ISU students wearing Iowa gear

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
ISU was only better than Iowa during parts of the 70's.

I bet your old man came of age as a fan during the Evaschevski years, right? The Hawks hit heights in the late 50's/early 60's that ISU never hit. Kudos to your old man for sticking out the bad years (which true fans do), but my guess is when he was young and impressionable, had ISU been playing in Rose Bowls, and Iowa not playing in any bowl, he probably wouldn't be a Hawk fan, along with many of his generation. It doesn't make them dbags or anything, it's just the reality of the situation.

For me, even from a young age, the idea of cheering for your school just made sense. My mom was an Iowa fan because she went to Iowa, and my dad was an ISU fan because he went to ISU. I cheered hard for both growing up, pulling for ISU when they played. I was always drawn more to Iowa State as a college and community, and that's why I went here. A couple weeks in at ISU, and I just felt no connection or reason to care about U of I athletics anymore, as I had no connection to the U of I, where ISU was my life, literally. I was part of that community, and that included the football team. I couldn't bring myself to even half heartedly support the arch-rival, and I couldn't (and still can't) wrap my head around folks who openly put down their own college in favor of the arch rival.

They aren't putting down their college by rooting for a different team. The athletics have little to do with the university. They can be more than proud of their education. That's not going to change just because they root for Iowa in football. There is a tremendous difference between putting down your university (this school sucks, I should have gone to Iowa) and rooting for the Hawks while being proud of the education that ISU gave you.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
you should lay off people wearing hawkeye clothing around ISU. I myself go to the University of Iowa, i have a awesome job in the surgical intensive care unit, have a great pre-med advisor, and UIHC is top notch in medical research, resources, education, etc. Something that Iowa State couldn't offer me as a student, maybe those kids picked ISU for a education, not for sports. I picked Iowa because it matched my academic interest, and i definitely have awesome resources and exposure to the medical field. When your at a school you should be there for academics first, and yes i will always be a cyclone fan, but i also take pride in my school, and i wear ISU clothing around campus to, just not during the ISU game week.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
They aren't putting down their college by rooting for a different team. The athletics have little to do with the university. They can be more than proud of their education. That's not going to change just because they root for Iowa in football. There is a tremendous difference between putting down your university (this school sucks, I should have gone to Iowa) and rooting for the Hawks while being proud of the education that ISU gave you.

IMO, it's the same thing. We're obviously going to have to agree to disagree.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
How many people at Valley High School walk around Dowling with Valley clothes on? That makes about as much sense as this does.

I'll be the first to admit...I was a big Iowa fan before I went to ISU. I actually planned to stay an Iowa fan while attending ISU. I went to one football game and said "screw this" and make a quick change.

I completely agree with Al about grad school, that is a whole different animal.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
How many people at Valley High School walk around Dowling with Valley clothes on? That makes about as much sense as this does.

I'll be the first to admit...I was a big Iowa fan before I went to ISU. I actually planned to stay an Iowa fan while attending ISU. I went to one football game and said "screw this" and make a quick change.

I completely agree with Al about grad school, that is a whole different animal.

Like I said earlier, it's different in high school. That's a FAR more personal environment. Valley has what, 2000 kids in the high school? And at Iowa/ISU you get about twice that many just in ONE CLASS. That's a big difference. In high school, you usually have friends playing in the game, and quite a few at that. I don't know a single D-1 college athlete on a personal level. I don't have any friends that are playing, and odds are neither to the majority of college students. They have no connection to the football team outside of titles.

Again, I root for ISU for all but one week of the season. It's not like I would have gotten season tickets so I could go and boo them every week (and I don't even boo them when they play Iowa). I'd have plenty of fun cheering for them without having them be my favorite team.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Walking around campus today I counted 7 people wearing Iowa clothing. 2 were completely decked out in it. It personally makes me want to puke when you support your alma mater's arch enemy, but I also understand you don't choose to attend a school based on athletics. I doubt this happens at all at EIU. I'm interested as to what others think about students who cheer for the hoks over the good guys....
Unfortunately, I was that guy when I first attended ISU. I was raised in the belly of the beast and raised a hok fan. Always had a soft spot for ISU but you just didn't get ISU coverage in eastern iowa. To make things worse, I even worked at Jack Trice and wore my hok hat every day. I would sit in the maint office and watch iowa on TV instead of standing on the sidelines and watching the likes of laise Bryant. It wasn't until Walden went 0-10-1 that I officially dumped the hoks and went full on with the Cyclones. Up until that point , though, I wore an old chicken hok hat everyday.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I wore Hawkeye gear all the time at ISU. I never once had anyone say anything to me on campus and only had problems at the bars a couple times.

bojicy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 15, 2010
Okoboji, IA
I went to school from 73 to 77. We didn't have this problem then as EIU was in the midst of enjoying 20 loosing seasons in a row!!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Considering the ISU AD is not self-sustaining, I'm not sure what your point is.

You better use that one up while you still can. It won't be the case for too much longer. Similar to every game being on TV, iowa fans like to make a big deal about it, but in the grand scheme of things, there will only be a small number of years that they can bring it up before ISU in on equal footing.

sandhawk20

Sep 16, 2008
Theres something to be said for school spirit. Beyond opinion here, I cannot imagine going to or watching a football game and cheering against the school I attend and will always have a connection to. Like I said, find somewhere else.

Love it or leave it! :smile:

doolittledog

Apr 22, 2007
You see ISU gear in Iowa City and you see Iowa gear in Ames. Nothing new here. And not really a big deal.

In 1987 I visited some of my ISU friends. We went to the tailgate and then headed back to their dorms and watched the Iowa game on TV. The dorms were packed with Iowa fans watching the game. In 2008 we took our kids to Boone to see Thomas the Tank Engine and saw Hawkeye flags and signs all over student apartments as we drove past ISU. I see similar scenes of Hawkeye and Cyclone gear when I visit UNI. Less so in Iowa City, but you do see it.

Other than hard core fans, nobody makes a big deal out of it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Two things about this topic.

1. ISU undergrad students cheering for Iowa are total douchers. Yes, it's a word. The definition of the word "doucher" is an ISU student that cheers for Iowa.

2. We never partied with douchers in college. I don't really care who you cheered for when you grew up. I was a hawkeye fan when I was a kid living in SE Iowa. I came to ISU and had no problems converting to the cardinal and gold! Be PROUD!

Ditto. I grew up bleeding black and gold. But the moment my ISU acceptance letter arrived in my parents' mailbox I was Cyclone through and through.

My other case in point - when you were in high school, would you cheer for your cross-town rival when they faced your high school in athletics. I doubt it. And I know what the next line from the Hawk fans is going to be, so tell me how cheering for the cross town rival of your high school is different from cheering for the cross state rival of your college... (and no, just saying "because it's just different" doesn't count as a legitimate reason)

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
You better use that one up while you still can. It won't be the case for too much longer. Similar to every game being on TV, iowa fans like to make a big deal about it, but in the grand scheme of things, there will only be a small number of years that they can bring it up before ISU in on equal footing.

I don't know if the poster you quoted is a Hawk fan or not, and I don't care. He wasn't taking a dig at ISU for not having a self-sufficient AD. He was resonding to a poster who asked me (in response to a statement along the lines of: what does the athletic department do to help ME in MY education?): What do you think funds your college?

The ISU AD isn't able to sustain ITSELF (stand-alone). So how in the world do they manage to fund the actual school? Big hint: they don't. And neither does any athletic department in the country, self-sufficient or not.

isu200023

Aug 19, 2008
I need an official list of what I cannot do. So far I have:

1. Root for, or wear clothes of another school if I go to ISU
2. Like Olive garden.
3. Drink beer that Al_4_State does not approve of.
4. Remenise about my younger years.
5. Ride my bike on the street/county road.

I know the sophisitcants on this board can help fill in the rest.

Thanks.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Ditto. I grew up bleeding black and gold. But the moment my ISU acceptance letter arrived in my parents' mailbox I was Cyclone through and through.

My other case in point - when you were in high school, would you cheer for your cross-town rival when they faced your high school in athletics. I doubt it. And I know what the next line from the Hawk fans is going to be, so tell me how cheering for the cross town rival of your high school is different from cheering for the cross state rival of your college... (and no, just saying "because it's just different" doesn't count as a legitimate reason)

Because in high school, odds are that you are either playing the games yourself, or you have quite a few friends that are. And a lot of the high school students who DON'T have friends on the athletic teams usually just don't care about sports, and are indifferent to the school spirt aspect. I wouldn't have cheered against my high school when they were playing our rival school because if I wasn't playing that sport, I had a lot of friends who were. And I wasn't about to cheer against my friends. But now, other than that the athletes are celebrities of sorts, every player is a complete stranger to me. There's no connection there other than that they go to the same school. But they aren't friends of mine.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think wearing hok gear on campus this week is total dbaggery...a big middle finger to the university as well as the FB team. Any other week, it's still pretty low, but not nearly as offensive. People who do it this week deserve to get tripped or book-slapped.

One thing's for sure, the hype machine really has them coming out of the woodwork this year. Their heads are so huge right now that it's just about time for a fall from grace. I see karma turning on them soon.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
total d-baggery is that sloth wearing the Stanzi jersey at our game last Thurs....Section 5, front row...openly cheering for NIU.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
DID ANYONE HEAR WHAT I HEARD??

They were blasting the Iowa fight song across (the ISU) campus today! I didn't walk past them, but if i had, i would have told them to shut that **** off! Good grief, that pisses me off. By the time my class was over they had packed up and left. Hopefully someone told them to GTFO