Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Speaking of ot.

Does anyone remember when we played Wyoming, and Mac won the coin toss and took the ball first?
That was one of my first games at the jack as a kid. Night game even, I believe. I remember watching that clusterf*ck with my old man cussing up a storm thinking I had a blast that day, why is he so mad. I COMPLETELY get it now. I remember that ball going through the uprights and we were standing at the top of our section on the concourse so we could get out of their faster.

Reactions: Rex O Herlihan

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
All this with only recent success.

What this confirms, particularly with a little longer period of success, is that ISU in the BIG against other large state schools or SEC has a similar valuation as other non-bluuebloods, and likely higher than most realize. The conference brand helps make the program value, as much as the individual program brand makes the conference brand. Southern Miss could quickly pull Miss St numbers if switching conferences.

Of course, networks are trying to segregate. They want to be able to increase the matchup of the teams that pull, so 4 million is the new low mark, and more of the matchups are getting those Ohio St-Oregon numbers.
If the networks are viewing 4 mil as some watermark, then the league should include Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida, OU, UT, A&M, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State and Wisconsin and USC. Everybody else in 4 mil games is typically just along for the ride.

Now there is a solid tier of teams that help them get there, such as Oregon, Nebraska, Oklahoma St., Iowa, ISU, Auburn, UNC, and a few others.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
That’s actually an interesting proposal.

does the team on defense at the end of regulation get a chance with the ball if the team on offense scores?

No, it'd be just like adding more minutes to the 4th quarter play clock -- field position, down/distance, everything is maintained. First time to score in extended period wins.

Like any other concept, a person could find flaws, but I think it's worth exploring.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
And to think that if OuT had kept their yaps shut for just 2-3 months more that the 12 team CFP would have been signed and the SEC (and ESPN) could look forward to 3-5 teams making the CFP EVERY YEAR! Now...it may take several years to get any sort of expanded CFP approved and it will certainly come with specific checks and balances against the SEC. That little news article that broke the OuT gambit to the SEC cost the SEC (and ESPN) billions of $'s. Yes...billions.
Hinduism / Buddhism has a word for that: Kharma !!!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The SEC will want atleast 3 teams in the mix. I don’t see a world where they only are allowed two.

What’s more, whoever is on that “committee” choosing the teams will be absolutely huge.
F-sec. Can we we just incorporate this now?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
No, it'd be just like adding more minutes to the 4th quarter play clock -- field position, down/distance, everything is maintained. First time to score in extended period wins.

Like any other concept, a person could find flaws, but I think it's worth exploring.
HaHa. OK you got me. You wanna repeat that?

JK, I get it. Gotta think a minute.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
My OT format comments earlier are within the framework of what are used, not my actual preference. I like simple extension of regulation, pick up where it ended after 4Q. I've blabbed about that in the past so I won't continue here. Anyone who understands the concept (whether pro, con or indifferent) knows the gist.
That’s actually an interesting proposal.

does the team on defense at the end of regulation get a chance with the ball if the team on offense scores?
Interesting as opposed to interdesting?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He chose end of field and Wyoming chose Defense then.

Essentially the same thing. My memory is a bit foggy of Jack Trice in the 90's- but I don't recall either end zone being extremely noisy. Students would have been on the east side. Heck I believe we basically had portable bleachers in both end zones with Jacobson suites on the north.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

That wouldn’t push the teams to win in the 4th. If you are at the 50, you would have no urgency to get into FG range. You would probably want it to go to OT so you can just finish it then if you have 2 minutes on the clock.

Reactions: cyclones500

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I prefer the current college and NFL to the straight sudden death. Now that football rules and approach to officiating, particularly in the NFL, is so skewed toward helping the offense it was almost always just a question of who won the coin toss.

• Agree
Reactions: StPaulCyclone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Disagree. If each week didn't matter in CFB like it does today, I would watch a lot less football each weekend. I am pretty much glued to the TV from 11a to 11p because games like Ohio State v Oregon, Georgia v Clemson, Notre Dame v FSU have playoff consequences in the current playoff structure.
I disagree with the idea that the regular season means less. The only games with less meaning in a 12 vs 4 team playoff is a case where you’ve got like a top 5 matchup where loser is out. With 12 that game becomes a seeding game rather than a win and in type game. With a 4 team playoff by the last couple of weeks only a tiny percentage of games have any CFP implications. Now in the last couple of weeks probably teams 3-20 are playing for a CFP spot.
A shift to 12 from 4 makes a handful of games go from do or die to a matter of seeding. So the stakes go down for that very small number of games. But in return there several-fold more games that have CFP implications.

• Agree
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I disagree with the idea that the regular season means less. The only games with less meaning in a 12 vs 4 team playoff is a case where you’ve got like a top 5 matchup where loser is out. With 12 that game becomes a seeding game rather than a win and in type game. With a 4 team playoff by the last couple of weeks only a tiny percentage of games have any CFP implications. Now in the last couple of weeks probably teams 3-20 are playing for a CFP spot.
A shift to 12 from 4 makes a handful of games go from do or die to a matter of seeding. So the stakes go down for that very small number of games. But in return there several-fold more games that have CFP implications.

I agree that more teams could have meaningful late season because there are more 2 or 3 loss teams that will be fighting for the final couple of playoff spots.

But over the entire 13 week season, fewer playoff teams means greater importance of going through the regular season with 0 or 1 loss. Heck, depending on how the rest of the season plays out- with a 4 team Playoff structure Ohio State could have cost themselves a playoff berth by losing to Oregon in week 2.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Was

Look at baseball. The addition of the second wild card means a bunch of teams in the NL are playing meaningful games still when, without it, the 4 playoff teams (and the 11 who are out) would already be close to set.

Expanded playoff will work like this on a larger scale. We are already seeing how 4 teams isn’t good enough and a bunch of teams have no chance.

Still an open question to me what that expansion looks like because as it gets bigger, more stakeholders get into it (devaluing it for the ones who would have made a smaller one anyway). Wouldn’t shock me a bit to see some leagues push for a 6- or 8-team playoff with slots reserved for the 4 highest ranked conference champions. Why make life easier for the B12/AAC/Mtn West when that makes life harder for you?

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
That wouldn’t push the teams to win in the 4th. If you are at the 50, you would have no urgency to get into FG range. You would probably want it to go to OT so you can just finish it then if you have 2 minutes on the clock.

Valid observation that falls within the "possible flaws" I noted. A sort of "we have all the time in the world." Maybe it makes urgency less relevant.

Perhaps I view it more as how teams will play safe in 4Q to play for overtime, since there's no difference w/ field position, momentum or anything that led to it .. then (in CFB format) you stop the game, flip a coin, get the shootout format and --- is that any better?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Was

Look at baseball. The addition of the second wild card means a bunch of teams in the NL are playing meaningful games still when, without it, the 4 playoff teams (and the 11 who are out) would already be close to set.

Expanded playoff will work like this on a larger scale. We are already seeing how 4 teams isn’t good enough and a bunch of teams have no chance.

Still an open question to me what that expansion looks like because as it gets bigger, more stakeholders get into it (devaluing it for the ones who would have made a smaller one anyway). Wouldn’t shock me a bit to see some leagues push for a 6- or 8-team playoff with slots reserved for the 4 highest ranked conference champions. Why make life easier for the B12/AAC/Mtn West when that makes life harder for you?

I am not a supporter of a 12 team Playoff in the next few years because over the last 5 years Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Ohio State probably beat the 8 to 12th ranked team by 21 points seven out of ten games they plays. Probably makes sense to bump up to 8 teams for something like 5 years and then expand to 12.

A big benefit of an expanded playoff is Bama, OSU, Georgia and Clemson can pretty much sell recruits they will get the opportunity to play for a national title and they aren't lying. Expand to 12 teams and now 15+ teams now can sell that dream to recruits.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Give me a 12 team playoff where every conference champ gets a bid plus 2 wild cards. Top 4 get byes and you give all teams a legitimate shot. Also makes conference championships that much more important.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I am not a supporter of a 12 team Playoff in the next few years because over the last 5 years Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Ohio State probably beat the 8 to 12th ranked team by 21 points seven out of ten games they plays. Probably makes sense to bump up to 8 teams for something like 5 years and then expand to 12.

A big benefit of an expanded playoff is Bama, OSU, Georgia and Clemson can pretty much sell recruits they will get the opportunity to play for a national title and they aren't lying. Expand to 12 teams and now 15+ teams now can sell that dream to recruits.

I agree on 8 teams. Still makes it tough to get in, 12 teams too many.

Reactions: Wally86

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
IMO the college OT rule was pretty contrived. Putting the ball at the 25 doesn't really mimic what happens during the 60 minutes of regulation. AND the new rule where teams have to go for 2 automatically in the 2nd OT is a joke. If I am the coach who's team gets the ball 2nd in the first OT, I think I go for 2 to win/lose.

I would prefer an OT closer to the NFL rules. But if CFB is determined to use the current structure- they should move the ball back to the 50 so teams at least need to make a couple first downs to get in FG range.

Regarding the CFB Playoff, they shouldn't jump to 12 automatically. IMO there is a pretty big difference today between the top 4 teams and teams 9-12. Seems to me bumping up to 8 teams would make sense. I agree that conference champs should get priority for being in the playoff. Structure the Playoff such that any conference champion ranked in the top 10 or 12 gets an automatic Playoff bid. Then give bids to the highest rated teams that were not conference champs.

As a side comment, if they do expand the Playoff to 12 teams, I see no reason CCG should continue for P4/5 schools.

new nfl rule is great. Old nfl where it was “all important count toss” was idiotic. Count tosses should be meaningless.

college ot is somewhere in between. College ot isn’t fair to dominant defenses imho starting teams out in scoring position instead of earning the way there.

Itjustdoesn'tmatter

Sep 9, 2021
I'll say it until I die....if you don't win your goddam conference in college football then you can't be national champion.

Also, the old NFL sudden death rules are the best OT and the rule change is garbage....and college OT is an abomination

Before the latest re-alignment started, I was of the opinion that on Championship Week, the two highest ranked teams not in a championship game should play. The winner of that game and the winner of the seven highest ranked championship games would be in an 8 team playoff.

Technically, that would have meant that 16 teams had a shot at the national title.

Now I don't even know if there WILL be seven conferences left!

• Useful
Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I believe A&M leaked it.
I've heard those rumors as well. If true, fairly ironic. A&M still gets arm twisted to vote OuT into the SEC, so now they are joined at the hip again. Then to make matters worse the conference they are in, the SEC, likely will not easily get 3, let alone 4 teams into a CFP. To top it all off the 12 team CFP idea is on hold for a time anyway.

If I was A&M I'd just be going, "They did it to us again", yet it is a bit their fault.

I love it. Sort of. If you can love these sorts of things.