in the corner of my closet at my parents' house, if that's any consolation. I just haven't thrown them out yet.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
I also have several friends who attend ISU that are die-hard Hawk fans. They go to school there because it's what's best for their futures. But the athletics had nothing to do with their college choice, so the college choice shouldn't dictate who their favorite team is.

Ding, ding ding!!!
You finally got it right.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron