The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

The Far Cyde

Sep 15, 2019
No they are not semantics because they are completely different things. Iowa State from a television market to the BIG is awful. Iowa State to the BIG is decent from a viewership standpoint and one of the better actual possibilities. The ACC schools are not an option for them. The SEC schools aren’t an option for them. Maybe in a perfect scenario they could pull a PAC 12 team but I don’t buy that.
ACC is not an option for them today. They don’t need to add an ACC team today.

They don’t have to add anyone.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The idea is to maximize revenue, not be the first to get to 16. We aren’t heading to four power conferences. We’re heading to one super conference.
That is what I still think is more likely is a new league that is all on the same page. If the BIG just sticks at 14 while everyone else moves up to 16 they are going to be finding their schools looking to leave. Inaction will lead to failure.

The Far Cyde

Sep 15, 2019
KU and ISU have equal chances of going to the Big 10 in my opinion…not very good. They are in no better spot than us from an outside view. Of course there could be a lot of handshakes that we have no idea about.
Well they actually are in a better position, because they are a top 5 Bball program and have the KC MEDIA! (not TV!) market.

Reactions: ruflosn

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Obviously the B1G would be the very best option for ISU.... in fact it would be a gigantic step up from where we are even now. So that is the dream scenario right now, not even a question.

The next best option IMO, is to join the PAC 12. I know there are people out there that poo poo that idea, but the money isn't much of a drop from where we are now, and the schools/teams would be WAY, WAY better than anything the Big 12 could throw together. I don't know about any of you, but I'd be thrilled to see USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA, and even Colorado playing in Jack Trice Stadium. That would be sweet.

And I surely wouldn't mind taking a road trip to Boulder now and then. And we'd still have several of the same Big 12 teams we've been playing against forever too. I don't see how the PAC is so terrible if we don't land in the B1G? It surely beats a revamped Big 12 with Cincy, Houston, etc.... which don't do anything for me. I'd rather play USC and Oregon in the Jack than Cincy or Houston.

I think its a lot more likely we consolidate with left over PAC schools that are not poached by the B1G. If the B1G has lost UT & OU I really think the B1G is going to try and get the 4-6 best brands out west and build upon the old Rose Bowl rivalries. This also gives them the best shot at ND at some point, it may.

USC & Oregon have been vocal about not being happy with the PAC and its situation. I know UT & OU make more but if those two couldn't make enough in the Big 12, the current PAC 12 will not invite 4 teams that don't help their revenue. That doesn't even address the snobbery aspect of the PAC 12 schools. The only way that happens is ESPN directed them to so that they can move OU & UT in 2023 but FOX has half the content and why would FOX want to move those 4 Big 12 teams when they wouldn't renegotiate the Big 12 with UT & OU?

So I think its more likely the Big 12 and PAC 12 left overs form a league together. I'm not sure how much better adding ASU, AZ & Utah is than BYU, Cincy & UH. Hopefully, the league gets at least one decent contract going forward. Does the B1G use Colorado as a bridge to 5 teams out west or is Colorado left behind also?

Reactions: State2015

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Some very good points to ponder in this thread. I wish most of us could give opinion without discounting others' ideas. None of us know what is going on behind closed doors as much as you think you do. MOST people thought/think it's inevitable that CMC was gone after the first year of success like Herby thought. Some things don't make sense.

What we should all be able to agree on is that the SEC is making the move that makes the most sense to making money... FOR NOW. It seems that they have an idea of breaking away from NCAA now that the paying athletes thing is not under the table. Might as well add the two largest money-makers. That would put the SEC at 16. But are they working on booting Missouri, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, South Carolina, etc and replacing with Michigan, OSU, PSU, Clemson, Notre Dame, etc. Who knows.

It just feels at the end of the day we are seeing the end of college football as we loved it. Personally I just want to get to the end so I can move on with life. Let the greed play out and I feel will kill the golden goose as another poster said earlier.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I don't think it's a coincidence that Nick Saban was flaunting his million dollar quarterback right before this all hit the fan. OU, Texas, Big ten teams are all going to want a piece of that ridiculous booster situation in the SEC.

You are correct. What recruit wants a million dollars to beat Iowa State? But to play against Alabama, Georgia , Florida.......you know the "pros"! The media darlings. All of this was put in motion long ago anticipating this Ft up NIL ruling. And those of us fearing this ruling would somehow ruin college football as we know it were labeled "old"....."out of touch"...."morons". Well I'd rather be an old, out of touch moron than some young, in the know useful idiot.

So congrats guys.............Brock is going to get his $8 from that t-shirt some kid bought. Iowa State may never again get a chance to play anyone worth a darn let alone for the whole ball of wax thanks to the work CMC and staff have put in, but what the heck right.........it's for the players! POWER TO THE PLAYERS!!!! Because once you familiarize yourself with the bondage of being a student athlete on full ride scholarship to an institute of higher learning........you prepare yourself to wear those shackles, right?

"FREE THE PLAYERS"

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You are correct. What recruit wants a million dollars to beat Iowa State? But to play against Alabama, Georgia , Florida.......you know the "pros"! The media darlings. All of this was put in motion long ago anticipating this Ft up NIL ruling. And those of us fearing this ruling would somehow ruin college football as we know it were labeled "old"....."out of touch"...."morons". Well I'd rather be an old, out of touch moron than some young, in the know useful idiot.

So congrats guys.............Brock is going to get his $8 from that t-shirt some kid bought. Iowa State may never again get a chance to play anyone worth a darn let alone for the whole ball of wax thanks to the work CMC and staff have put in, but what the heck right.........it's for the players! POWER TO THE PLAYERS!!!! Because once you familiarize yourself with the bondage of being a student athlete on full ride scholarship to an institute of higher learning........you prepare yourself to wear those shackles, right?

"FREE THE PLAYERS"
I love the people using this opportunity to tee off on fellow fans who don't hold the same opinion of NIL as them when:

1. NIL did not cause this

2. Nobody's opinion on this board had any influence on the highest court in the land determining the NCAA was violating federal antitrust laws

By all means, don't let those two facts get in the way of you grinding your axe and screaming at people stuck in the same boat with you.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
If SEC schools will be getting $80 million each with OU and Bevo, they will have $10 million a year to spend on player "educational assistance grants" averaging $120,000 per scholarship, and still be drawing more per school than any Big 10 team is getting now. Ohio State, Michigan, and PSU will be forced to follow suit, or their players will go to Vandy instead and be perfectly rational for doing so.

It's ******* happening. The fallout is going to be immense.

Reactions: motorcy90

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It just feels at the end of the day we are seeing the end of college football as we loved it. Personally I just want to get to the end so I can move on with life. Let the greed play out and I feel will kill the golden goose as another poster said earlier.

All these years when I would see something like Michigan/Maryland football up on the TV schedule and have pretty much zero interest and now we're going to see all sorts of this type of matchup.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
That's just it though, if you're of the opinion that the Big 10 needs to do something to counter the SEC move, adding ISU and Kansas isn't it.

The Big 10 could add schools that at least approach that level but they can't do it in the next five years. By the time they're able to make those moves, who the hell knows what the college football landscape will look like.
What two schools are available that approach the level of UT and OU? The ACC schools are contract locked for 15 more years that includes ND. NO SEC team is going to leave that conference when they are about to get wealthy beyond their wildest imagination. So that leaves the Pac 12 schools, if the Big 10 can nab 2 to 4 for them its would be a great coup, but I just cannot see it happening.

That leaves KU and ISU, or do nothing and watch those schools end up in the Pac 12 and ACC, while the SEC goings forward and dominates the football landscape for years to come.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
As I mentioned in another thread, while this all sucks I suppose if it has to happen I'm glad it happened when we are as nationally relevant as we've ever been. We can't change our geography. We can't change our viewership. But at this moment we have the most competitive product on the field we've had ever, as well as our most competent AD ever, so if this has to happen it may as well be now.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
who the hell cares how many schools the ACC, SEC, or Pac 12 have? Someone else made the comment that what happens if those other conferences expand to 20 or more and gobble up the schools anyone would want.

My answer would be, so what? Each Big 10 school would make far, far more money than any school in a 20+ team league, and that includes the SEC. There's diminishing returns by adding teams, especially if they're not blue bloods.

So if we end up in all of this with four conferences, 3 of them having 20+ members and the Big 10 at 14, I'm going to be very, very happy. The Big 10 would then have at least a ten million dollar per school per year advantage on the SEC and way, way more over everyone else.

So please, please let all these other conferences be stupid enough to add all these teams. The Pac 12 is a bit different because they need timezones more than a powerhouse team, but the ACC and SEC? Who would they even possibly add outside of OU and Texas that would generate more money for each school?

I agree with you but I think they only thing that could force the b1g's hand is if these 16-20 team leagues set up some kind of a pod system that allows them to hold 2 rounds of conference championship games. When the CCGs first came around, there was a 12 team minimum, a similar minimum to add pods and a semifinal round is the only reason the b1g would probably expand. That money might be too much to pass up. That's the only way I see the b1g having any pressure at all to expand, otherwise, they get to be choosy and only add teams they know will bring value.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
All these years when I would see something like Michigan/Maryland football up on the TV schedule and have pretty much zero interest and now we're going to see all sorts of this type of matchup.

Nah you’ll see Iowa state vs MD in some bastardized version of the NCAA while the top 40 programs bang on each other in their new league with lots of $$$

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Nah you’ll see Iowa state vs MD in some bastardized version of the NCAA while the top 40 programs bang on each other in their new league with lots of $$$

That would be interesting to see how they pick the top 40 teams.

Is that just chosen by TV ratings?

Nebraska is in no way a Top 40 football program currently, but do the efforts to keep them relevant by viewers by ESPN etc. pay off?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...te-if-the-big-12-implodes.264328/post-7817428

You need a time machine because you are stuck in 2010 where big markets mattered. Viewership is what matters today, not TV markets. And attendance is a proxy for viewership. ISU has shown they have fans who will watch. ISU is an up and coming program that gets viewers. If you listen to people outside of Iowa you would understand this. But Iowa fans think that ISU is worthless and ISU fans have too many memories of getting kicked in the nuts.
If you look at attendence in years past ISU is right behind EIU in attendence in the last full year of 2019, we are in the top 30 in 2018 and even as far back as 2015 we averaged over 56K a game.
Before that the numbers drop before we had expanded the seating capacity of the stadium.

The idea that size of the footprint and how many people a state has is outdated and dying, schools like Rutgers and Maryland which were great schools under the old formula now become drags on the rest of the conference because few care about attending their games and watching them at all.
Its now about butts in the seats and online views from streaming, both which ISU has.
NCAA Football Attendance | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
That would be interesting to see how they pick the top 40 teams.

Is that just chosen by TV ratings?

Nebraska is in no way a Top 40 football program currently, but do the efforts to keep them relevant by viewers by ESPN etc. pay off?

All driven by money to pay the players when they break away.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
SIAP. We knew there was gonna be shadiness but this is super shady. A&M wasn't even involved?

I mean damn, how can you talk about conference unity when you leave one school completely in the dark? But you know what TAM has to just bend over and take it. That speaks to how low "college" sports has got.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
What two schools are available that approach the level of UT and OU? The ACC schools are contract locked for 15 more years that includes ND. NO SEC team is going to leave that conference when they are about to get wealthy beyond their wildest imagination. So that leaves the Pac 12 schools, if the Big 10 can nab 2 to 4 for them its would be a great coup, but I just cannot see it happening.

That leaves KU and ISU, or do nothing and watch those schools end up in the Pac 12 and ACC, while the SEC goings forward and dominates the football landscape for years to come.

IMO now that the OU/Texas move is out. The next moves are the raiding of the ACC whose TV Network is financed by Disney.

Dabo Sweeney hinted as much in the ESPN article that mainly discussed reducing the number of regular season games if there is a 12 team playoff. At the end Dabo mentions big changes coming to college football.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
IMO now that the OU/Texas move is out. The next moves are the raiding of the ACC whose TV Network is financed by Disney.

Dabo Sweeney hinted as much in the ESPN article that mainly discussed reducing the number of regular season games if there is a 12 team playoff. At the end Dabo mentions big changes coming to college football.
The ACC TV contract is owned by ESPN, the SEC contract that starts in a couple of years is owned by ESPN. Disney owns ESPN, so why would Disney allow ESPN to hurt the ACC by taking schools from that conference?