The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
The big ten isn’t thinking about what’s best for the next 10 years. They are thinking about what’s best for the next 50.

And they aren’t adding a school that doesn’t expand their TV market. Big Ten currently reaches from Midwest to east coast. Lots of schools fit that “geographic footprint”.

ISU is not going to the Big Ten. And why would they want to?
Mentions thinking about the next 50 years and mentions tv market..........

• Haha
Reactions: tyrelrobert

The Far Cyde

Sep 15, 2019
As noted. You can replace TV with viewership or media.

But you should probably keep going with this same, awesome point youre making. As if it matters at all, and isn’t just semantics.

The fact remains. The big ten is not adding ISU. I know everyone is a little emotional right now, and it feels good to cling to the possibility. But it’s not happening.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
As noted. You can replace TV with viewership or media.

But you should probably keep going with this same, awesome point youre making. As if it matters at all, and isn’t just semantics.

The fact remains. The big ten is not adding ISU. I know everyone is a little emotional right now, and it feels good to cling to the possibility. But it’s not happening.
No they are not semantics because they are completely different things. Iowa State from a television market to the BIG is awful. Iowa State to the BIG is decent from a viewership standpoint and one of the better actual possibilities. The ACC schools are not an option for them. The SEC schools aren’t an option for them. Maybe in a perfect scenario they could pull a PAC 12 team but I don’t buy that.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
No they are not semantics because they are completely different things. Iowa State from a television market to the BIG is awful. Iowa State to the BIG is decent from a viewership standpoint and one of the better actual possibilities. The ACC schools are not an option for them. The SEC schools aren’t an option for them. Maybe in a perfect scenario they could pull a PAC 12 team but I don’t buy that.

It's not a better option for the Big 10 than just not adding anyone. Why are you of the opinion that they have to have 16 teams?

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
It's not a better option for the Big 10 than just not adding anyone. Why are you of the opinion that they have to have 16 teams?
I think most people are saying if they are looking to expand, obviously no one knows that answer to that.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I think most people are saying if they are looking to expand, obviously no one knows that answer to that.

That's just it though, if you're of the opinion that the Big 10 needs to do something to counter the SEC move, adding ISU and Kansas isn't it.

The Big 10 could add schools that at least approach that level but they can't do it in the next five years. By the time they're able to make those moves, who the hell knows what the college football landscape will look like.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The big ten isn’t thinking about what’s best for the next 10 years. They are thinking about what’s best for the next 50.

And they aren’t adding a school that doesn’t expand their TV market. Big Ten currently reaches from Midwest to east coast. Lots of schools fit that “geographic footprint”.

ISU is not going to the Big Ten. And why would they want to?
If the B1G is so forward thinking why the hell did they add Rutgers and Maryland, a move that would never happen today. That was one of the most short sided moves in conference realignment history.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If the B1G is so forward thinking why the hell did they add Rutgers and Maryland, a move that would never happen today. That was one of the most short sided moves in conference realignment history.
Easy...because if they could put the BTN on the cable subscription in NJ/NY and MD they would make an outrageous amount of money.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Why would the B1G want KU? I don't get it? Basketball doesn't move the needle at all.... and besides.... KU basketball is as slimy as it gets and nearly every year is faced with allegations and possible suspensions, etc.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Easy...because if they could put the BTN on the cable subscription in NJ/NY and MD they would make an outrageous amount of money.
The days of service providers forcing subscribers to pay for things they don't want are quickly fading, and now they are stuck with a team that no one cares about even in their own market for the foreseeable future. That's my point. They couldn't see more than 5 years down the road when they made that move.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Seems like these conferences don’t like to wait around to see what happens. If someone comes available, they act. What’s to stop the SEC, ACC and PAC 12 from going to 18 teams each in two years? Then what is left for the Big 10? UNKNOWNS. No company/business/entity that I know willingly accepts more uncertainty where certainties can be had.

• Useful
Reactions: t-noah

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Why? Unless there are some big dogs in the pac in play I don’t see any more moves by the big or sec.
So say the SEC moves up to 16 the PAC 12 tries to take 4 teams to get to 16 and the BIG is going to feel the pressure to match that. Once the inertia of people moving breaks it’s going to be a free for all to keep up with the other conferences.

• Useful
Reactions: t-noah

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I just don’t see a scenario where the only move is Texas and Oklahoma.

so you think the Big 10 will keep pace with the SEC adding OU and Texas by...adding ISU?

That makes absolutely no sense, you're advocating the Big 10 to add teams just to add teams for no apparent benefit to the Big 10.

The days of service providers forcing subscribers to pay for things they don't want are quickly fading, and now they are stuck with a team that no one cares about even in their own market for the foreseeable future. That's my point. They couldn't see more than 5 years down the road when they made that move.

I think the Rutgers addition is the exact reason the Big 10 isn't adding anyone in this round of realignment. The schools they would want aren't available right now. The most important thing really is if all that ends up happening is OU and Texas go to the SEC, nothing really changes for the Big 10. If the SEC leaves the NCAA and starts their own league, adding Iowa State or Kansas isn't going to keep Ohio State around.

The Big 10 media rights expires after next season I believe so Ohio State has a **** ton of leverage right now (as if they don't always)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Oh man I just realized that this will be the 'thing' that gets kicked up over and over again on the talking heads shows throughout the fall like we all needed to hear about Texas and the SEC more.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
So say the SEC moves up to 16 the PAC 12 tries to take 4 teams to get to 16 and the BIG is going to feel the pressure to match that. Once the inertia of people moving breaks it’s going to be a free for all to keep up with the other conferences.
The idea is to maximize revenue, not be the first to get to 16. We aren’t heading to four power conferences. We’re heading to one super conference.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Why would the B1G want KU? I don't get it? Basketball doesn't move the needle at all.... and besides.... KU basketball is as slimy as it gets and nearly every year is faced with allegations and possible suspensions, etc.

KU and ISU have equal chances of going to the Big 10 in my opinion…not very good. They are in no better spot than us from an outside view. Of course there could be a lot of handshakes that we have no idea about.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
so you think the Big 10 will keep pace with the SEC adding OU and Texas by...adding ISU?

That makes absolutely no sense, you're advocating the Big 10 to add teams just to add teams for no apparent benefit to the Big 10.

I think the Rutgers addition is the exact reason the Big 10 isn't adding anyone in this round of realignment. The schools they would want aren't available right now. The most important thing really is if all that ends up happening is OU and Texas go to the SEC, nothing really changes for the Big 10. If the SEC leaves the NCAA and starts their own league, adding Iowa State or Kansas isn't going to keep Ohio State around.

The Big 10 media rights expires after next season I believe so Ohio State has a **** ton of leverage right now (as if they don't always)
If the PAC 12 expand to 16 along with the SEC then the BIG is going to be worried that when something future happens they are stuck with Cincinnati or someone who isn’t even in a current P5. It will be 4 16 team conferences.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

who the hell cares how many schools the ACC, SEC, or Pac 12 have? Someone else made the comment that what happens if those other conferences expand to 20 or more and gobble up the schools anyone would want.

My answer would be, so what? Each Big 10 school would make far, far more money than any school in a 20+ team league, and that includes the SEC. There's diminishing returns by adding teams, especially if they're not blue bloods.

So if we end up in all of this with four conferences, 3 of them having 20+ members and the Big 10 at 14, I'm going to be very, very happy. The Big 10 would then have at least a ten million dollar per school per year advantage on the SEC and way, way more over everyone else.

So please, please let all these other conferences be stupid enough to add all these teams. The Pac 12 is a bit different because they need timezones more than a powerhouse team, but the ACC and SEC? Who would they even possibly add outside of OU and Texas that would generate more money for each school?