Why 98.9% and not 100% to make the ‘ship game now?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Here are some of the more confusing aspects of the tiebreaker explained:

If more than two teams tie for first place, the tiebreaker procedures below will be applied separately, to identify each participant in the championship game.

So, if there's a three-way tiebreaker for #1, we go down the tiebreaker rules until the #1 team is determined. Then, we start the tiebreaker over between the two remaining teams to determine the #2 team.

2. The Conference records of the three or more teams will be compared against the remaining team(s) in the Conference
standings from top to bottom.
a. When comparing against the remaining teams in the Conference standings any two-way ties will be broken by head-to-head
competition before the comparison begins.
b. If more than a two-way tie exists amongst the remaining teams in the Conference standings, the record against the collective
tied teams as a group will be used.

This means, for example, if there's a three-way tie for first and we are comparing record against other positions, any two way ties down the line are broken first (h2h) before doing this step, but three-way ties are NOT broken before doing it.

3. Scoring differential among the tied teams. The team or teams with the lowest difference between points scored and points
allowed in games vs. the tied teams is eliminated from consideration.

When calculating scoring differential, you drop the lowest team instead of selecting the highest team.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I was thinking that the #1 team was selected and the remaining two are then re-ranked. So if OU has the biggest scoring margin, then they get the #1 spot and then OSU/ISU are re-evaluatwd for the #2. Which would go to OSU with the h2h.

Looking at it, it appears that the tiebreaker is broken by eliminating one of the 3 teams from consideration as opposed to crowning a winner between the 3. Then the tiebreaker is broken H2H

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I was thinking that the #1 team was selected and the remaining two are then re-ranked. So if OU has the biggest scoring margin, then they get the #1 spot and then OSU/ISU are re-evaluatwd for the #2. Which would go to OSU with the h2h.
You'd think so, but no.

3. Scoring differential among the tied teams. The team or teams with the lowest difference between points scored and points
allowed in games vs. the tied teams is eliminated from consideration.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Why so?

Without penalties and poor execution in the red zone ISU wins going away today. They didn't do that, so there's reason for them to seek improvement going into next week. CMC should have all kinds of film to point out that needs tightening up to make sure no one's satisfied.

That's a good thing.

Just giving you a bit of a hard time here. There's always room for improvement. I'm personally going to savor this victory for a long, long time as a fan without picking the nits. There is no doubt in my mind that Coach Campbell will be going over game tape tonight and tomorrow looking for areas of improvement, but that's why he gets the big bucks.

Reactions: madguy30

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
it should be mentioned... OU might not play next week either. in which case, i am not sure how they get to the 3 way tie without the big 12 blowing up the plans for the championship game date.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just giving you a bit of a hard time here. There's always room for improvement. I'm personally going to savor this victory for a long, long time as a fan without picking the nits. There is no doubt in my mind that Coach Campbell will be going over game tape tonight and tomorrow looking for areas of improvement, but that's why he gets the big bucks.

Right on. I'm absolutely savoring it. I'd also imagine ISU's players themselves are aware of the need to be better.

Reactions: ISUChippewa

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Oklahoma and Oklahoma State would have beaten West Virginia. Iowa State would have lost to West Virginia. That is the tiebreaker in that scenario and the only scenario that keeps ISU out of the Big 12 Championship game.
Kansas isn’t beating Texas I think. So we should feel pretty good.

Reactions: Gordilly

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
it should be mentioned... OU might not play next week either.
Looking at cancelled games:

If ISU/WVU is cancelled, we're in.
If any OU or OSU game is cancelled, it doesn't matter (other than losing the chance of an upset putting us in). Exception is if either team has both remaining games cancelled but there are fewer than 5 games cancelled overall -- that would put that team out of the race.

Other games being cancelled might get more complicated. I have a version of my page here that attempts to handle those scenarios: http://bball.notnothing.net/big12.php?sport=fb&test=1

Reactions: FerShizzle

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Kansas isn’t beating Texas I think. So we should feel pretty good.

And I'd be very disappointed in Coach K. for not beating Baylor tomorrow.

I generally have respect for how KSU plays so I'll be actively rooting for them and once again give me some Baylor failure.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
And I'd be very disappointed in Coach K. for not beating Baylor tomorrow.

I generally have respect for how KSU plays so I'll be actively rooting for them and once again give me some Baylor failure.
Agreed. I have no problem rooting for KSU over Baylor anyway, but getting everything clinched tomorrow would be great.

• Agree
Reactions: FerShizzle

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Positive is ISU has a lot to improve on for next week as they really put themselves in position to screw it up today.
I will take this performance every game, good and bad. Every team has things to work on after a game. Overall, A- grade in my book.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I will take this performance every game, good and bad. Every team has things to work on after a game. Overall, A- grade in my book.

Yeah it was definitely good, was just one of those games where an offsides at the 4 yard line is a big no-no when it feels like every drive is important.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yeah it was definitely good, was just one of those games where an offsides at the 4 yard line is a big no-no when it feels like every drive is important.

One of those games? It's not Iowa State football until we have a false start or two in the red zone.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
MRED updated his site. It now states that we are pretty much in no matter what. A three way tie comes down to scoring differential between the three teams and OSU was blown out by Oklahoma.

1606514471431.png

Reactions: JM4CY