Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If there were 4 leagues and each conference could have a playoff of 4-6 teams that wouldn't be so bad but it probably doesn't happen with CFB. Especially if we could do away with the abomination that is post season exhibition games known as bowl games.

On the other hand you are using a standard that no other sport uses, including the NFL. There isn't a relevant sport where teams that finish 2nd in a league don't have access to the playoffs and the sports championship.

What's not needed with an expanded playoff of 12 or more are CCG's. Just go to 16 or 24 and eliminate those games but the greed of the SEC & B1G will always fight that. Yes, lets have one more meaningless game so we can throw up the strawman argument expanded playoffs are too many games for these kids.

Its one of hte reasons the NFL is a much better product. You don't have engineered outcomes, politicking, etc. Instead you have a true playoff where the rules are set before the season and everyone plays their way in and there are not different sets of rules for different teams.

A standard that no other sport uses is a selling point. The regular season means everything. It's all on the line every week.

Marketing. The NFL is watering down the product more and more. So is baseball. NBA and NHL might as well not even play a regular season.

Make college special again....or....water the **** out of it, make it like everything else and cash the checks. Kill that ******* golden goose before the door hits us on the ass while we're at it.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
A standard that no other sport uses is a selling point. The regular season means everything. It's all on the line every week.

Marketing. The NFL is watering down the product more and more. So is baseball. NBA and NHL might as well not even play a regular season.

Make college special again....or....water the **** out of it, make it like everything else and cash the checks. Kill that ******* golden goose before the door hits us on the ass while we're at it.

No, its not a selling point. The NFL still kicks CFB in regular season games also. You want to say it matters, its the opposite. If your not Alabama, OSU, OU, UT, and a handful of other bluebloods once you lose your season is over. Maybe if your not a blue blood but a member of the all powerful SEC & B1G you may sneak in also.

Its a matter of simple math. If we are only filling 4 spots less games can matter. If your filling 12 or more, more regular season games are relevant for playoffs.

The idea it devalues the regular season was a lie blueblood schools that have the inherent built in advantage tell everyone else so in seasons they are good they have an easier path to "claim" a national championship. Not to mention the networks love to parrot the same thing so they can have their engineered mathcups. What's the consolation prize to those who get in line with this? A POSTSEASON EXHIBITION GAME!! WHAT A TREAT!!! Playing one last game many times well after the season as much as 4 weeks after the last game, when teams are absolutely playing at their best! The whole ending to CFB leaves a lot to be desired.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
And to think that if OuT had kept their yaps shut for just 2-3 months more that the 12 team CFP would have been signed and the SEC (and ESPN) could look forward to 3-5 teams making the CFP EVERY YEAR! Now...it may take several years to get any sort of expanded CFP approved and it will certainly come with specific checks and balances against the SEC. That little news article that broke the OuT gambit to the SEC cost the SEC (and ESPN) billions of $'s. Yes...billions.
I believe A&M leaked it.

• Agree
Reactions: Itjustdoesn'tmatter

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
No, its not a selling point. The NFL still kicks CFB in regular season games also. You want to say it matters, its the opposite. If your not Alabama, OSU, OU, UT, and a handful of other bluebloods once you lose your season is over. Maybe if your not a blue blood but a member of the all powerful SEC & B1G you may sneak in also.

Its a matter of simple math. If we are only filling 4 spots less games can matter. If your filling 12 or more, more regular season games are relevant for playoffs.

The idea it devalues the regular season was a lie blueblood schools that have the inherent built in advantage tell everyone else so in seasons they are good they have an easier path to "claim" a national championship. Not to mention the networks love to parrot the same thing so they can have their engineered mathcups. What's the consolation prize to those who get in line with this? A POSTSEASON EXHIBITION GAME!! WHAT A TREAT!!! Playing one last game many times well after the season as much as 4 weeks after the last game, when teams are absolutely playing at their best! The whole ending to CFB leaves a lot to be desired.

Totally disagree. The lie is telling fans a team can be 3rd in the SEC and still better than all other NCAA teams and the lower half of the NFL.

Packing the playoff with blue bloods for the TV show. Not the actual competition.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I'll say it until I die....if you don't win your goddam conference in college football then you can't be national champion.

Also, the old NFL sudden death rules are the best OT and the rule change is garbage....and college OT is an abomination

I agree with this, except the old NFL sudden death had 1 flaw, if the first team to get the ball in overtime scored it was over, not giving the other team a chance to match. I always thought that gave the win to the coin flip.

So my feeling is it is perfect as long as both teams possess the ball once. If the first team gets the ball and scores then the other teams gets to at least possess the ball and match, if they do the OT continues. I believe this is more in line to what is the current NFL rules, but not exact.

Either that or you play 1 OT time period whether it be a shortened quarter length or not. Then the winner is who is ahead after that. If still tied you go to the College version. This at least allows for the game to be played and won in a traditional fashion, through the first OT.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I just feel if that's the way you feel better to just hold it in. You may be right to a certain degree. Ultimately I don't think so, atleast I hope not.

None of this is easy. I want to remain positive and believe ISU will come out of this just fine. For now I see new life pumped into the Big 12. I see us never having to deal with the Te$as prima donna again nor the OU traitor who I have lost all respect for.

I still have hope that college football will ultimately survive. This is still to be determined but I'm not going to dwell on the negative just yet.
Fair enough. I hope you are right. I suppose the key will be for the new Big 12 to consistently have ranked teams, and in particular, at least 1 top 10 team on a regular basis. If we can do that, we will return to P5 status.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: t-noah

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Either that or you play 1 OT time period whether it be a shortened quarter length or not.

I thought NFL should go to something a like a 7-minute OT, play the whole period (or maybe until one team is ahead by more than 8 points, i.e., two-score game). In regular season, one extra mini-quarter, then it's a tie. Playoffs could be a customized version of that .... or:

I don't even mind that much with the old system, for regular-season games only, tie game is like a coin-flip after regulation anyway, one more chance for someone to break the tie on the field.

Reactions: 2speedy1

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
ABC games usually outdraw ESPN games in the same timeslot.

True, but not really the point. The SEC added Texas & OU to corner the market on TV ratings. The reality is they could have just added ISU and put us in the prime TV slots of 2:30p or 7p every week.;)

The fact that ISU & Iowa outdrew Texas & Arkansas tells me there are just a handful of elite teams that automatically generate national fan interest. AND Texas currently isn't one of them.

There isn't a big difference in the number of homes having ABC vs. ESPN in the US and last time I checked- it ain't hard to change the channel.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'll say it until I die....if you don't win your goddam conference in college football then you can't be national champion.

Also, the old NFL sudden death rules are the best OT and the rule change is garbage....and college OT is an abomination

IMO the college OT rule was pretty contrived. Putting the ball at the 25 doesn't really mimic what happens during the 60 minutes of regulation. AND the new rule where teams have to go for 2 automatically in the 2nd OT is a joke. If I am the coach who's team gets the ball 2nd in the first OT, I think I go for 2 to win/lose.

I would prefer an OT closer to the NFL rules. But if CFB is determined to use the current structure- they should move the ball back to the 50 so teams at least need to make a couple first downs to get in FG range.

Regarding the CFB Playoff, they shouldn't jump to 12 automatically. IMO there is a pretty big difference today between the top 4 teams and teams 9-12. Seems to me bumping up to 8 teams would make sense. I agree that conference champs should get priority for being in the playoff. Structure the Playoff such that any conference champion ranked in the top 10 or 12 gets an automatic Playoff bid. Then give bids to the highest rated teams that were not conference champs.

As a side comment, if they do expand the Playoff to 12 teams, I see no reason CCG should continue for P4/5 schools.

Reactions: KnappShack

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Disagree. If each week didn't matter in CFB like it does today, I would watch a lot less football each weekend. I am pretty much glued to the TV from 11a to 11p because games like Ohio State v Oregon, Georgia v Clemson, Notre Dame v FSU have playoff consequences in the current playoff structure.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
IMO the college OT rule was pretty contrived. Putting the ball at the 25 doesn't really mimic what happens during the 60 minutes of regulation. AND the new rule where teams have to go for 2 automatically in the 2nd OT is a joke. If I am the coach who's team gets the ball 2nd in the first OT, I think I go for 2 to win/lose.

I would prefer an OT closer to the NFL rules. But if CFB is determined to use the current structure- they should move the ball back to the 50 so teams at least need to make a couple first downs to get in FG range.

Regarding the CFB Playoff, they shouldn't jump to 12 automatically. IMO there is a pretty big difference today between the top 4 teams and teams 9-12. Seems to me bumping up to 8 teams would make sense. I agree that conference champs should get priority for being in the playoff. Structure the Playoff such that any conference champion ranked in the top 10 or 12 gets an automatic Playoff bid. Then give bids to the highest rated teams that were not conference champs.

As a side comment, if they do expand the Playoff to 12 teams, I see no reason CCG should continue for P4/5 schools.

Speaking of ot.

Does anyone remember when we played Wyoming, and Mac won the coin toss and took the ball first?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My OT format comments earlier are within the framework of what are used, not my actual preference. I like simple extension of regulation, pick up where it ended after 4Q. I've blabbed about that in the past so I won't continue here. Anyone who understands the concept (whether pro, con or indifferent) knows the gist.

Reactions: Cyclones1969

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There's a lot to consider in the viewership numbers of this game. First and foremost, this match-up did not include a "Blueblood" program. Here's a list of games since the 2017 season that involved Iowa or Iowa State and did not include any of Michigan, Penn St, Ohio St, Oklahoma, or Texas:

DateTimeNetworkTeam1Team2Viewers
11/16/20194:00 PMFOXMinnesotaIowa4,410,000
9/11/20214:30 PMABCIowaIowa State3,890,000
11/11/20174:00 PMABCIowaWisconsin3,780,000
11/23/201812:00 PMFOXNebraskaIowa3,664,000
9/22/20188:30 PMFOXWisconsinIowa3,313,000
11/11/201712:00 PMABCOklahoma StateIowa State2,995,000
10/28/20173:30 PMABCTCUIowa State2,850,000
10/24/20203:30 PMFOXIowa StateOklahoma State2,810,000
11/27/20201:00 PMFOXNebraskaIowa2,690,000
11/10/20183:30 PMFOXNorthwesternIowa2,636,000
9/30/20174:30 PMFOXIowaMichigan State2,520,000
11/9/20194:00 PMFOXIowaWisconsin2,320,000
9/8/20185:00 PMFOXIowa StateIowa2,017,000

Only one game drew a bigger audience in the last 4+ seasons.

If history were a guide, one would expect this type of game to draw around mid- to upper 2 millions, but instead, it drew just under 4 million.

This was a good showing, considering the teams involved (or, in this example, not involved).
Also just outside that I think last year's Farmageddon was like 1.98 million.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
My OT format comments earlier are within the framework of what are used, not my actual preference. I like simple extension of regulation, pick up where it ended after 4Q. I've blabbed about that in the past so I won't continue here. Anyone who understands the concept (whether pro, con or indifferent) knows the gist.

That’s actually an interesting proposal.

does the team on defense at the end of regulation get a chance with the ball if the team on offense scores?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron