Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
14 lbs for two.

Yes, we do.

We'll graze for several days off of it.

And then make & freeze Turkey Noodle with what's left on the bone.

For perspective, I usually cook a 23-25lb bird.
This is the only day that we will make it and try to not have any more leftovers than possible.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A guy gave me a turkey fryer over the summer. Wife now says that is how the thanksgiving turkey will be done. This could be interesting. I wanted to go with a ham, but the wife can’t change any tradition and have to have a turkey for the five of us.
I got a new fryer but we were debating just having the ham we already got over getting a turkey. I said I was fine with just ham but Mrs. Velo looked anyway. As I predicted, she couldn't find anything under 20 lbs. so we are just having ham.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I got a new fryer but we were debating just having the ham we already got over getting a turkey. I said I was fine with just ham but Mrs. Velo looked anyway. As I predicted, she couldn't find anything under 20 lbs. so we are just having ham.
I did a quick measure. I will need 4-4.5 gallons of oil for this thing. Kinda spendy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is what is ticking me off, my folks have been doing good and now the part of the family that doesn't even call thinks "we all need to be there for Thanksgiving" Well hopefully this gets fixed and they cancel.
The in-laws had already nixed all but their kids and their families. We were the first to say we weren't coming after that even though we have all already had COVID. We didn't want to put Mrs. Velo's folks at risk. After we made the jump Mrs. Velo's one brother called to talk to her and decided they weren't either. Hopefully the brother in Central Iowa decides not to as well since they just got back from flying to Florida.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I did a quick measure. I will need 4-4.5 gallons of oil for this thing. Kinda spendy
I found 35 lbs. of canola oil at a restaurant supply company for 20 bucks. You said you couldn't do peanut oil, right?

A little late for a web purchase though. Check at Sam's or Costco. They generally have bulk quantities of the staples.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Would
I found 35 lbs. of canola oil at a restaurant supply company for 20 bucks. You said you couldn't do peanut oil, right?

A little late for a web purchase though. Check at Sam's or Costco. They generally have bulk quantities of the staples.
Would vegetable oil work? All the local stores have. No sams or costcos within reason either.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Would
Would vegetable oil work? All the local stores have. No sams or costcos within reason either.
Yeah, it would work. Just because you supposedly get the best flavor from a peanut oil, a vegetable oil will work.

I just got off the phone and Mrs. Velo found an 11 lb. bird so she was asking me how much oil I needed. She was at Costco and is buying a 35 lb. peanut oil which is about twice what I need so I may be making another bird for Christmas.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
They have had a real problem this year with all of the smaller Thanksgiving celebrations and everyone wanting a smaller bird. There aren't many left and there are a lot of big birds sitting around. A lot of people will go without rather than buying a bird that is 3 times or more too big. There may be a lot of clearance birds going cheap. (cheep? Sorry, I couldn't resist...)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They have had a real problem this year with all of the smaller Thanksgiving celebrations and everyone wanting a smaller bird. There aren't many left and there are a lot of big birds sitting around. A lot of people will go without rather than buying a bird that is 3 times or more too big. There may be a lot of clearance birds going cheap. (cheep? Sorry, I couldn't resist...)

Reactions: VeloClone

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
My boss essentially wants me to start babysitting 4 full time employees at work even though A) it’s not in my job description and B) I offered to become the manager that would be in charge of them back in the Spring and he turned me down. One of those 4 employees includes the person they picked to be that manager.

I’m thinking about telling him I’ll do it with a raise and the manager title since they have proven to not listen to me before since I don’t have that title.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron