SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I need an official list of what I cannot do. So far I have:

1. Root for, or wear clothes of another school if I go to ISU
2. Like Olive garden.
3. Drink beer that Al_4_State does not approve of.
4. Remenise about my younger years.
5. Ride my bike on the street/county road.

I know the sophisitcants on this board can help fill in the rest.

Thanks.

Find a post where I've called out someone for their choice of beer. You won't.

I drink crap beer on a regular basis, and have zero problem with others doing so. I just call it for what it is.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I still don't get how it's "a big middle finger to the university" to wear a tigerhawk from time to time. To the athletic department? Sure, I'd buy that. But last I checked, those fans are probably sporting a tigerhawk, and not the U of I logo.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Because in high school, odds are that you are either playing the games yourself, or you have quite a few friends that are. And a lot of the high school students who DON'T have friends on the athletic teams usually just don't care about sports, and are indifferent to the school spirt aspect. I wouldn't have cheered against my high school when they were playing our rival school because if I wasn't playing that sport, I had a lot of friends who were. And I wasn't about to cheer against my friends. But now, other than that the athletes are celebrities of sorts, every player is a complete stranger to me. There's no connection there other than that they go to the same school. But they aren't friends of mine.

So basically you're saying "because it's just different." Nice...

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
So basically you're saying "because it's just different." Nice...

No, if I were saying "because it's just different", I would have said that. It's different when there's NO personal connection to the team. Obviously I wouldn't root against my friend in high school. But when there's no personal connection like that at the D-1 level, there's not really anything tying me to the athletic department.

HawkSpeng17

May 26, 2010
Marshalltown
Like someone mentioned earlier, I go to ISU for academic reasons, not athletics. I'm a hawk fan yes, but it's not like I hate ISU or anything. I've grown up tailgating at Iowa and ISU both and I just like the hawks more. Ya I support ISU and everything but when Iowa-ISU play, i'm for sure going for the hawks and wearing the black and gold.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
No, if I were saying "because it's just different", I would have said that. It's different when there's NO personal connection to the team. Obviously I wouldn't root against my friend in high school. But when there's no personal connection like that at the D-1 level, there's not really anything tying me to the athletic department.

Except that it's the athletic department of the college you're attending, and paying a ton of money to attend. It's really not that much different.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Except that it's the athletic department of the college you're attending, and paying a ton of money to attend. It's really not that much different.

Yes, the athletic department that does NOTHING for me but provide entertainment. I get that from the Hawks too. If ISU can't do better than equal what I get from the Hawks, then there's no good reason to change.

I'd be paying a ton of money to get my EDUCATION. I'm not going to change my primary source of ENTERTAINMENT just because I go to a different school.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yes, the athletic department that does NOTHING for me but provide entertainment. I get that from the Hawks too. If ISU can't do better than equal what I get from the Hawks, then there's no good reason to change.

I'd be paying a ton of money to get my EDUCATION. I'm not going to change my primary source of ENTERTAINMENT just because I go to a different school.

I guess I don't see what's so difficult about supporting one's school. When you're part of a community and an institution by choice, why wouldn't you support it? I'm a Cyclone because I went to ISU. If I had gone to Iowa, I'd be a Hawkeye. If I had gone to a school that didn't feature D1 athletics, I'd probably root for both, with a lean to ISU when they played, just like I did growing up.

Of course, if ISU had Iowa's history, and vice versa, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because you'd see about as many Iowa fans at ISU as you see ISU fans at Iowa right now.

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I wore Hawkeye gear all the time at ISU. I never once had anyone say anything to me on campus and only had problems at the bars a couple times.

That's not because you're a hawk fan, it's because you're a d-bag. :biggrin:

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I need an official list of what I cannot do. So far I have:

1. Root for, or wear clothes of another school if I go to ISU
2. Like Olive garden.
3. Drink beer that Al_4_State does not approve of.
4. Remenise about my younger years.
5. Ride my bike on the street/county road.

I know the sophisitcants on this board can help fill in the rest.

Thanks.

6. Spell.

(Reminisce)

Sorry, couldn't help it :wideeyed:

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Not to mention all of your close friends at that school are cheering for that school...

To be honest, I'm not really friends with anyone who went to ISU but cheered for Iowa. Used to date a girl that did that, when we broke up it was the best thing that could have happened.:smile:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I guess I don't see what's so difficult about supporting one's school. When you're part of a community and an institution by choice, why wouldn't you support it? I'm a Cyclone because I went to ISU. If I had gone to Iowa, I'd be a Hawkeye. If I had gone to a school that didn't feature D1 athletics, I'd probably root for both, with a lean to ISU when they played, just like I did growing up.

Of course, if ISU had Iowa's history, and vice versa, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because you'd see about as many Iowa fans at ISU as you see ISU fans at Iowa right now.

Because athletics don't weigh into my college decision in the slightest. If they did, I would have some serious problems. If I graduated from the school of engineering at ISU, I would most certainly donate back to the school and support it that way. But I don't see the athletics as THAT important one way or the other. They didn't affect my college choice, therefore my college choice isn't going to affect which football team I root for. I don't see what the big deal about that is. Certainly doesn't make someone a d-bag. Obviously, if they went about rooting for the Hawks in a blatantly obnoxious manner, they're a d-bag. But just cheering for the Hawks in a respectable manner should be acceptable. I don't hear anyone throwing around insults at the students here who wear Michigan, MSU, Illinois shirts around here. Because it's not a big deal. I wouldn't change my favorite team just because I wanted to be a vet.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Because athletics don't weigh into my college decision in the slightest. If they did, I would have some serious problems. If I graduated from the school of engineering at ISU, I would most certainly donate back to the school and support it that way. But I don't see the athletics as THAT important one way or the other. They didn't affect my college choice, therefore my college choice isn't going to affect which football team I root for. I don't see what the big deal about that is. Certainly doesn't make someone a d-bag. Obviously, if they went about rooting for the Hawks in a blatantly obnoxious manner, they're a d-bag. But just cheering for the Hawks in a respectable manner should be acceptable. I don't hear anyone throwing around insults at the students here who wear Michigan, MSU, Illinois shirts around here. Because it's not a big deal. I wouldn't change my favorite team just because I wanted to be a vet.

I never said they should. I said you should cheer for your school. If you grew up rooting for the Hawks because they're better than ISU, you should change that allegiance if you go to ISU. If you grew up a Cyclone fan for god knows what reason, and go to Iowa, you should cheer for the Hawks.

That's my only point. I'm not suggesting that your choice of team decide where you go to school, I'm saying your choice of school should dictate team.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I never said they should. I said you should cheer for your school. If you grew up rooting for the Hawks because they're better than ISU, you should change that allegiance if you go to ISU. If you grew up a Cyclone fan for god knows what reason, and go to Iowa, you should cheer for the Hawks.

That's my only point. I'm not suggesting that your choice of team decide where you go to school, I'm saying your choice of school should dictate team.

If I don't feel that strong connection to a team, I'm not going to root for them over a team that I DO feel that connection for. I root for ISU, but I'd always have far more passion for the Hawks. There just wouldn't be any changing that. It's an emotion.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
It doesn't hurt Iowa at all. ISU certainly doesn't hurt them relative to whoever else they could schedule because Alabama or Florida is not coming to Kinnick anymore. If you want to make the argument that ISU plays them tougher than a national audience would think, then that is fine. But you could say the same about Northwestern, Michigan State, Indiana....etc. Nothwestern always plays Iowa tough. Hell Arkansas State played them tough recently. The reality is whoever Iowa might replace ISU with could beat them unless they schedule a FCS team. It is that way for everyone, every week you risk getting beat, it is called competition. It is stupid for the two schools not to play, they are right by each other for god sake.

That said, I don't enjoy this game much anymore and is my least favorite ISU game, not sure why, this is the first time since the late 80's I won't be attending this game.

dbqhawk

Dec 3, 2009
Walking around campus today I counted 7 people wearing Iowa clothing. 2 were completely decked out in it. It personally makes me want to puke when you support your alma mater's arch enemy, but I also understand you don't choose to attend a school based on athletics. I doubt this happens at all at EIU. I'm interested as to what others think about students who cheer for the hoks over the good guys....

When I am around the Iowa campus in this week, I not only see some students wearing ISU clotes but also see a few flags from the dorms

Red5

Mar 25, 2009
Durango, CO
Just wanted to add an experience I had today:

I facilitate a freshman seminar, and in the lecture today the professor tried to get the class awake by asking who would win on Saturday.

I heard several shouts of 'Iowa' and no cheers for Iowa State. Granted, it's an 8am class so there were half as many pulses as students in that room, but we should probably fail every one of them and try again next year.